Among The Costs Of War: $20B In Air Conditioning!

War is no good, unless freedoms are jeopardized. However, we live in 1984 where freedoms must be sacrificed towards "promoting freedom".

Of course the state is going to pillage us on they way.

Today's army runs on computers and they must be kept cool, plus all the REMF's have to keep cool too!

Today's army runs on computers and they must be kept cool, plus all the REMF's have to keep cool too!

Must have been the same in the sixties; either that, or there really is some obscure army regulation that says REMFs must not be made to sweat. Anyone remember this little ditty:

Excuse me, Dear Old Westy; I hate to bother you;
but I've got so many problems, I don't know what to do!
My air conditioner's broke, and my limousine's out of gas!
My pencil sharpener's out of whack,
and I can't get a seven-day pass!
I'm a Saigon Warrior, helping fight this war!
Pushin' a pencil; my finger's getting sore!

Pumping massive amounts of cold air into uninsulated tents is beyond retarded. A little foam insulation would cut fuel consumption, fuel delivery trucks & dangerous delivery trips, and cut the amount of generators & air conditioner units needed all by 92%.

92% of $20 Billion = $18.4 Billion. Just a little spray foam insulation could have reduced the cost to $1.6 Billion saving US $18.4 Billion. Some defense contractor wanted to sell trucks, air conditioners, fuel & generators.

$20B In Air Conditioning
Anderson says experiments with polyurethane foam insulation for tents in Iraq cut energy use by 92 percent and took 11,000 fuel trucks off the road. But he adds there's a lack of enthusiasm for a greener military among top commanders.

It is hot in the middle east, dumbfuck libs.

I wonder what it costs to keep this place cold:

Indoor_ski_slope.jpg

Pumping massive amounts of cold air into uninsulated tents is beyond retarded. A little foam insulation would cut fuel consumption, fuel delivery trucks & dangerous delivery trips, and cut the amount of generators & air conditioner units needed all by 92%.

92% of $20 Billion = $18.4 Billion. Just a little spray foam insulation could have reduced the cost to $1.6 Billion saving US $18.4 Billion. Some defense contractor wanted to sell trucks, air conditioners, fuel & generators.

$20B In Air Conditioning
Anderson says experiments with polyurethane foam insulation for tents in Iraq cut energy use by 92 percent and took 11,000 fuel trucks off the road. But he adds there's a lack of enthusiasm for a greener military among top commanders.
When I retired, my office was looking into this. We had a pilot program in place.

All our personnel shelters have liners, so they're not totally uninsulated. The problem with the spray foam insulation is it renders the shelter one-time-use only. All our gear is designed to be taken down, packed up, restored to 100%, and put back on the shelf for the next contingency. Plus, there's the environmental concern of disposing of the polyurethane insulation.

So NPR isn't giving the whole story.

$20B In Air Conditioning
When I retired, my office was looking into this. We had a pilot program in place.

All our personnel shelters have liners, so they're not totally uninsulated. The problem with the spray foam insulation is it renders the shelter one-time-use only. All our gear is designed to be taken down, packed up, restored to 100%, and put back on the shelf for the next contingency. Plus, there's the environmental concern of disposing of the polyurethane insulation.

I know that, but for the $18.4 Billion savings we can afford to leave those shelters behind for the civilains & buy new ones every time. That money would buy a hell of a lot of shelters.

Other flexible foam or bubble pillow insulation could be inserted inside a double layer shelter instead of spray foam that would still save tons of money & still be taken down, packed up, restored to 100% & reused.

Anderson calculates more than 1,000 troops have died in fuel convoys, which remain prime targets for attack. Free-standing tents equipped with air conditioners in 125 degree heat require a lot of fuel. Anderson says by making those structures more efficient, the military could save lives and dollars.

Foreign adventures of empire are expensive.

That's WHY our masters get involved in them.

$20B In Air Conditioning

Color me shocked pink! NPR not telling the whole story. :eek: I can hardly believe it! :eek:

Only a total fool takes the information provided by any media as all the information. People really need to learn to THINK - and stop expecting other people (namely, the media) to do their thinking for them.

$20B In Air Conditioning

I know that, but for the $18.4 Billion savings we can afford to leave those shelters behind for the civilains & buy new ones every time. That money would buy a hell of a lot of shelters.
And people will bitch about that, too.
Other flexible foam or bubble pillow insulation could be inserted inside a double layer shelter instead of spray foam that would still save tons of money & still be taken down, packed up, restored to 100% & reused.
And now you're tripling (or more) the airlift requirement.

The small personnel shelter the Air Force buys is the Alaska Small Shelter. It sleeps 12 (24 with bunk beds) and 4 shelters fit into an ISU-90 container for airlift.

You add bubble wrap or some other non-compressible insulation, and you've got to add 2 or more containers to the package just for the insulation. Airlift is expensive, and space is limited.

And the AK shelters have good environmental specs:
Alaska Shelters are the most comprehensively tested military shelters in the world. Alaska Shelters have been successfully tested at US government laboratories and 3rd party independent laboratories to withstand a 20 lb per square foot snow load, 70 mph sustained wind speeds (with 80 mph gusts) and a 4in per hour rain load with 55mph wind speeds. Alaska Shelters have also been successfully tested to provide an internal shelter temperature range between 65F to 75F when tested in ambient temperatures ranging from -25F to +120F with only 60,000 BTU’s of air conditioning and 12kW of heating.​
So we don't need to foam the AKs.

The shelters the AKs replaced, however, do need additional insulation. The Temper Tent is old technology. The skins aren't tight, so wind flaps the panels which pumps air in and out of the interior. We're not taking any of those back for reconstitution and storage. When the deployed folks have some to get rid of, they dispose of them locally through the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service. The pilot program is foaming Tempers.
Anderson calculates more than 1,000 troops have died in fuel convoys, which remain prime targets for attack. Free-standing tents equipped with air conditioners in 125 degree heat require a lot of fuel. Anderson says by making those structures more efficient, the military could save lives and dollars.
No argument. But we're working on it. NPR makes it sound like nobody gives a damn.

$20B In Air Conditioning

Color me shocked pink! NPR not telling the whole story. :eek: I can hardly believe it! :eek:

Only a total fool takes the information provided by any media as all the information. People really need to learn to THINK - and stop expecting other people (namely, the media) to do their thinking for them.
:clap2:

Forum List

Back