An asteroid big enough to destroy New York just missed earth and even NASA didn't notice

EndTimeHeadlines? :D

LoL on your sources - but not to worry, this one is gonna getcha this Sunday!

ASTEROID WARNING: Dangerous asteroid heading to Earth THIS WEEK
Eventually, one will. Sooner, rather than later.

You believe we were created from pond scum, but mock these REGULAR catastrophic events.

The chances of something like the one that offed the dinosaurs in our lifetime is rather slim. But you go ahead and take cover under your desk :wink:

Yeah, something that happens once every 65,000,000 years isn't a major concern for me. As I don't think 'soon' nor 'regular' mean what these folks think they mean.
Happens a LOT more often than that. Look at the moon. Jupiter in RECENT years. If that event happened to earth, EVERYTHING would have been wiped out.

A large asteroid didn't make the dinosaurs become extinct, but a global flood. An asteroid impact and volcanoes wouldn't be enough. However, you're right in that an asteroid hitting the earth is slim in our lifetime, but it has happened before. Here are the 10 biggest.

Asteroid Impacts: 10 Biggest Known Hits

Per your link the most recent was 35 million years ago but interesting read - thanks.

And the scientific consensus on the dinos was an asteroid.

A Theory Set in Stone: An Asteroid Killed the Dinosaurs, After All

An asteroid big enough to destroy the earth? It would've left a ginormous mark greater than Yucatan and there isn't one large enough to get all the dinosaurs. Thus, they hypothesize the asteroid caused volcanoes and global warming (which doesn't make sense because the dinosaurs thrived in that environment). The power of water is one that causes the most killing of humans and animals. It would take a global flood to kill all of the dinosaurs. That said, I don't think they were all killed. Some survived and still exist to this day. Thus, the occasional report of a dinosaur-like creature being spotted.

Your theory is not without merit - Yucatan impact indeed could have set of volcanoes and water events. Scientists believe that many birds and reptiles may have evolved from the dinosaur but thankfully none of us has to worry about stumbling on to a T-Rex on our next backpacking trip. :cool-45:

The idea that birds—the most diverse group of land vertebrates, with nearly 10,000 living species—descended directly from dinosaurs isn’t new. It was raised by the English biologist Thomas Henry Huxley in his 1870 treatise, Further Evidence of the Affinity between the Dinosaurian Reptiles and Birds. Huxley, a renowned anatomist perhaps best remembered for his ardent defense of Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution, saw little difference between the bone structure of Compsognathus, a dinosaur no bigger than a turkey, and Archaeopteryx, which was discovered in Germany and described in 1861. When Huxley looked at ostriches and other modern birds, he saw smallish dinosaurs. If a baby chicken’s leg bones were enlarged and fossilized, he noted, “there would be nothing in their characters to prevent us from referring them to the Dinosauria.”​

dinosaurs-living-descendants-69657706

How can you judge the creation theory if atheist scientists won't listen to it? They've already eliminated it from their so-called "science" claiming the supernatural isn't scientific. In fact, they say it's religion and not science. That's not way I learned science works. If it's valid, then it should be considered. You mention Thomas Huxley who was Charles Darwin's bulldog and spokesman. He defended Darwin and his theories, but today's evolution have shown Darwin was wrong about all his theories including "survival of the fittest" with the exception of natural selection which was founded first by creation scientist Edward Blyth.

If you want to talk about a theory that has no merit, then it's birds evolved from dinosaurs. It's impossible because they would not be able to breathe normally if they had the skeletal structure of the bird.

And this theory they have concocted now ("evolved" from asteroid only) about the Yucatan asteroid that set off the Deccan Traps volcanoes and the global warming that occurred afterward isn't enough to kill all the dinosaurs. For one, you admitted that a huge asteroid striking the earth and killing millions was highly unlikely. Let's look at that report again describing the Yucatan crater. Second, it was hypothesized by a professor from my alma mater, so I have heard and read plenty about it.

A large asteroid didn't make the dinosaurs become extinct, but a global flood. An asteroid impact and volcanoes wouldn't be enough. However, you're right in that an asteroid hitting the earth is slim in our lifetime, but it has happened before. Here are the 10 biggest.

Asteroid Impacts: 10 Biggest Known Hits

Per your link the most recent was 35 million years ago but interesting read - thanks.

And the scientific consensus on the dinos was an asteroid.

A Theory Set in Stone: An Asteroid Killed the Dinosaurs, After All

An asteroid big enough to destroy the earth? It would've left a ginormous mark greater than Yucatan and there isn't one large enough to get all the dinosaurs. Thus, they hypothesize the asteroid caused volcanoes and global warming (which doesn't make sense because the dinosaurs thrived in that environment). The power of water is one that causes the most killing of humans and animals. It would take a global flood to kill all of the dinosaurs. That said, I don't think they were all killed. Some survived and still exist to this day. Thus, the occasional report of a dinosaur-like creature being spotted.

Your theory is not without merit - Yucatan impact indeed could have set of volcanoes and water events. Scientists believe that many birds and reptiles may have evolved from the dinosaur but thankfully none of us has to worry about stumbling on to a T-Rex on our next backpacking trip. :cool-45:

The idea that birds—the most diverse group of land vertebrates, with nearly 10,000 living species—descended directly from dinosaurs isn’t new. It was raised by the English biologist Thomas Henry Huxley in his 1870 treatise, Further Evidence of the Affinity between the Dinosaurian Reptiles and Birds. Huxley, a renowned anatomist perhaps best remembered for his ardent defense of Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution, saw little difference between the bone structure of Compsognathus, a dinosaur no bigger than a turkey, and Archaeopteryx, which was discovered in Germany and described in 1861. When Huxley looked at ostriches and other modern birds, he saw smallish dinosaurs. If a baby chicken’s leg bones were enlarged and fossilized, he noted, “there would be nothing in their characters to prevent us from referring them to the Dinosauria.”​

dinosaurs-living-descendants-69657706

How can you judge the creation theory if atheist scientists won't listen to it? They've already eliminated it from their so-called "science" claiming the supernatural isn't scientific. In fact, they say it's religion and not science. That's not way I learned science works. If it's valid, then it should be considered. You mention Thomas Huxley who was Charles Darwin's bulldog and spokesman. He defended Darwin and his theories, but today's evolution have shown Darwin was wrong about all his theories including "survival of the fittest" with the exception of natural selection which was founded first by creation scientist Edward Blyth.

If you want to talk about a theory that has no merit, then it's birds evolved from dinosaurs. It's impossible because they would not be able to breathe normally if they had the skeletal structure of the bird.

And this theory they have concocted now ("evolved" from asteroid only) about the Yucatan asteroid that set off the Deccan Traps volcanoes and the global warming that occurred afterward isn't enough to kill all the dinosaurs. For one, you admitted that a huge asteroid striking the earth and killing millions was highly unlikely. Let's look at that report again describing the Yucatan crater. Second, it was hypothesized by a professor from my alma mater, so I have heard and read plenty about it.

The idea that Darwin has been debunked is rather a stretch but I don't question the fact that many people believe that:
For Darwin Day, 6 facts about the evolution debate

It's true, creationism cannot be studied with conventional science. But that doesn't mean that as you suggest, scientists are all atheists. There are a good number of renowned scientists that are Christians AND agnostics. In fact, the two notions are not mutually exclusive - they are not enemies and I see nothing wrong with teaching both in the classroom starting in high school, as long as religion is taught as philosophy and eastern religion is touched on as well as western.
Evolution and Religion Can Coexist, Scientists Say

But thanks, as a spiritual agnostic, these conversations have always been interesting to me.

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." —Albert Einstein

Forum List

Back