Amos Oz

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
Amos Oz was one of my first introductions to Israel. My mother worked with NIH on a collaborative research study on heart disease and introduced me to his writing with a book of short stories or essays. What a gifted writer, he is described as a litersry giant in Israel. He will be missed :(

Israeli Author Amos Oz Dies At Age 79

Amos Oz Dies At 79; Hailed As 'Glory' Of Israel's Writers
The last book Oz published, which came out in English last month, was a short work of nonfiction called Dear Zealot: Letters from a Divided Land in which he bemoans Islamic and Jewish fanaticism. In it, the fiercely secular Oz made the case for defining Israel by its Jewish culture, not by religion, and repeated his call for a two-state solution.

In a 2013 interview for Tablet Magazine,Oz, one of the most prominent figures on the Israeli left, was asked whether he was hopeful about prospects for peace between Israelis and Palestinians. "It's difficult to be a prophet in the land of prophets. It's too much competition in the prophecy business around here," he said, but he concluded that peace is "unavoidable, and it will come."

Oz's works were translated into more than 40 languages. He won many literary prizes in Israel and abroad and was rumored to be on the shortlist for a Nobel. He is survived by his wife, Nili, and three children, Fania, Galia and Daniel.

New Topics

Forum List

Back