Among black students, many immigrants...

S

Shattered

Now it's the fault of black immigrants that local blacks aren't getting into college? :eusa_whistle:

By CARA ANNA, Associated Press Writer 48 minutes ago

Something in the crowd made Shirley Wilcher wonder. As a college graduate in the early 1970s, her black classmates were like herself — born in the United States, to American parents. But at an alumni reunion at Mount Holyoke College last year, she saw something different and asked for admissions data to prove it.

"My suspicions were confirmed," said Wilcher, now the executive director of the American Association for Affirmative Action. She found a rise in the number of black students from Africa and the Caribbean, and a downturn in admissions of native blacks like her.

A study released this year put numbers on the trend. Among students at 28 top U.S. universities, the representation of black students of first- and second-generation immigrant origin (27 percent) was about twice their representation in the national population of blacks their age (13 percent). Within the Ivy League, immigrant-origin students made up 41 percent of black freshmen.

Wilcher would like to know why....

More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070430/ap_on_re_us/colleges_black_students

Well, I'll go with Cosby here and suggest it is because of the culture of ignorance. Where one might be called "too white" were they to do well in school. Immigrants didn't grow up with such social constraints and are more likely to work to their full potential....

Well, I'll go with Cosby here and suggest it is because of the culture of ignorance. Where one might be called "too white" were they to do well in school. Immigrants didn't grow up with such social constraints and are more likely to work to their full potential....

Sounds like a perfectly good reason to chastise them to me.. :wtf:

Sounds like a perfectly good reason to chastise them to me.. :wtf:

Chastise? Who did I chastise? Now you are confusing me.

The quoted portion of the article suggested that, "Wilcher would like to know why...."

I gave one opinion on why Immigrants may be getting into college at a greater level than their native counterparts.

Chastise? Who did I chastise? Now you are confusing me.

The quoted portion of the article suggested that, "Wilcher would like to know why...."

I gave one opinion on why Immigrants may be getting into college at a greater level than their native counterparts.

Nonono.. I'm talking about the people who are bitching against black immigrants in the rest of the article. Wilcher, specifically.. :)

Excellent point

Forum List

Back