An armed soldier in every school?

Do you support having armed soldiers guard our schools?

• Yes, it makes more sense than guarding schools overseas.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No, it would be a waste of defense spending

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Other, I'll explain in my post

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
Eh.. just accept that in a free society that's growing in coarseness, lack of morality and failing community interest that such tragedies are inevitable to continue and become far more frequent...such is the reality.

One thing is for sure though, get government more involved and the problem will become far worse.

Last edited:
The truth is that there is no easy answer to this problem!

All one can say when it comes to protecting schools is that security must be tighter within the school and parents must control their children more stringently ... and possibly weapons training can be given to a selected few of the school staff as defensive measures.

But then.... what happens if the insane killer goes into a Mall rampage? or a movie theater like it happened some months ago? or any other public place?

Sadly it's a very difficult situation.

I used to go to a school with metal detectors and armed security shortly after the Columbine shooting and it helped nothing because most schools shooting are isolated incidents involving mentally unstable people. All it did was turn our school into a prison atmosphere.

How do we solve the problem of shootings at movie theaters? Keep an armed guard at every theater? How about malls and shopping centers? Hey, let's just keep armed military on every street corner and we will never have another shooting in the U.S.

Tragedies happen. Shit happens. Creating an environment of fear everywhere we go will never stop that.

We're not sure what benefit we're getting for having our soldiers in Afghanistan, but would rather have a few of them guard schools from crazies.

Is this a workable idea? I can't think of a downside for our soldiers each spending a few weeks in one of their home area schools. It would help morale and prevent more massacres.

Why did you make this about politics?

Can't we please stop using this horror as a way to push political agendas?

Bloomberg was doing it yesterday before the body count was even in:

Michael Bloomberg: Gun Control Needs 'Immediate Action' From Obama In Wake Of School Shooting

Why not just train a few teachers and administrators in each school on how to handle weapons and assault situations?

I would just want to be absolutely sure that Mrs. Crabapple isn't going to freeze up at the very moment her training needs to god forbid be put into action.

the pure thought of some of my past teachers going all rambo, is about the funniest god damn ever.

I used to go to a school with metal detectors and armed security shortly after the Columbine shooting and it helped nothing because most schools shooting are isolated incidents involving mentally unstable people. All it did was turn our school into a prison atmosphere.

How do we solve the problem of shootings at movie theaters? Keep an armed guard at every theater? How about malls and shopping centers? Hey, let's just keep armed military on every street corner and we will never have another shooting in the U.S.

Tragedies happen. Shit happens. Creating an environment of fear everywhere we go will never stop that.

Shit happens, as you say, but shit can be controlled to some extent, surely its better to have a prison atmosphere or a controlled atmosphere... with an element of safety, than total anarchy.

Shit happens, as you say, but shit can be controlled to some extent, surely its better to have a prison atmosphere or a controlled atmosphere... with an element of safety, than total anarchy.

This CT school had a brand new state of the art security system. The school doors are locked and visitors need to be beeped in. This kid shot his way into the school. WTF kind of security system can't keep a gunman out for a few minutes until the cops arrive?? The makers of that bogus "security system" need to get sued.

We're not sure what benefit we're getting for having our soldiers in Afghanistan, but would rather have a few of them guard schools from crazies.

Yes, indeed.

School Teacher In Israel Ready To Perform Her Duties. Can you identify the piece of equipment that she has that her Connecticut counterparts do not have?

Ts1So.jpg

Why not just train a few teachers and administrators in each school on how to handle weapons and assault situations?

Most of them would never shoot at anyone, even in self-defense. I prefer a trained soldier, but would say yes to anyone who would provide some protection and/or deterrence.

If we're going to go the armed deterrence route, it make much more financial sense to not pay teachers AND soldiers. We're training the soldiers already.

It is not the military's job to police our schools, but armed guards, and metal detectors would be prudent!

Is this a workable idea? I can't think of a downside for our soldiers each spending a few weeks in one of their home area schools. It would help morale and prevent more massacres.

Florida, well at least Hillsborough County, already has "resource officers" who are armed sheriff deputies at each school. I don't have so much of a problem with that as I do with the idea of arming teachers although, I doubt a resource officer could have stopped what happened in Newtown unless maybe the shooter walked right by the resource officer and happened to be stopped for questioning.

Immie

That would take almost every combat trained soldier. There are 88,982 elementary schools alone. Probably half a million when ya count all schools and libraries. I don't think it is likely that we would post nearly all of our combat ready soldiers out in schools and leave none to gaurd our military bases.

Forum List

Back