An amazing work-out

Evangelical

Apr 18, 2009
Oh man, I just had an amazing work-out today; chest-back split. It was truly phenomenal feeling. So does anyone else lift? :) If so let's talk!

I used to throw iron about, some. For a couple years in the 80s.

Is there a whole lot of say about it?

My favorite technique was working with two 25 lb dumbells.

I'd imagine that the weights were swords and then do katas with them until I couldn't continue the process and maintain total control over the weights as I threw them about.

The beauty of this was that it demanded that I use the full range of motion for my upper body, while maintaining balance as I threw those weights in ways that used to make my trainer cringe in fear.

Then after about three months of that, he saw the value of it because not only did it create real upper body strength and increased body mass, but it also insured that every muscle bundle in the upper body was being worked equally and in ways that gave that strength complete range of motion, too.

I did the normal routines on the universal, too, of course, but what's to say about that?

BORING!

Oh man, I just had an amazing work-out today; chest-back split. It was truly phenomenal feeling. So does anyone else lift? :) If so let's talk!
I lifted weights on and off for about 30 years. I do P90X now, which is a combination of aerobics and resistance training, a few weights thrown in as well. I'm 45 years old by the way.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/p90x.do?code=BBHOME_CONTROL_P90X

Since I stopped lifting weights my back pain has disappeared. My weight has gone from from 234 to 212 and is still going down. My goal is to get back to the 175-185 range so I'll be able to run again.
My brother-in-law is a big weight lifter and a former Mr. Nevada in his age division. So far he's had two knee surgeries and a hip replacement.

Not trying to be a downer on your weight lifting experience, but that was mine.

I lifted weights on and off for about 30 years. I do P90X now, which is a combination of aerobics and resistance training, a few weights thrown in as well. I'm 45 years old by the way.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/p90x.do?code=BBHOME_CONTROL_P90X

Since I stopped lifting weights my back pain has disappeared. My weight has gone from from 234 to 212 and is still going down. My goal is to get back to the 175-185 range so I'll be able to run again.
My brother-in-law is a big weight lifter and a former Mr. Nevada in his age division. So far he's had two knee surgeries and a hip replacement.

Not trying to be a downer on your weight lifting experience, but that was mine.

How do you like the P90X? What was it like when you started vs. now in terms of increased strength, endurance, difficulty, etc.?

How do you like the P90X? What was it like when you started vs. now in terms of increased strength, endurance, difficulty, etc.?
The Cardio 1-2 workout kicked my ass at first. It took me two weeks before I could do it without stopping then I moved on to the full P90X program.
It definitely gets easier as you go along but they have a new routine right behind that one that is more difficult.
It's a three month program that changes the routine every three weeks so your muscles don't get used to it and weight loss stops.
I feel like I have a lot more endurance. Walking up stairs and hills are a lot less tiresome and I don't breathe as heavy as I used to. I haven't got back into running yet but I'm sure there's improvement there as well.
I use my garage as a gym. I have a computer that I use to play the DVD's and I put a hook on the wall to attach my elastic bands that I use during the workouts. The DVD's show alternate exercises for you if you want to use bands instead of free weights. I go probably 50/50 bands/free weights.

If you wanna' be fit and lean, not like a WWF wrestler, then this would be good for you. Search YouTube for a whole bunch of Before/After P90X stories.

Last edited:

Why are you doing a Chest-Back Split?

Unless you are working out only 3x a week working Chest/Back/tri/bi in one workout isn't the most efficient way of doing it. Unless you are going low-volume and higher-intensity.

I have back-bi's today.

The Cardio 1-2 workout kicked my ass at first. It took me two weeks before I could do it without stopping then I moved on to the full P90X program.
It definitely gets easier as you go along but they have a new routine right behind that one that is more difficult.
It's a three month program that changes the routine every three weeks so your muscles don't get used to it and weight loss stops.
I feel like I have a lot more endurance. Walking up stairs and hills are a lot less tiresome and I don't breathe as heavy as I used to. I haven't got back into running yet but I'm sure there's improvement there as well.
I use my garage as a gym. I have a computer that I use to play the DVD's and I put a hook on the wall to attach my elastic bands that I use during the workouts. The DVD's show alternate exercises for you if you want to use bands instead of free weights. I go probably 50/50 bands/free weights.

If you wanna' be fit and lean, not like a WWF wrestler, then this would be good for you. Search YouTube for a whole bunch of Before/After P90X stories.

Hey thanks. I"ve seen the commercials but didn't know anyone who'd used it. Might look into it. The running and free-weights thing are getting old. Need to change it up. Are the dvd's split differently for guys and girls or do they use the same one?

I lift! My coffee cup in the morning...yeah I know I should exercise but everytime I attempt it the mind is willing but the body says..."I don't think so lady"

100 Crunches + leg lifts and as many push-ups as I can stand to do in the morning....

Hoisting beer mugs and gardening in the evening.

... Almost no time for sex... :beer: ......Almost...​

-Joe

I lift! My coffee cup in the morning...yeah I know I should exercise but everytime I attempt it the mind is willing but the body says..."I don't think so lady"

lol I know what you mean. I've been 'off-track' since Christmas. Just not quite into a settled routine; 3-4 days a week yeah -- any more? Just not getting there. I feel like a slug when I don't exercise. You know what keeps me from it some days? This place! :redface:

lol I know what you mean. I've been 'off-track' since Christmas. Just not quite into a settled routine; 3-4 days a week yeah -- any more? Just not getting there. I feel like a slug when I don't exercise. You know what keeps me from it some days? This place! :redface:
I get tired so easy these days that going to the mailbox feels like exercise. LOL

For real exercise I walk on a treadmill, but I probably get far more exercise just being me. I don't just get up, I spring up, and I dance for hours at least 3 nights a weeks. There's probably more, but you probably get the idea. :tongue:

For real exercise I walk on a treadmill, but I probably get far more exercise just being me. I don't just get up, I spring up, and I dance for hours at least 3 nights a weeks. There's probably more, but you probably get the idea. :tongue:

Vibrators burn calories?

Why are you doing a Chest-Back Split?

Unless you are working out only 3x a week working Chest/Back/tri/bi in one workout isn't the most efficient way of doing it. Unless you are going low-volume and higher-intensity.

I have back-bi's today.

Chest/back split IS efficient in that it works directly opposing muscles. And remember, what works for you, or me, doesn't always work for others.

Hey thanks. I"ve seen the commercials but didn't know anyone who'd used it. Might look into it. The running and free-weights thing are getting old. Need to change it up. Are the dvd's split differently for guys and girls or do they use the same one?
Nope. Guys and Gals do the same routines. They give you alternate, slightly easier exercises like doing push ups on your knees as opposed to on your toes. You can choose your own weight, resistance level and reps too. Other than that it's the same.
I wont always do the same reps as they do but I follow along alright. And it's definitely a lot more fun than lifting heavy plates for an hour or so.

Last edited:
I wasn't in the mood to lift tonight. So I just ran for an hour. 9 miles and 1000+ calories burned. Woot.

That sounds so *boring*.. :redface:

I can't do any kind of cardio for more than 30 mins without going stir crazy, and that's if I have the TV on silent to keep my eyes busy, and Metallica blaring in my ears (my gym has TVs on each machine).

I only go 3-4 times a week for about an hour and a half each time.. 30 min of cardio followed by an hour of weights.. Weights are fun.. Cardio not so much. Found out, tho, that if I don't go at least every other day, I get really crabby... Who'da thunk it. :eusa_think:

And tonights gym night. Woohoo!

Dancing is a great way to exercise.

Forum List

Back