An Athiest Student as she has claimed, brings a lawsuit with the help of the ACLU?

U.S. District Judge Ronald Lagueux rejected in his ruling on Wednesday the school's claims that the message in the mural, which opens with "Our Heavenly Father" and closes with "Amen," was purely secular.

"No amount of debate can make the School Prayer anything other than a prayer, and a Christian one at that," Lagueux wrote in a 40-page opinion.

Court orders removal of school prayer mural | Reuters

Original Intent falls victim to the flavor of the day.

I don't care what the banner said, it was a gift from the class of 1963 and has been hanging in the school for 49 years, now all of a sudden it's unconstitutional?

Glad I'm not a member of the class of 1963, I'd be asking for my money back plus interest for that gift to the school that 49 years later, they've decided to throw back in my face.

I can't understand why religious zealots would insist on pushing their religious beliefs in a public school. School children are a captive audience.

How would you react if your child came home and told you her atheist teacher had told the class there was no god?

How would you react if your child came home and told you that they had been kneeling on prayer rugs twice a day and praying to Allah and she asked if she could do it at home too?
If my child came home and wanted to pray to a false god like allah because other kids were doing it school I would pull her out of school so she won't get corrupted by evil.

I'd just say to my child the same thing my mom told me, "If all your little friends wanted to jump off a bridge, would you?"

How dare this girl not conform with the rest of the majority and shut and know what's good for her? History shows us that everything would be so much better if these people with sticks up their asses just kept their mouths shut and sucked it up.

:rolleyes:

I can't understand why religious zealots would insist on pushing their religious beliefs in a public school. School children are a captive audience.

How would you react if your child came home and told you her atheist teacher had told the class there was no god?

How would you react if your child came home and told you that they had been kneeling on prayer rugs twice a day and praying to Allah and she asked if she could do it at home too?

Religious zealots? The entire class of 1963? If the class of 1963 had given any other banner to the school and it had been displayed for more than 50 years, I would still be in favor of the school keeping the banner. Your other options aren't even close to what happened. A banner, given by a graduation class more than 50 years ago has now been banned from the school. If it said, the devil is king, I would still think the school had a right to display it.

It was perfectly allowable in 1963, so was segregation

How is it forcing a belief on her?

It isn’t, but that’s not the issue.

She has every right to look away, while another has every right to enjoy the view. Now if the banner was speaking to her, and saying that if you don't look at me, you will go to hell, then I can see there being a problem maybe, but that is not what was happening was it? Besides the banner had been in place since the 40's ? I feel so sorry for all those children that banner had sent to Hell...

It makes no difference how long the banner was present, just as it makes no difference the majority approves of the banner.

What do you mean, she didn't get her way?

The banner was in violation of the Establishment Clause long before the girl raised the issue – again, it’s not about the girl or what she wants, it’s only about the Constitution and its case law. Anyone could have questioned the banner’s constitutionality – indeed, it was incumbent upon the administration to remove the banner on its own, not because of a lawsuit.

Religious zealots? The entire class of 1963? If the class of 1963 had given any other banner to the school and it had been displayed for more than 50 years, I would still be in favor of the school keeping the banner. Your other options aren't even close to what happened. A banner, given by a graduation class more than 50 years ago has now been banned from the school. If it said, the devil is king, I would still think the school had a right to display it.

It was perfectly allowable in 1963, so was segregation

Another Democrat idea.

You people are pretty good at causing trouble.

Yes, an ACLU suit against a religious banner is top story on all the networks

But, then again in the rightwing everyone hates Christians world, I imagine it got top billing.

I suggest that all the folks that hate any mentioning of God just give me all of your money that has "In God We Trust" on it and you can go on hating all you want.

I feel it's a fair trade.

It wasn't us who forced that dumb motto on our currency......it was the religious nuts

But you have no problem accepting said money, or spending it, or giving it to your kid in allowance, even though its probably more influencing than some banner that was given to a school by it's graduating class 49 years ago.

Yes, an ACLU suit against a religious banner is top story on all the networks

But, then again in the rightwing everyone hates Christians world, I imagine it got top billing.

I suggest that all the folks that hate any mentioning of God just give me all of your money that has "In God We Trust" on it and you can go on hating all you want.

I feel it's a fair trade.

It wasn't us who forced that dumb motto on our currency......it was the religious nuts

You mean the moral majority.

You have no idea how outside the mainstream you are.

I guess that's why you kooks wanna indoctrinate our kids.

Last edited:
Ok....if this is the case we are talking about, it is a blatant violation of the school prayer edict. Your religion has no place in public schools. It does as much to protect your children as it does an Atheists

I don't see it that way. It was a gift to the school by the graduating class of 1963. It's now part of their history. All of a sudden, more than 50 years later, it's wrong to display it?

In 1963 you could hold public prayer in school and many schools opened the day with the Lords prayer.

The mural was a throwback to an earlier era and should have come down decades ago

all the more reason to keep it up, it's historical.

I don't see it that way. It was a gift to the school by the graduating class of 1963. It's now part of their history. All of a sudden, more than 50 years later, it's wrong to display it?

In 1963 you could hold public prayer in school and many schools opened the day with the Lords prayer.

The mural was a throwback to an earlier era and should have come down decades ago

So are "Whites only" signs

They came down in 1963 also

This banner has been up for 49 years. All of a sudden because of one bratty girl, they have to take it down. It's a highschool for goodness sake.. do you really belive that banner is going to influence anyone not already a Christian to say a Christian prayer?

God bless the ACLU :eusa_angel:
Quite the opposite, God doesn't want anything to do with the aclu. They are about as ungodly as anyone.

Hear say. I'm impressed that God communicates with you directly. It would be more believable though if you could talk the big guy into speaking to all of us. I for one would cast aside my atheism and accept "God" with such a demonstration of it's existance... Lacking a real irrefutable example of "God's" voice to my own ears I do not believe you at all ... In fact I believe you are bat shit crazy.
When the Lord was on the cross, their were those who said to him," if you are who you say you are, then call upon your angels to save you", and/or have them rescue you (or) come down from there or something like that, but he didnot, because if that would have been the task in which would have been issued and/or created by him (to show the world of non-believers that mocked him upon who it is that he really was), it would have happened in that way, but his task was to save us through his sacrifice from our sins whom did believe at that time, and still do to this day, where as it was not for him to become a witness for those who saw him as just a man and/or a criminal upon that cross, but rather to become a witness only to those who believed in his sacrifice found in silence there of. You sound as one of those who mocked Christ while upon the cross, just think about that for a minute or two in your life as you now know it to be upon this earth when commenting like this. Does that make you feel good now about yourself? Just saying !!!

This banner has been up for 49 years. All of a sudden because of one bratty girl, they have to take it down. It's a highschool for goodness sake.. do you really belive that banner is going to influence anyone not already a Christian to say a Christian prayer?

Would a "whites only" sign really hurt anyone? It's been 49 years

Would a "whites only" sign really hurt anyone? It's been 49 years

That's another topic. If it had been in the school for 49 years, a gift from a graduating class, I would be against removing it now. And I find that sign really offensive.

There is nothing in the constitution that guarentees you the right not to be offended.

Doctors are required to read medical journals to keep abreast of new medicines and medical procedures.

Likewise, lawyers are required to read legal journals to keep abreast of new developments in law.

The relevant case law was handed down in 2005. School boards, school districts, and state departments of education have lawyers on staff to ensure compliance and trouble-shoot possible legal issues. Someone should have at least reviewed the banner for possible violations, and if likely a violation was present, remove the banner accordingly.

That’s something’s ‘historical’ doesn’t mean it’s Constitutional, as the Court noted in Lawrence v. Texas (2003): ‘neither history nor tradition could save a[n illegal law] from constitutional attack.’

She should have just kept her head down, and said she agreed with every else, right?

Typical talking point used by the left when ever they want to make a statement, where as they try and tie racism into everything, in order to highjack the power that is found in the resolve of racism, to then cross that power over into other subjects in which have nothing to do with racism, but in their mind gives them that same power to win the debate or conversation over with the use of that power.

This is an old tactic now, and no one is buying into it any longer... Nice try though! :clap2:

i wonder how they'd feel if their kid's teacher explained that the messiah hasn't come yet and that jesus didn't fulfill the prophesies.

somehow, i suspect they wouldn't be so thrilled about religion mixing with education at that point.

i say, as always, if you can't spend 8 hours a day without praying, you should be in a parochial school. it's really that simple.
If the majorities will was honored as it should have been in this nation on these subjects over the years, we would not have to worry about a school teaching or ever trying what you just hypothetically suggested they would on our children, but since that has not been the case anylonger in America, I don't doubt anything that will be tried next upon our children in this nation, and yes I am sure we wouldn't like it along with all the other things we don't like that is going on against us/we the majority in this nation right now.

Typical talking point used by the left when ever they want to make a statement, where as they try and tie racism into everything, in order to highjack the power that is found in the resolve of racism, to then cross that power over into other subjects in which have nothing to do with racism, but in their mind gives them that same power to win the debate or conversation over with the use of that power.

This is an old tactic now, and no one is buying into it any longer... Nice try though! :clap2:

It doesn't tie segregation to prayer in school

It ties two archaic practices from the 60s that we have since moved past

New Topics

Forum List

Back