Amusing

SpidermanTuba said:
Isn't it amusing that the anti-evolutionists maintain that evolution is an untestable theory - and then they proceed to attempt to disprove it?

That isn't amusing in the least. Your comment doesn't make a lot of sense, really, because both sides go to great lengths to 'prove' the faith they have in their theory is the 'correct' theory.

(shrug)

• Banned
dmp said:
That isn't amusing in the least. Your comment doesn't make a lot of sense, really, because both sides go to great lengths to 'prove' the faith they have in their theory is the 'correct' theory.

(shrug)

So you find nothing wrong with claiming that evolution is UNTESTABLE and then claiming that you can DISPROVE it? Do you understand the definition of "untestable" in a scientific context?

An untestable theory is one that can neither be proven nor disproven.

So the anti-evolutionists claim that it is impossible to either prove or disprove evolution - then go about attempting to disprove it. Do you see the problem with that?

good point, Spiderman.

It's similar to the 2000 year history of attempts to use logical arguments to prove the existence of a particular god. The attempts went nowhere, and many people ended up at secular humanism, applying secular ideas to the public sphere and to science while in no way restricting people's rights to practice their own religion in the public sphere.

Unfortunately, in the late 1990's, the Republican party realized that by talking the right talk, it could (cynically) acquire tremendous mass-voting from evangelical Christians. Hence the current mainstream Republican disregard for any science, from evolution to global overheating, that questions man's "dominion" over nature and place at the pinnacle of visible creation, right next to the Christian God, in whose image he is made.

Of course, the Republicans are too smart to walk the walk. That would mean doing unpopular things like making abortion illegal or stopping stem cell research, which most Americans support. So they pump a little money into faith-based initiatives to keep the base happy, while being carefully not to appoint--or even suggest--someone for the Supreme Court who would actually overturn Roe v. Wade.

And the science slowly catches up with them. Note how Bush has stopped speaking against global overheating (as I call it, since "warming" sounds pleasant, while overheating sounds more appropriately alarming) for the past two years. Similarly, Bush has made no national effort to push I.D.

Mariner.

• Banned
Mariner said:
good point, Spiderman.

Of course, the Republicans are too smart to walk the walk. That would mean doing unpopular things like making abortion illegal or stopping stem cell research, which most Americans support. .

DOn't forget - they'd also have to feed to hungry and cloth the naked and treat the sick! Not something most evangelical "Christians" are really into!

SpidermanTuba said:
DOn't forget - they'd also have to feed to hungry and cloth the naked and treat the sick! Not something most evangelical "Christians" are really into!

Religious groups spend more time helping others than any other group on earth.

SpidermanTuba said:
So you find nothing wrong with claiming that Intelligent Design UNTESTABLE and then claiming that you can DISPROVE it? Do you understand the definition of "untestable" in a scientific context?

An untestable theory is one that can neither be proven nor disproven.

So the pro-evolutionists claim that it is impossible to either prove or disprove ID - then go about attempting to disprove it. Do you see the problem with that?

I changed some things - maybe that will get thru your rather thick 'upper crust'.

For the last time, No...it's not amusing and you aren't 'onto' anything which resembles original thought.

:)

Enjoy your day.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
SpidermanTuba said:

Are you for real?

Oh, I get it. They do it but don't really like it, just extra insurance for getting into heaven. Gottcha.

• Banned
dilloduck said:
Religious groups spend more time helping others than any other group on earth.

You've misunderstood what I said. I referred to only evangelical Christians, not all religious people in the world! Sure - a lot of them do great mission work, but the overhwhelming majority of them are more concerned with preventing gay marriage, abortion, and forcing their religion on others via government, than they are with feeding the poor, clothing the naked, treating the sick, and ministering to the incarcerated.

dmp said:
I changed some things - maybe that will get thru your rather thick 'upper crust'.

Well except that you can't find a single evolutionist attempting to empircally disprove ID. Go ahead. Look on this board. Quote a single pro-evolutionist that claims to have disproven ID theory. In fact - look anywhere you like. Post me a quote of a pro-evolutionist anywhere in the world who claims to have scientifically disproven ID theory. If what you say is true - this shouldn't be too hard, should it?

Our only claim is that it is untestable.

Therefore you are a liar.

ST, you ought to consider getting a hobby. Pissing people off is really a poor way to spend your life.

SpidermanTuba said:
You've misunderstood what I said. I referred to only evangelical Christians, not all religious people in the world! Sure - a lot of them do great mission work, but the overhwhelming majority of them are more concerned with preventing gay marriage, abortion, and forcing their religion on others via government, than they are with feeding the poor, clothing the naked, treating the sick, and ministering to the incarcerated.

:link: Google: Evangelical Charities, putz.

SpidermanTuba said:
Well except that you can't find a single evolutionist attempting to empircally disprove ID. Go ahead. Look on this board. Quote a single pro-evolutionist that claims to have disproven ID theory. In fact - look anywhere you like. Post me a quote of a pro-evolutionist anywhere in the world who claims to have scientifically disproven ID theory. If what you say is true - this shouldn't be too hard, should it?

Our only claim is that it is untestable.

Therefore you are a liar.

There is no difference between "ID is not scientifically possible" and "I have scientifically disproven ID".

Therefore you are a douchebag.

dmp said:
There is no difference between "ID is not scientifically possible" and "I have scientifically disproven ID".

Therefore you are a douchebag.

Yes, but there is a difference between "ID is neither provable nor disprovable, and hence is not a scientific theory" and "ID has been disproven"

Therefore, you are the douchebag.

i can not prove there is a god....i can not prove evolution created life on earth....and i certainly don't need to prove that spiderboy is an ass everything it posts proves it beyond any resonable doubt.... :flameth:

manu1959 said:
i can not prove there is a god....i can not prove evolution created life on earth....and i certainly don't need to prove that spiderboy is an ass everything it posts proves it beyond any resonable doubt.... :flameth:

Evolution does not claim to have created life. Only to have evolved it.

Evolution makes predictions about which fossils we will find.

ID does not.

Forum List

Back