An Endorsement That Actually Impresses Me

Cecilie1200

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Finally, someone made an endorsement that actually matters to me. While as a Gingrich supporter, I appreciate the endorsements of Todd Palin and the newspaper in New Hampshire, I don't actually know crap about either one of them. Thomas Sowell, on the other hand, is someone whose intelligence and common sense I admire greatly.

America needs a man of action | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

While the televised debates are what gave Newt Gingrich's candidacy a big boost, concrete accomplishments when in office are the real test. Gingrich engineered the first Republican takeover of the House of Representatives in 40 years — followed by the first balanced budget in 40 years. The media called it "the Clinton surplus" but all spending bills start in the House of Representatives, and Gingrich was Speaker of the House.

Speaker Gingrich also produced some long overdue welfare reforms, despite howls from liberals that the poor would be devastated. But nobody makes that claim any more.
Did Gingrich ruffle some feathers when he was Speaker of the House? Yes, enough for it to cost him that position. But he also showed that he could produce results.

In a world where we can make our choices only among the alternatives actually available, the question is whether Newt Gingrich is better than Barack Obama — and better than Mitt Romney.

Romney is a smooth talker, but what did he actually accomplish as governor of Massachusetts, compared to what Gingrich accomplished as Speaker of the House? When you don't accomplish much, you don't ruffle many feathers. But is that what we want?
Can you name one important positive thing that Romney accomplished as governor of Massachusetts? Can anyone? Does a candidate who represents the bland leading the bland increase the chances of victory in November 2012? A lot of candidates like that have lost, from Thomas E. Dewey to John McCain.

Those who want to concentrate on the baggage in Newt Gingrich's past, rather than on the nation's future, should remember what Winston Churchill said: "If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." If that means a second term for Barack Obama, then it means lost big time.

My thoughts exactly.

wow... that is indeed an impressive endorsement...

I don't much like Newt for any number of reasons...

but if Newt is good enough for Thomas Sewell, then... hmmm...

Well said by Mr. Sowell...thanks for sharing, Cecilie'. Great quote by Winston Churchill.

If one is a partisan rightist, sure, Sowell’s endorsement seems ‘impressive.’

But in the real world the subjective endorsement of a conservative by another conservative is meaningless.

Romney is a smooth talker, but what did he actually accomplish as governor of Massachusetts, compared to what Gingrich accomplished as Speaker of the House?

I guess we could ask Newt his thoughts on that:

The most exciting development of the past few weeks is what has been happening up in Massachusetts. The health bill that Governor Romney signed into law this month has tremendous potential to effect major change in the American health system.

We agree entirely with Governor Romney and Massachusetts legislators that our goal should be 100% insurance coverage for all Americans. Individuals without coverage often do not receive quality medical attention on par with those who do have insurance. We also believe strongly that personal responsibility is vital to creating a 21st Century Intelligent Health System. Individuals who can afford to purchase health insurance and simply choose not to place an unnecessary burden on a system that is on the verge of collapse; these free-riders undermine the entire health system by placing the onus of responsibility on taxpayers.

The Romney plan attempts to bring everyone into the system. The individual mandate requires those who earn enough to afford insurance to purchase coverage, and subsidies will be made available to those individuals who cannot afford insurance on their own. We agree strongly with this principle, but the details are crucial when it comes to the structure of this plan.

If one is a partisan rightist, sure, Sowell’s endorsement seems ‘impressive.’

But in the real world the subjective endorsement of a conservative by another conservative is meaningless.

I can't imagine what made you think a) that YOU have anything to do with "the real world", and b) that anyone gives a fat rat's ass what you "think".

Forum List

Back