Amoxicillin fatigue

Peach

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2009
Amoxicillin keeps me drowsy, fatigued, and listless. Anybody have these side effects? Minocin did the same thing.

No. That has never happened to me. Are you sure it is amoxicillin? Google to see if it is a side effect.

If you have hyperactive immune system then you will experience fatigue when you take antibiotics. It does not have to be amoxicillin.

No. That has never happened to me. Are you sure it is amoxicillin? Google to see if it is a side effect.

Yes, I read carefully, thank you for this advice. Fatigue, pain and drowsiness are listed. I never noticed these side effects with any other antibiotic but Minocin, I could not drive taking that, too confused.

Yes, I read carefully, thank you for this advice. Fatigue, pain and drowsiness are listed. I never noticed these side effects with any other antibiotic but Minocin, I could not drive taking that, too confused.

Different antibiotics target different bugs. Different people respond differently to different antibiotics. If you are feeling that antibiotics is making you worse, you should contact your doctor immediately. An antibiotic gone wrong can cause some serious harm to you.

Minocin is an antibiotic combined with an anti-inflammatory.

Be sure you get a complete work up by your doctor. This combo should not be a cause of confusion. If anything, you should be less foggy when on an anti-inflam.

Regards from Rosie

Different antibiotics target different bugs. Different people respond differently to different antibiotics. If you are feeling that antibiotics is making you worse, you should contact your doctor immediately. An antibiotic gone wrong can cause some serious harm to you.

Thanks, I am now on AUGUMENTIN, this is worse than just Amoxicillian, I am calling my MD Monday.

Thanks, I am now on AUGUMENTIN, this is worse than just Amoxicillian, I am calling my MD Monday.

I hope you get better soon. I wish you well.

I hope you get better soon. I wish you well.

They may have to bounce around between a few anti-biotics before they find something that 1) works and 2) doesn't make you sicker than it makes the bugs.

I had the opposite problem where the first two anti-biotics they gave me didn't do crap, and they actually had to go to and older one to fix me up.

People need to remember that sometimes medicine is more art than science, considering it is more empirically based than theoretically based.

What a PITA! I hope they can find you something that works on the problem but doesn't cause other problems.

Nope, haven't had that one. All I can tell you is, anyone can have any kind of reaction to any kind of 'innocuous' drug. It's known as 'idiosyncratic reaction' and is medicalese for 'we don't know why but it happened'......there's some hope for avoiding some of that in future coming out of the genetic studies......

Last edited:
Africa Dealing with High Levels of Antibiotic Resistance...

Uganda Tackles High Levels of Antibiotic Resistance
October 02, 2015 — Although it is technically illegal to distribute antibiotics without a prescription in Uganda, pharmacies are often teeming with customers buying the drugs with little or no oversight.
Over time, bacteria have built up resistance to the overused drugs. Studies find that in Uganda, 80 percent of the bacteria that cause diseases such as pneumonia and tuberculosis are resistant to antibiotics. Advocates say part of the problem is understaffing. Uganda has only 600 pharmacists for a population of 37 million. This leads many people to self-prescribe, especially in rural areas. Kennedy Odokonyero of the Makerere University Pharmacy Students Association said villagers can do this because they have hoarded the drugs.

30573192-7F63-4415-B9CF-B15683B3D1E6_w640_r1_s.jpg

Schoolchildren line up for trachoma medicine in Buniantole, eastern Uganda​

If they learn that there's a new supply available at a given health facility, "everyone in the village would come" to it, Odokonyero said. "Their thing is they want to get the medicines because there's still a lot of it — get the medicines and take it to their homes and keep it" to use later, should they fall ill. The Rational Medical Use Campaign, now being rolled out by the Pharmaceutical Society of Uganda, is using social media and community outreach to urge citizens to get accurate diagnoses before starting medication. It also discourages the sharing of medicines and reminds people to finish their prescribed doses.

The Uganda National Academy of Sciences' Global Antibiotic Resistance Partnership has also published a report attempting to tackle the problem of antibiotic abuse. Professor Denis Byarugaba, a microbiologist who chairs the group, said the clinicians and pharmacists are the first line of defense, "because the common person, given our education levels, may not appreciate what all this means. But someone that has been in medical school or has been through any kind of professional medical related field should understand really what it means every time they administer or they dispense an antibiotic without a prescription, without knowing that actually this person has got a bacterial infection.” Medical professionals are hoping that by making the public aware of the dangers, they can stop the abuse of antibiotics and allow new drugs to remain effective when they come on the market.

Uganda Tackles High Levels of Antibiotic Resistance

Amoxicillin keeps me drowsy, fatigued, and listless. Anybody have these side effects? Minocin did the same thing.

Just to add, if you took the drug with another drug ( prescription or over the counter ) that you were not supposed to - you could have the side effect of being tired.

Go to the pharmacy where you got the Amoxicillin and talk with a pharmacist. They can talk to you or give you written information on the drug. If you still have doubts or misunderstanding ; speak to your doctor.

I drink one glass of liquid - water, juice, one glass of beer : and I have to get up three or four times a night to urinate. I drink 12 to 16 ounces of a liquid, I urinate many times that much a night. Try that problem, having to get up to go to work....and you cannot get a good night sleep / good REM sleep.

Shadow 355

be careful...seems my last er visit was due to an antibiotic reaction....i just get an upset stomach then barf then its on to the er after a few hours of this...de.hydration is the enemy of diabetics

Forum List

Back