Amtrak Carrying GOP to Retreat Crashes

breaking news, not much other than on twitter and Fox News just reporting

What is it with Americans sticking their noses in front of trains recently? Is this the Darwin Awards trying to reduce the more idiotic from the population?

Lots of liberal cry babies who would rather die than live under a Trump Presidency? :abgg2q.jpg:

You're one of those people who can turn everything into partisan politics, right?

It was a joke, son.

breaking news, not much other than on twitter and Fox News just reporting

What is it with Americans sticking their noses in front of trains recently? Is this the Darwin Awards trying to reduce the more idiotic from the population?

Lots of liberal cry babies who would rather die than live under a Trump Presidency? :abgg2q.jpg:

You're one of those people who can turn everything into partisan politics, right?

Yep, pretty much like you.

One death, assumed to be the truck driver. Appears it was a trash truck.

Another paid democratic operative paid to try to take out the GOP. The Dem-Mafia. When will they try a hit on the President? Why do you think many Dems fear speaking against their party?

Think I'm kidding? .

Nope. We think you're fucking retarded.

Where are all the democrats being shot and almost killed in ballparks, threatened and ribs broken on the street or in their own front yard or while riding trains, planes or automobiles?

Whelp ---- there's Gabrielle Giffords, shot in the head and permanently disabled and forced to leave office.
There's Tom Periello, whose house had its gas line cut and sabotaged (actually it was his brother's house since the Tea Partier had published the wrong address)
There's the Democratic Party Headquarters offices in at least three states that had their windows shattered;
There's the white-powder letter sent to Anthony Weiner;
There's the images of nooses sent to Reps Bart Stupak and James Clymer;
There's the brick thrown through Louise Slaughter's window and phone messages threatening sniper attacks;
There's the various Democratic Congresspeople who had their windows shattered including Gabby Giffords whose window was shot through....
And of course as far as planes trains and automobiles there's Paul Wellstone.....

Oh and there's gun nuts like James David Adkisson who shot up a church with the intent to kill as many "Liberals" as possible.... and Charles Wilson with his string of death threats against Patty Murray... Greg Guisti with his threats to poison Nancy Pelosi.... Byron Williams who was stopped on his way to shoot up the Tides Foundation and the ACLU.....

Whelp ---- there's Gabrielle Giffords, an accident. Doesn't count.
There's Tom Periello, whose house had its gas line cut and sabotaged (actually it was his brother's house). Simple vandalism. Doesn't count. No one hurt.
There's the Democratic Party Headquarters offices in at least three states that had their windows shattered. Again. Vandalism, doesn't count.
There's the white-powder letter sent to Anthony Weiner. Doesn't count. Just some white flour.
There's the images of nooses sent to Reps Bart Stupak and James Clymer. Drawings never hurt anyone.
There's the brick thrown through Louise Slaughter's window and phone messages threatening sniper attacks. Bricks and phone messages don't count.
There's the various Democratic Congresspeople who had their windows shattered including Gabby Giffords whose window was shot through. Call the glazer.
And of course as far as planes trains and automobiles there's Paul Wellstone..... What about Paul?

Oh and there's gun nuts like James David Adkisson who shot up a church with the intent to kill as many "Liberals" as possible.... and Charles Wilson with his string of death threats against Patty Murray... Threats don't count. Greg Guisti with his threats to poison Nancy Pelosi.... Nancy's doing fine. Byron Williams who was stopped on his way to shoot up the Tides Foundation and the ACLU..... Again.

See what I mean about "fucking retarded"? QED.

Tardfreak goes, "Where are the democrats [sic] being shot at and almost killed"?

--- I give an example of a Democrat actually shot and almost killed and he calls it "an accident".

Apparently on the theory that the intent was to kill her and it failed, ergo "accident".

Fucking retarded.

What the P-Stick fails to acknowledge is that none of his claims of attacks against Dems (mostly simple broken windows, phone calls and harmless powder scares in an envelop does NOT change the many ruthless, calculated and near lethal attempts on the GOP! The closest president to Trump was Reagan and some idiot almost killed him. Anyone take a shot at Billy Boy of Barry O? Hell, HALF OF HOLLYWOOD has threatened the GOP! Everyone from all the actors who were so upset they said they could not even live in the same country as a President Trump to Kathy Griffin posing with a realistic mock-up of a bloody decapitated head of the President as her idea of "fun." Such actions sends a CLEAR MESSAGE to the Leftist base and if such people can say and do such things, it sends a clear message of what the average everyday democrat might be capable of! Hell, they tear down 150 year old historical statues just because they don't like what the history says, so, the unhinged fringe Left is capable of most anything and needs watched very closely.

Being captious and not being substantive is nothing more than a weak personal attack, and an ineffective tool at best. That said, I feel it necessary to steer toobfreak to the fact that his rants might be read if he were to employ the paragraph.

I hope the reader does not infer from this that anything toobfreak posts is substantive, thoughtful or thought provoking; in the event that enough monkeys with enough typewriters ... he ought to consider using standard English and to make a point he might stumble upon.

Of course my condolences go to the family of the driver of the truck who died.....he didn't need to. He didn't have to.

Something is very fishy here.

Right. Did someone post that a 10 ton dump truck was racing to beat Amtrak zig-zagging through the barriers and Miraculously stopped right smack on the tracks? Dumb hillbilly driver did not exit the truck and got killed?

Stopped? Doubtful.Mis-calculated his speed? Maybe. Could be on purpose? But forgot to get out?

Use your noodle. I may name names. Stay tuned.

This guy ^^ appears to have broken into Tinydancer's liquor stash :wine:

Yanno what, TD proilly won't even notice.

Apparently they were going to the Greenbrier. I figured that when I saw "West Virginia" but confirmed in the article.

The Greenbrier is not "on the border with Virginia" --- it's deep in central WV. It's where the "alt-White House" was built in an elaborate bunker in what is now a hotel/resort in White Sulphur Springs.

The Greenbrier is indeed on the border of Virginia. It is in White Sulphur Springs which is 20 miles from Covington VA. Hubby and I lived in White Sulphur Springs for something over four months and frequently drove to Covington restaurants for dinner, especially to Shoneys for fresh strawberry pie. The hotel in White Sulphur Springs is awesome as is a first rate medical clinic in which congress types often get their annual physicals.

Last edited:
Apparently they were going to the Greenbrier. I figured that when I saw "West Virginia" but confirmed in the article.

The Greenbrier is not "on the border with Virginia" --- it's deep in central WV. It's where the "alt-White House" was built in an elaborate bunker in what is now a hotel/resort in White Sulphur Springs.

No it isn't. It is in White Sulphur Springs which is 20 miles from Covington VA. Hubby and I lived in White Sulphur Springs for something over four months and frequently drove to Covington restaurants for dinner, especially to Shoneys for fresh strawberry pie.

Foxy is correct about the mileage --- I misremembered how far west in WV it is, but 20 miles is certainly not "on the border".

But I can also confirm you have to drive AT LEAST 20 miles to find anything decent to eat, unless you're dining at the Greenbrier itself, which is way overpriced. The local food is, to be generous, abysmal.

I can also tell you it's 60 miles from Green Bank Observatory where sits I believe the largest parabolic dish antenna in the world in the middle of the National Radio Quiet Zone, monitoring radio signals from space. I took a day trip there from WSS. Awesome structure.

No it isn't. It is in White Sulphur Springs which is 20 miles from Covington VA. Hubby and I lived in White Sulphur Springs for something over four months and frequently drove to Covington restaurants for dinner, especially to Shoneys for fresh strawberry pie.

Foxy is correct about the mileage --- I misremembered how far west in WV it is, but 20 miles is certainly not "on the border".

But I can also confirm you have to drive AT LEAST 20 miles to find anything decent to eat, unless you're dining at the Greenbrier itself, which is way overpriced. The local food is, to be generous, abysmal.

I can also tell you it's 60 miles from Green Bank Observatory where sits I believe the largest parabolic dish antenna in the world in the middle of the National Radio Quiet Zone, monitoring radio signals from space. I took a day trip there from WSS. Awesome structure.

Covington is a lot further into Virginia than White Sulphur Springs is into West Virginia--I believe it is only four or five miles to the state line from White Sulphur Springs which definitely qualifies it as being close to the Virginia 'border'. The Shamrock Cafe in White Sulphur Springs was decent way back then, but that was pretty much the only place in town to eat other than the hotel which I agree was very much overpriced and the food wasn't any better than at the Shamrock. We just got tired of the same menu all the time so ventured out to find different stuff. A great summer and early fall there while hubby was attending photography school and I was doing a lot of freelance writing.

But we all get a fact wrong now and then or as you put it misremember something unimportant or misspeak in our eagerness to get something said--I do that a lot in my posts and have to go back and edit or take a mea culpa when my mistake is pointed out by others.

As for the train wreck, you do always have to think that it could have been deliberate given the passengers on that train, but I personally think it was just a freak tragic accident.

Covington is a lot further into Virginia than White Sulphur Springs is into West Virginia--I believe it is only four or five miles to the state line from White Sulphur Springs which definitely qualifies it as being close to the Virginia 'border'. The Shamrock Cafe in White Sulphur Springs was decent way back then, but that was pretty much the only place in town to eat other than the hotel which I agree was very much overpriced and the food wasn't any better than at the Shamrock. We just got tired of the same menu all the time so ventured out to find different stuff. A great summer and early fall there while hubby was attending photography school and I was doing a lot of freelance writing.

To be honest the best meal I could find in WSS was at the Subway down the road toward the next town, I forget which direction. That's how sparse the pickin's are. I did try a diner which was memorably awful, prolly the same café you mention.

To be honest the best meal I could find in WSS was at the Subway down the road toward the next town, I forget which direction. That's how sparse the pickin's are. I did try a diner which was memorably awful, prolly the same café you mention.

There was no Subway or any other franchise in White Sulphur Springs when we lived there back in the mid 1980's. In fact, the only place to eat then other than the Shamrock and the hotel was a little walk up hot dog stand, carry out or eat at a picnic table outside only, that made very bad hotdogs.

Does anybody know if the folks on the train went on to the retreat?

There was no Subway or any other franchise in White Sulphur Springs when we lived there back in the mid 1980's. In fact, the only place to eat then other than the Shamrock and the hotel was a little walk up hot dog stand, carry out or eat at a picnic table outside only, that made very bad hotdogs.

Just to follow up on map curiosity --- you can cross the line to Virginia in about 6 miles, if you're going east (I-64). I would have been coming from the south though, so that way it's about 35 miles into West Virginia.

Just to follow up on map curiosity --- you can cross the line to Virginia in about 6 miles, if you're going east (I-64). I would have been coming from the south though, so that way it's about 35 miles into West Virginia.

white-sulphur-springs.gif

white-sulphur-springs.gif

5373-1517512249-f5dac68464a67b23e47cee7f87489ac4.jpg

.... Left onto US-219 N/Federal St Continue US-219 N Re-entering Wva 26.1 mi
Left
onto Main St 0.3 mi
Continue onto US-219 N/5th St.... Continue to follow US-219 N 11.0 mi
Right
onto WV-63 E 5.8 mi
Right
onto US-60 E 5.6 mi

I get 47.5 miles from entering WV

So this thread has turned into a travelog? :dunno:

Only to the extent of identifying where the lawmakers were headed when the train hit the truck. The Greenbrier is a relatively short train ride from Washington DC, but whenever there is an accident of this sort, at this particular time it is inevitable that people will wonder if it was a freak accident? Or something else?

To answer this last, I read that the passengers boarded buses to take them the rest of the way but the stories did not confirm they got there. Apparently the "retreat" was to involve Pence doing a speech Wednesday, Rump doing one Thursday, 35 Senators, 180 Congress members and several Cabinet members including Nikki Haley.

Speeches at a "retreat"? Don't ask me, that's what the story said. It also said no serious injuries had resulted, only the fatal one in the garbage truck (it doesn't say whether it was the driver or not). The accident happened near Charlottesville.

Also was surprised to learn that the Greenbrier is owned by the Governor, Jim Justice.

Forum List

Back