An Apple A Day ~ Forbidden Fruit? Share your Favorite Apple Treats here!

freedombecki

Let's go swimmin'!
May 3, 2011
My house
First, before we get into the fun of ways with apples, did you know the following updates in knowledge of this fruit that carries a nearly worn-out shibboleth, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away."*

1. Apple antioxidants fight cell damage and an apple a day does reduce the risk of cancer**.
  2. Apple phytonutrients are known to fight heart disease by decreasing the presence of LDLs (low-density lipoproteins)
  3. An apple flavonoid, phloridzin, fights osteoporosis by strengthening bone tissue.
  4. Pectin in your daily apple guards your health in two ways: first, it aids digestion because it contains fiber that is essential in gut health. Second, apple pectin supplies galacturonic acid, which is a substance that decreases the body’s insulin needs and, in turn, may assist in managing diabetes. Now add half a teaspoon of cinnamon to your apple slices (with skins) and really kick adult-onset diabetes in the butt!
  5. Apple cider vinegar prevents kidney stone formation. Apple Jack, anyone?
  6. The complex carbohydrate in apples provides a sustained energy boost that unlike simple sugars, gives you energy for a long time on its 65 calories per apple.
Now, let the games begin. Please add YOUR favorite apple recipe here. I'll start with the video below.

*Of course, that's provided you have a balanced diet in other aspects of human dietary health--found in the basic 4 (dairy, meat/fish, grains, vegetables) that are the foundation of good health.

**Surely one of the most important apple health benefits is their ability to help prevent different types of cancer. For example, according to a study that was conducted with 10,000 people, those who consumed apples regularly decreased their chances of developing lung cancer by 50 percent. The risk of breast cancer was found to have fallen by 17 percent. One study conducted on rats concluded that an extract made from apple skins decreased their chances of getting colon cancer by 43 percent. Other studies have confirmed these results by concluding that apples generally reduce the risk of colon cancer and keep the digestive tract healthy. Apple skin extract was also found to decrease the risk of liver cancer by 57 percent.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=670ykvA4FCg]How to Make Perfect Candy Apples - YouTube[/ame]

Carmel Apples!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNEL1BrHR5I]Making Carmel Candy Apples with Chef Paul Prudhomme - YouTube[/ame]

Diabetic and need sugarless apple treats?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muX9Fbq7-s8"]Smart Tips - Prevent Brown Apples by Michelle Karam - YouTube[/ame]

Oh my.

I LOVE apples. Not because I like to eat them...but because my kids love them, and snack on them..and they're CHEAP.

Mostly they eat them off the core...but we also occasionally cook them in the microwave, cored and filled with butter, sugar and cinnamon....

I've stuffed duck with a mixture of apple, sage, and black pepper...lots of pepper, lots of sage. Yummy.

I've also cooked them with pork in a variety of ways...

My mom has a fresh apple cake that is the best thing you've ever eaten...I haven't made it in years though and don't have the recipe. I'll have to ask her for it.

Do you hate salad? Well, I hate yellow lettuce too. However, nowadays you can go to the store and find a commodity known as "Baby salad mix" What a difference it makes if you get a mix of green and red baby lettuces and salad herbs that taste like a zinger, not to mention your extra potent zing of B-vitamins for the active life!

This is terrific if served with Raspberry Vinaigrette dressing too!

Chicken Apple Pecan Salad

spring-salad-copy-500x333.jpg

Photo Credits

a package of chilled baby green lettuce mix (dark green lettuce, some red leaf, some spinach, herbs--all baby sized)- rinsed and patted dry with paper towels
feta cheese (crumbled, or your favorite type of bleu or other cheese if preferred)
apples sliced wafer-thin and dipped in lemon juice on both sides
a string-shredded carrot (graters work well)
craisins (dried cranberries)
hot, fresh grilled chicken breasts, sliced in 1/4" across width, 2-3 oz per serving
1 slice canadian bacon, sliced 1/8" strips, cut halfwise once pan-grilled with pecans:
15 fresh small pecan halves (they're "wild" or just use grocer's offering pecan halves)
a few pan-toasted garlic-butter whole wheat bread, cut into 5/8" cubes (more or less) A quarter of a slice of whole wheat bread per serving.
poppy seeds
chilled raspberry vinaigrette dressing

Chilled lettuce bed: toss baby greens, carrots, Canadian bacon slices, pecans, craisins, and cheese
Make a rosette by arranging lemon-treated thin apple slices radiating from a base. Place chicken slices atop flat rosette of apples in a pleasing way. Top with fresh cubed garlic toast and 1/2 t. poppy seeds. Drizzle with a little raspberry vinaigrette dressing from the fridge (or not, your preference)

You have just had a true feast minus the empty and excessive calories. Enjoy!

This salad makes all other salads (foods, too) undesirable, mostly, and you can add your favorite antioxidants for variety--thin slices of mushrooms, celery, bright green chives, etc. for a change. Try the version listed above first, though. It's not a salad, it's what football or basketball stars should use in the brain food it offers. And it keeps the festive feeling of a real feast without a lot of empty calories.

Last edited:
Oh my.

I LOVE apples. Not because I like to eat them...but because my kids love them, and snack on them..and they're CHEAP.

Mostly they eat them off the core...but we also occasionally cook them in the microwave, cored and filled with butter, sugar and cinnamon....

I've stuffed duck with a mixture of apple, sage, and black pepper...lots of pepper, lots of sage. Yummy.

I've also cooked them with pork in a variety of ways...

My mom has a fresh apple cake that is the best thing you've ever eaten...I haven't made it in years though and don't have the recipe. I'll have to ask her for it.
M-m-m-mmm! I hope you do get the recipe and share it here, koshergrl! That would be so far out of sight!

Apples! I do enjoy them, especially sliced with some natural peanut butter on them. I tossed about 25 peeled and cored apples (Gala and McItosh) into the crock pot with a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon and lemon peel last week. Cooked on low about 3 1/2 hours. Delicious apple sauce! Carametl apples ... yum! Found a good recipe for caramel apples on pinterst (pinterst, you time sucker you! lol) that I'm going to try. Also saw that instead of plunging the whole apple into the caramel, slice the apple (maybe 1/2 inch or so) and dip the slices in for more caramel coverage! Apple juice doesn't agree with me and if I'm hungry and eat an apple it just makes me hungrier. Weird.

take a good sized granny smith apple...core it 2/3 s of the way....peel the top 1/3 of the peel....place on a square of foil....

mix:

brown sugar, butter, pecans and raisins together......stuff into the hollow core and wrap with foil.....

you can toss in wood stove, camp fire or oven at about 350

Timely thread. Thanks! I love them in a salad very close in ingredients to the one you shared above.

I found this one on Pinterest where I find so many great recipes. I have not tried it yet but it looks good.

Apple Nachos

Apple Nachos! | Manifest Vegan

I love Honey Crisp apples to pick and eat from the local farm.

Forum List

Back