Americas Turning to Atheism.

Do you believe in the Tennents of Bhudism?

I don't know what they are, but I have a feeling they deal with being a good person. Just like tenets of all religions. My concern is that there are no moral tenets to atheism. How does one teach a child right from wrong?
Psalms 137: 9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

Many of the psalms rehearse episodes of Israel’s history, especially the story of Israel’s exodus from Egypt and its arrival in the promised land. Psalm 137 is a beautiful lament of the early days of Israel’s captivity in Babylon. The poem opens with the image of the Israelites weeping by the banks of the Babylonian rivers, longing for Jerusalem, or Zion. When their captors ask the Israelites to sing for them, the Israelites refuse, hanging their harps on the branches of the willow trees. The poet asks, “How could we sing the Lord’s / song / in a foreign land?” (137:4). The poem ends with a call for vengeance on the Babylonians. It acts as an earnest reminder both to the exiled Israelites and to later biblical readers of the importance of the promised land for the celebration of the Jewish faith.

You are HEDGING your bets. Nothing MORE nothing LESS and you KNOW it because I have seen you use a famous quote, which I can not recall, to explain your belief in God. You ENTIRE LIFE of your belief in God is based on a TOTALLY cynical "I win either way". I don't think that will cut it if there really is a God, in FACT, I believe I would have a FAR greater chance to wind up in heaven than you because I am not USING God for my own SELFISH wants like YOU are.

And my wanting others to be saved is a selfish want.

With your SELFISH belief in "I win either way" YOU won't even be saved!

i still love your soul Con-Fusion and praying for you.

1. You shall not worship any other god but YHWH. - Disagree

2. You shall not make a graven image. - Disagree

3. You shall not take the name of YHWH in vain. - Disagree

4. You shall not break the Sabbath. - Disagree

5. You shall not dishonor your parents. - Agreed

6. You shall not murder. - Agreed

7. You shall not commit adultery - Agreed

8. You shall not steal. - Agreed

9. You shall not commit perjury. - Agreed

10. You shall not covet. - Agreed, to a point.

The ones that don't involve religion are fine although I can covet something that isn't mine, however as long as i don't try to take what isn't mine, I don't feel it's all that bad.

-TSO

Sounds selfrightous.

Sorry Froggy but YOU calling someone "SELFRIGHTOUS" is pretty ridiculous!

So i called someone selfrightous eh, was i lying?

What do you rely on to be a 'good' person? God and church are a part of my life because I strive to be a better person.

I rely on myself to be a good person, I do not need a church or religion to direct me to the "right" path for this.

-TSO

Neither do I, obviously what I said went over your head. Do you believe you're as good as you're ever going to be? You don't need to improve in any area of your life at all? You don't use anything to help motivate you, inspire you, give you hope? If so, you're not being honest with yourself.

I have always tried to keep re-evaluating myself to see flaws and correct them.

Well I tried anyway at least :D

Everyone does not do this? It could explain a lot.

I don't know what they are, but I have a feeling they deal with being a good person. Just like tenets of all religions. My concern is that there are no moral tenets to atheism. How does one teach a child right from wrong?
Psalms 137: 9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

Many of the psalms rehearse episodes of Israel’s history, especially the story of Israel’s exodus from Egypt and its arrival in the promised land. Psalm 137 is a beautiful lament of the early days of Israel’s captivity in Babylon. The poem opens with the image of the Israelites weeping by the banks of the Babylonian rivers, longing for Jerusalem, or Zion. When their captors ask the Israelites to sing for them, the Israelites refuse, hanging their harps on the branches of the willow trees. The poet asks, “How could we sing the Lord’s / song / in a foreign land?” (137:4). The poem ends with a call for vengeance on the Babylonians. It acts as an earnest reminder both to the exiled Israelites and to later biblical readers of the importance of the promised land for the celebration of the Jewish faith.

I wonder could the Psalms have been marching songs of a sort that they chanted as they walked for 20 years or whatever in the wilderness?

What better way to program the people?

The results are showing, america the fallen.

People are not turning to atheism, necessarily. They are just following immoral tempations, greed, pride and selfishness.

Most of the 70% mentioned in the first response to you are not believers in the very truest sense. They are not born again. They are just Christian, or religious by name. Most of them just want a religion to associate with.

I personally believe that about 20% of those who attend church regularly, and call themselves Christians are born again. Of course, that is opinion. I hope I am wrong.

People who call themselves Christians do leave that religion regularly. New members are not as many as those we lose.

So, America, as I see it, is in immoral quik-sand, and only two hands can pull her out are the ones that were nailed to a cross for us.

religion in general is sinking into moral decay.

Hells fire and damnation! women even wear pants to church now-a-days.

I would have to agree about religion falling into decay.

However, the true church is not about any religion. It is about a people of God. They are beginning to show up, and soon it will be clear just who most of them are.

The corner churches, well there are some really awesome ones where real believers do hang out and worship. For the most part, those churches are becoming business on every street corner.

I am a believer and I can see that happening.

I would have to agree about religion falling into decay.

However, the true church is not about any religion. It is about a people of God. They are beginning to show up, and soon it will be clear just who most of them are.

The corner churches, well there are some really awesome ones where real believers do hang out and worship. For the most part, those churches are becoming business on every street corner.

I am a believer and I can see that happening.

I am an athiest and think it is sad as well.
Good REAL Christians are good people.

So, killing babies is good and moral when done in revenge.
Praise God.

Ro 12:19* Avenge not yourselves, beloved, but give place unto the wrath of God: for it is written, Vengeance belongeth unto me; I will recompense, saith the Lord.

Do you believe you're as good as you're ever going to be? You don't need to improve in any area of your life at all? You don't use anything to help motivate you, inspire you, give you hope? If so, you're not being honest with yourself.

Not at all, but then again, I don't need a church or a religion to help me to improve myself. Again, self-reliance is a beautiful thing.

-TSO

Do you believe you're as good as you're ever going to be? You don't need to improve in any area of your life at all? You don't use anything to help motivate you, inspire you, give you hope? If so, you're not being honest with yourself.

Not at all, but then again, I don't need a church or a religion to help me to improve myself. Again, self-reliance is a beautiful thing.

-TSO

You can keep saying the same thing over and over ad nauseum, but you are still missing the mark. The word you should change in your repitition is 'need'. No one essentially 'needs' a church or a religion to improve themselves, but if you're a christian you're choosing to improve yourself in a christian way. If you aren't a christian, I wouldn't expect you to understand what I am talking about anyway. There are many different ways of improving ones self, you can do it your way and I can do it mine, it doesn't make your way better. Your view of religion and the role that it plays in a christian's life is skewed.

Praise God.

Ro 12:19* Avenge not yourselves, beloved, but give place unto the wrath of God: for it is written, Vengeance belongeth unto me; I will recompense, saith the Lord.

Who said that? The psalm is not God telling His people to go out and kill babies, it's a simple story as was explained in my earilier post. I really don't see what your point is? The Bible is bad because there's a historical story in there about a group of people singing a song of revenge after they were enslaved? Is that the point you're trying to make by taking something out of context?

Your view of religion and the role that it plays in a christian's life is skewed.

No it's not. I have plenty experience in life to know how Christians use religion/Christ. It's their anchor, it's their blanket, it's there excuse to do things wrong and not feel bad about it.

-TSO

Praise God.

Who said that? The psalm is not God telling His people to go out and kill babies, it's a simple story as was explained in my earilier post. I really don't see what your point is? The Bible is bad because there's a historical story in there about a group of people singing a song of revenge after they were enslaved? Is that the point you're trying to make by taking something out of context?

But god does tell the Jews to kill all those who do not flee before them. Including women and children.

Read about Jericho.

Your view of religion and the role that it plays in a christian's life is skewed.

No it's not. I have plenty experience in life to know how Christians use religion/Christ. It's their anchor, it's their blanket, it's there excuse to do things wrong and not feel bad about it.
-TSO

Really? Why is it that I'm not like that and I'm a christian then? How do you explain that? If you attended any Christian church you would learn that what you just said is not what it taught at all, not even close.

Forum List

Back