"Amish Project"

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Iridescence, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Iridescence

Iridescence BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +268
    Would any one here do this? It's pretty awesome that such a youth did it in college.

I'm sometimes amazed at how detailed some of the drama issues come to be on the social sites that I am a member of. :dunno:

2. Iridescence

Iridescence BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +268
  3. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,517
    Funny it would be call "the Amish Project" when he still went to the store for groceries, had electric lights, maybe use of a motorized vehicle, didn't get up at 0 dark thirty to start the day had access to regular bathing, etc.......

Try doing that for 90 days, then I'll be impressed.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,903
    What a horror...cut off from the internet for three months. You gotta wonder about the stability of the modern generation.

5. percysunshine

percysunshine Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,931
    So everyone born before 1995 was born Amish?

Heck, that is alot of people.

6. Sunshine

Sunshine Trust the pie. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,045
    My grandparents did not have electricity until the late 50s because the wires didn't go out as far as they lived. They had no running water, and no indoor bathroom. My grandfather brought their drinking water by bucket from a 'spring' down the road. They bathed in creek water, and my grandmother washed her clothes in a tub over a fire and scrubbed them on a washboard, and their light at night was from kerosene lanterns. They were not Amish. They lived behind Buzzard Hill in KY. It was just how they lived. I loved visiting them. They heated with coal burned in a Warm Morning stove, and the beds were feather beds, not mattresses. That's the only thing I didn't like, I would wake up having wallowed all the feathers around me and sleeping on the solid wood bottomof the bed. They had homemade butter, honey my grandfather robbed from the bees he kept. They always smelt a little sweaty and my grandmother who cooked on a wood stove always smelled like baking powder. She used to let me cut the biscuits out with a little tin. The Amish aren't so special.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  7. Iridescence

Iridescence BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +268
    I thought I was an oddity for only having limited electricity and one running cold water faucet for the most part of growing up, and we weren't even Amish. I enjoy the online communities now, but I could go without them if I must.... I just currently prefer not to. :lol:

8. Sunshine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,045
    LOL. Yeah, the wildlife has all come back from having been mostly eaten up during the Great Depression. I could live a good long while here just on squirrel, rabbit, frog, deer, bird. I'd have to walk a piece to get the wild turkeys, but they are here too.

9. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,684
    I think that would be called "The Mennonite Project"? :lol:

I buy my meat and dairy from a Mennonite farmer and they're all just wonderful people.

The Amish and Mennonite families I see around here have the best behaved and polite children anywhere. They look very happy and none of them are EVER filthy dirty either.

10. Sunshine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,045
    The ones here stay in jail more than they stay out because they won't use the triangular slow moving vehicle sign. And they have caused a couple of wrecks, one of them pretty serious, because of it. That one thing really pisses me off because they have gotten so persistent that now the judge, who is tired of jailing them, is saying 'it would serve no purpose to keep them in jail.' Bullshit. She wouldn't say that about a Southern Baptist or a Catholic who didn't obey the traffic laws. She needs to be voted OUT!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012