America’s Plantation Prisons

What I would like to see is prisoners getting paid minimum wage, to be saved in a savings account for when they are released. And the money they make should count towards social security retirement.

If minimum wage is $5, they can keep $1 per hour for stuff they need to buy in the prison like toothpaste or cigarettes or condoms for when they have butt sex.

fuck that. If they were paid minimum wage it should be given DIRECTLY to the prison system in order to alleviate the cost of prison meant to house them as punishment for a crime THEY chose to commit. You do remember that prison is a punishment, yes? Not a fucking 401k program?

I am obviously not complaining about rehabilitation programs for released prisoners.
I am specifically alerting you that our governments (state governments) are contracting with private corporations to sell prisoners' labor on the open market.
The prisoners make pennies, the state takes a lion's share, and the private corporations get cheaper labor than they can buy in China.
Such a policy incentivizes government to have prison labor to sell.

Or, it alleviates the COST of enforcing criminal penalties while offering job skills to people who otherwise have not made the effort to collect any. How many people are FORCED inot prison labor camps who have not committed a crime risking as much? How many shawshank redemption examples do you think there are? Prisoners SHOULD make pennies.

fuck that. If they were paid minimum wage it should be given DIRECTLY to the prison system in order to alleviate the cost of prison meant to house them as punishment for a crime THEY chose to commit. You do remember that prison is a punishment, yes? Not a fucking 401k program?

Can't argue with you there. Ok, give the prison 95% of it and the rest they can take with them when they leave.

I feel you on that my brother.

You're completely missing his point, Soggy. I don't suppose Editec cares how much the prisoners make, he's more concerned about having state sponsored slavery...an incentive to keep the prison population growing.

Did you not get outraged when you found out your junk was made by Chinese prisoners that were enslaved by China?

Angola is actually has a very nice setup going. They have an arts and crafts show alongside the rodeo where the inmates sell their own creations (from leatherwork to wood carvings to paintings) The proceeds from the rodeo and art show (after the costs of the shows are covered) go to inmate organizations and educational programs. They have a drama club, boxing club, creative writing, religious groups, AA programs-- hell they even produce a magazine and operate a radio station. Inmates can get their GED, learn carpentry and welding. This is a pretty impressive list of programs. There's a complete list on the prison's website.

They may have them working in Angola, but thay see a lot of benefits for that work.

You're completely missing his point, Soggy. I don't suppose Editec cares how much the prisoners make, he's more concerned about having state sponsored slavery...an incentive to keep the prison population growing.

Did you not get outraged when you found out your junk was made by Chinese prisoners that were enslaved by China?

state sponsored slavery that hinges on THE PERSONAL ACTIONS OF CRIMINALS BREAKING THE LAW, ravi. No incentive exists if PEOPLE STOP ROBBING MOTHERFUCKING LIQUOR STORES.

Paying the state to impiron people is the road to slavery.

A society SHOULD BE reluctant to put somebody in prison. not happy to do so, because the prisoner becomes a revenue source.

state sponsored slavery that hinges on THE PERSONAL ACTIONS OF CRIMINALS BREAKING THE LAW, ravi. No incentive exists if PEOPLE STOP ROBBING MOTHERFUCKING LIQUOR STORES.

Tell it to the 400,000 stoners in prison, Sho.

When they start incarcerating guns owners who didn't dot their is and cross their ts, some of you wiull get it it fast enough.

You can hang armed robbers as far as I'm concerned, if you want to cut prison costs, but putting prisoners to work so the state makes money on it is the path to fascism faster than anything else we could possible do.

My complain has nothing to do with my concern for prisoners, it's about the realtionship betweeen prison labor and state revenues.

Prisoners here make blue jeans and learn how to make clocks. It's considered a privilege.

Juveniles work in a greenhouse, growing native plants to plant along the highways. Also a privilege that is much sought after.

The fact that the inmate population is black says to me that maybe the blacks need to be looking into their culture and figuring out how to break the cycle of criminality that has permeated it. God knows we aren't allowed to do anything about it. Also, my guess would be that the population in Baton Rouge is largely black.

But hey, maybe because they're black they should get a pass when they commit those crimes. And maybe instead of allowing them to get outside and work we should just keep them holed up for the duration.

There aren't many inmates who don't jump at the chance to go work outside.

On an expanse of 18,000 acres of farmland, 59 miles northwest of Baton Rouge, long rows of men, mostly African-American, till the fields under the hot Louisiana sun. The men pick cotton, wheat, soybeans and corn. They work for pennies, literally. Armed guards, mostly white, ride up and down the rows on horseback, keeping watch. At the end of a long workweek, a bad disciplinary report from a guard - whether true or false - could mean a weekend toiling in the fields. The farm is called Angola, after the homeland of the slaves who first worked its soil.

This scene is not a glimpse of plantation days long gone by. It’s the present-day reality of thousands of prisoners at the maximum security Louisiana State Penitentiary, otherwise known as Angola. The block of land on which the prison sits is a composite of several slave plantations, bought up in the decades following the Civil War. Acre-wise, it is the largest prison in the United States. Eighty percent of its prisoners are African-American.

continued here:
America?s Plantation Prisons

Good for them. Don't break the law and you won't have to worry about it.

New Topics

Forum List

Back