An Aside on Iraq Government

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.nationalreview.com/thecorner/05_04_03_corner-archive.asp#060074

TALABANI IN 2005 [Cliff May]
It’s already been reported in this space that the veteran Kurdish leader, Jalal Talabani, has been named Iraq’s president. Let me add this: A Kurdish president of Iraq? A few years ago, such a thing would have been unthinkable. Hearty congratulations are in order.

In 2003, his son, Qubad Talabani, and I were speaking together at a university in the Middle West (yes, the Middle West, not the Middle East). I gave what I would call a hard-hitting speech (others might call it something else) about the evils of terrorism and the neo-fascist ideologies that drive and justify it.

Afterwards, I asked Qubad: “Did anything I say offend you in any way? Anything you’d disagree with?”

“No,” he said. “Sounded about right to me.”

Hours later we were in a car together when he got a call on his cell phone. The conversation was spirited– and in Kurdish.

“That was my mother,” he explained. “Calling from Salaimaniya. The Americans are parachuting in right now.”

“What’s the local reaction?”

”People are making little American flags to wave. And preparing supper for the troops.”
Posted at 04:12 PM

I enjoyed watching the TV coverage of the Kurds driving around in their cars, honking their horns, and the church bells ringing in celebration of the election of a Kurd as president of Iraq. Since the Kurds have had their own government for several years, the Kurd was probably the most qualified person (had actual government experience under his belt) to be elected to the position.

Forum List

Back