An 'adulterous' mother speaks from her Dubai prison

just because you or I think a law is stupid doesn't make it OK to break the law. there are some immigrants who come here to America thinking that some of our laws stupid. but they still have to follow them regardless of what they think. and if they break them than they have to pay the price.

this woman was a immigrant in the UAE. when you go to the middle east or any other country you have to follow the laws and or either leave.

you obviously have never gone through the pain of being cheated on. you spend your time and attention to a person to only have them go behind your back and start a relationship with someone else. it is a crime because a person goes through mental stress.

Oh please, lots of things can cause mental stress including divorce, should we criminalize that next?

Oh and monogamy is very rare in nature (two animals and counting) and to make laws that go against human nature is just insane. No one's nature is going to be changed no matter what stupid laws are made.

well what separates us from other species is that we have something called self control. other animals also have sex with their siblings but does that make is acceptable for humans? and if a person doesn't want to be in a monogamous relationship they should be up front with the person rather than going behind their back knowing it's going to hurt their wife/husband.

and divorce is not as stressful as finding out someone stabbed you in the back. at least when going through a divorce you know what's going on. when a spouse cheating on you have no idea what they are doing.
Nice post Nia :eusa_angel:

'A good day is when I speak to my sons': An 'adulterous' mother speaks from her Dubai prison
By Angella Johnson

article-1169300-02EEEC5B000005DC-96.jpg

Marnie Pearce shuffles into the narrow, glass-fronted booth from where she greets visitors at Dubai’s Al Awir women’s jail.

Ill-fitting, dusty-pink drawstring pants and a matching shirt hang loosely on her gaunt frame – she has lost nearly a stone since being imprisoned for adultery seven weeks ago.

Despite the artful application of make-up, her once glowing complexion is pale and dry. Her face is drawn into a tight mask of despair and her long, blonde hair, which was her crowning glory, reveals prominent dark roots.

The former florist from Berkshire has become an unlikely cause celebre for human rights campaigners – Amnesty International has called for her immediate release – since her dubious conviction under draconian Sharia law.

She was sentenced to six months, cut on appeal to three, after her former husband, an Egyptian, told police she had been having an affair. And Marnie, 40, has clearly been struggling to cope with life behind bars.

Marnie and Ihab on their wedding day. Soon after they married Ihab became violent towards her, subjecting her to 'years of abuse'
She has not seen her children, Laith, eight, and Ziad, four, since she was locked up.

Marnie’s nightmare began on March 27 last year when police raided the family home in a smart suburb of Dubai. They found her inside with Brian Clark, also British, who was visiting from Saudi Arabia.

Marnie was arrested and Ihab, 41, claimed she was having an affair. The family’s Indonesian maid, whose salary he pays, gave supportive evidence.
Under strict Muslim edict, it is unlawful for a woman to be alone in her home with a man, other than her husband or a family member.

The rule is rarely enforced for Westerners. And Marnie certainly hadn’t concerned herself because in the past Ihab had always held liberal views on such matters. She had not counted on him exploiting the system to avoid an expensive Western divorce and custody battle.

‘Ihab set me up,’ Marnie insists, jabbing her finger as she becomes increasingly animated. ‘I did nothing wrong. He bribed the maid to spy on me and then planted used condoms as evidence.’

'A good day is when I speak to my sons': An 'adulterous' mother speaks from her Dubai prison | Mail Online

Should this woman be imprisoned?

If it's been positively determined that she committed adultery, yes. I don't know enough about the case to say for sure whether I believe that she's guilty or not, but frankly, the whole "planting evidence" thing reeks of bullshit.

I was under the impression that "proof" required three witnesses to the overt act in order to make a determination that adultery has actually been committed.

'A good day is when I speak to my sons': An 'adulterous' mother speaks from her Dubai prison
By Angella Johnson

article-1169300-02EEEC5B000005DC-96.jpg

Marnie Pearce shuffles into the narrow, glass-fronted booth from where she greets visitors at Dubai’s Al Awir women’s jail.

Ill-fitting, dusty-pink drawstring pants and a matching shirt hang loosely on her gaunt frame – she has lost nearly a stone since being imprisoned for adultery seven weeks ago.

Despite the artful application of make-up, her once glowing complexion is pale and dry. Her face is drawn into a tight mask of despair and her long, blonde hair, which was her crowning glory, reveals prominent dark roots.

The former florist from Berkshire has become an unlikely cause celebre for human rights campaigners – Amnesty International has called for her immediate release – since her dubious conviction under draconian Sharia law.

She was sentenced to six months, cut on appeal to three, after her former husband, an Egyptian, told police she had been having an affair. And Marnie, 40, has clearly been struggling to cope with life behind bars.

Marnie and Ihab on their wedding day. Soon after they married Ihab became violent towards her, subjecting her to 'years of abuse'
She has not seen her children, Laith, eight, and Ziad, four, since she was locked up.

Marnie’s nightmare began on March 27 last year when police raided the family home in a smart suburb of Dubai. They found her inside with Brian Clark, also British, who was visiting from Saudi Arabia.

Marnie was arrested and Ihab, 41, claimed she was having an affair. The family’s Indonesian maid, whose salary he pays, gave supportive evidence.
Under strict Muslim edict, it is unlawful for a woman to be alone in her home with a man, other than her husband or a family member.

The rule is rarely enforced for Westerners. And Marnie certainly hadn’t concerned herself because in the past Ihab had always held liberal views on such matters. She had not counted on him exploiting the system to avoid an expensive Western divorce and custody battle.

‘Ihab set me up,’ Marnie insists, jabbing her finger as she becomes increasingly animated. ‘I did nothing wrong. He bribed the maid to spy on me and then planted used condoms as evidence.’

'A good day is when I speak to my sons': An 'adulterous' mother speaks from her Dubai prison | Mail Online

Should this woman be imprisoned?

Marnie apparently had an affair and is of course saying she was framed.

Her real "crimes" were marrying and staying with the creep. She will serve her term then be deported.

I don't necessarily believe that everybody guilty of adultery should have to spend time in prison. There are other forms of legal punishment that could be used, like fines, etc.
Right - fine the men (10 cents), imprison the women. Then fine the women ($10,000) as well, just to be sure.
Because a MAN cannot rape a whore, and any woman who has sex with a man outside of marriage, even if the man murdered all her male relatives and forced himself on her, is a whore for seeing a MAN with no male relative present.
Stone the Whore!
It is the will of God!!!!!!!!!!

I don't necessarily believe that everybody guilty of adultery should have to spend time in prison. There are other forms of legal punishment that could be used, like fines, etc.
Right - fine the men (10 cents), imprison the women. Then fine the women ($10,000) as well, just to be sure.
Because a MAN cannot rape a whore, and any woman who has sex with a man outside of marriage, even if the man murdered all her male relatives and forced himself on her, is a whore for seeing a MAN with no male relative present.
Stone the Whore!
It is the will of God!!!!!!!!!!

I respectfully disagree. Punishments should not be based on gender, and rape victims should be consoled, not punished.

Narrated Wa'il ibn Hujr: When a woman went out in the time of the Prophet (SAWS) for prayer, a man attacked her and overpowered (raped) her. She shouted and he went off, and when a man came by, she said: That [man] did such and such to me. And when a company of the Emigrants came by, she said: That man did such and such to me. They went and seized the man whom they thought had had intercourse with her and brought him to her. She said: Yes, this is he. Then they brought him to the Apostle of Allah (SAWS). When he (the Prophet) was about to pass sentence, the man who (actually) had assaulted her stood up and said: Apostle of Allah, I am the man who did it to her. He (the Prophet) said to her: Go away, for Allah has forgiven you. But he told the man some good words (AbuDawud said: meaning the man who was seized), and of the man who had had intercourse with her, he said: Stone him to death. He also said: He has repented to such an extent that if the people of Medina had repented similarly, it would have been accepted from them.

- Sunan Abu Dawud, Hudud (Punishments), no. 4366.​

Punishments should not be based on gender, and rape victims should be consoled, not punished.
I firmly agree with this statement. My post was meant to mock the attitudes of the people who spout such nonsense as "Kill that whore for being raped"
Forgive my lack of a sarcasm smiley in my last post.

Forum List

Back