America's infrastructure is collapsing.

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
America's infrastructure is collapsing. Tens of thousands of bridges are structurally deficient or functionally obsolete. A third of the nation's highways are in poor or mediocre shape. Massively leaking water and sewage systems are creating health hazards and contaminating rivers and streams. Weakened and under-maintained levees and dams tower over communities and schools. And the power grid is increasingly maxed out, disrupting millions of lives and putting entire cities in the dark. The Crumbling of America explores these problems using expert interviews, on location shooting and computer generated animation to illustrate the kinds of infrastructure disasters that could be just around the bend.

The Crumbling of America

In reality, little of the $850 billion American Recovery & Reinvestment Act of 2009 proposed by congressional Democrats will actually be spent on actual road and bridge projects – the sort of things most people think of when they hear infrastructure spending, according to the office of Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala.

The recent proposal distributed by congressional Democrats will provide only an additional $15 billion in 2009 and 2010 for road construction and repair. And of that $30 billion total provided, some funds are earmarked for narrow uses such as technology training or construction of roads on Indian reservations and in national parks.

According to those calculations, that’s just a little more than 3 percent meant to be spent on actual road and bridge construction. Compare that $30 billion allocated in this bill to the most expensive road project in U.S. history – the infamous “Big Dig” of Massachusetts. The final tally puts the cost of this road project to $15 billion and estimates say it will end up costing $22 billion by the year 2038. The $30 billion in this package would just be enough to cover the costs of that one project and a few smaller plans.
Debunking Stimulus Myth: Only 3% Allotted for Road, Bridge Infrastructure Spending

While many of you may agree or disagree on the Stimulus and those of you who have read my postings on the subject know where I stand. There is no doubt that many of this nations highways, and bridges are falling apart due to decades of neglect. It would seem that to focus on projects that are both long term and short term is a good thing, in terms of jobs and actually stimulating construction and transportation. In my opinion roads and bridges are for the most part other than those that are part of the interstate system an issue for states to resolve. Many of these states are soon going to be faced with massive unfunded mandates from a healthcare bill and almost all of them are facing a budget crisis. Faced with the prospect of cutting in order to meet these mandates it does not bode well for these road projects. It makes much more sense, at least in real terms to actually reform healthcare and the PRIVATE marketplace, rather than to place a burden on the states and continue to watch the infrasctucture crumble.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

do you remember when I posted threads about this while Bush was preesident?

You guys blew a gasket.

A bigger, but probably related, problem is that America's RACIAL INFRASTRUCTURE is crumbling.

A majority-minority country, like the one we're headed toward, will look more like Africa/Mexico/Brazil/Pakistan in ways not restricted to the population. We'll also have their crumbling or non-existent physical infrastructure. One follows the other.

A bigger, but probably related, problem is that America's RACIAL INFRASTRUCTURE is crumbling.

A majority-minority country, like the one we're headed toward, will look more like Africa/Mexico/Brazil/Pakistan in ways not restricted to the population. We'll also have their crumbling or non-existent physical infrastructure. One follows the other.
a

Fuck off you assminer.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

do you remember when I posted threads about this while Bush was preesident?

You guys blew a gasket.

So you advocated that states should focus on infrastructure and private market place reforms for healthcare rather than federal Mandates at the expense of those projects? Interesting, I would have like to have seen that. If you did, then you would not have gotten much argument from me.

-i-w-35-Minnesota_Bridge_Collapse_sff_MNMIT141_20070801230759.jpg

I was dumb enough to believe this bridge collapse in Minnesota during rush hour in 2007 would be a wake-up call.

Bridge Collapse- msnbc.com

Here is a link to the more than 70 thousand bridges, by state, deemed unsafe by government inspectors.

I admit, I have been disappointed by the Obama Administrations slow movement getting this funding going. When you rebuild America's infrastructure, that generates "good" jobs, which in-turn creates a tax base, which in turn generates revenue to rebuild more infrastructure.

This is one of the things Republicans have been AGAINST. Why? I don't know. You'll have to ask them. Seems like a no brain-er to me. After all, the collapse happened on their watch and they did nothing. But, we had more independent things to do. There are camel jockeys 12 thousand miles away that might, they might, wait a second, what might they do?

Even now, Republicans are dead set against rebuilding America's infrastructure. They call that "pork".

Government sucks at infrastructure just like they suck at everything else. When you have a monopoly backed by violence running something it should be pretty obvious they are gonna be shitty at what they give you in return.

-i-w-35-Minnesota_Bridge_Collapse_sff_MNMIT141_20070801230759.jpg

I was dumb enough to believe this bridge collapse in Minnesota during rush hour in 2007 would be a wake-up call.

Bridge Collapse- msnbc.com

Here is a link to the more than 70 thousand bridges, by state, deemed unsafe by government inspectors.

I admit, I have been disappointed by the Obama Administrations slow movement getting this funding going. When you rebuild America's infrastructure, that generates "good" jobs, which in-turn creates a tax base, which in turn generates revenue to rebuild more infrastructure.

This is one of the things Republicans have been AGAINST. Why? I don't know. You'll have to ask them. Seems like a no brain-er to me. After all, the collapse happened on their watch and they did nothing. But, we had more independent things to do. There are camel jockeys 12 thousand miles away that might, they might, wait a second, what might they do?

Even now, Republicans are dead set against rebuilding America's infrastructure. They call that "pork".

US President George W. Bush signed a $286.5bn highway bill on Wednesday that he said would create new jobs but which critics contend is stuffed with billions of dollars worth of lawmakers’ pet projects.

The legislation funds road and mass transit construction for six years, but also contains $24 billion in “pork” -- special add-ons initiated by members of the Senate and House of Representatives to curry favor in their home districts. “The bill ... is going to help give hundreds of thousands of Americans good paying jobs,” Bush said. “Our economy depends on us having the most efficient, reliable transportation system in the world and if we want people working in America we’ve got to make sure our highways and roads are
Bush: $286 billion highway bill (incl. $24 billion in pork) "creates jobs" - Democratic Underground

First, speaking only for myself here, I'm not against spending on interstate highways and roads and other projects that the Federal Govt. regulates, however where I think you see many people express disappointment is when you see spending for such projects get diverted into things that have no bearing on the building of those roads ( i.e. pork) Like for example, a million dollars on a sex education program in a roads bill? Thats where I think you see the seperation. The other thing is when you see a small percentage of the money actually used on those projects and most of it diverted for other uses as the roads and other infrastructure continues to fall apart.

From your own link

But the measure contains more than 6,300 special projects. They include $231 million for a bridge in Anchorage to be named Don Young’s Way after Republican Rep. Don Young of Alaska, who heads the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, and $2.3 million for landscaping along the Ronald Reagan Freeway in California. Alaska, the third-least populated state, got the fourth most money for special projects -- $941 million -- according to an analysis by the government watchdog group Taxpayers for Common Sense.

Keith Ashdown, the group’s vice president, said Bush should have vetoed the “fiscally irresponsible” bill. “It leaves the nation stuck in traffic gridlock, but greases the wheels of powerful politicians,” Ashdown said. ”This bill is by far the most expensive, wasteful highway bill in the nation’s history.”

Ya know... When the Republicans had control of Washington DC, I thought and hoped that maybe if we put a non-insider (not Hillary) into the Whitehouse the infrastructure would get a little more attention. Mostly it was the democrats that were calling for an end to the 'status-quo', a return to investing in infrastructure and education and a reasonable tax code. Now that the democrats control DC, we rightfully hear from the republicans about how the ball is being dropped by the guys in charge.

What the fuck did the republicans EVER do while they had power that would suggest that they will change ANYTHING besides the names on the committee rosters if we give them another chance?

It is no longer a 'Republican' versus 'Democrat' philosophy issue. The would-be kings have been using both political parties to systematically divert wealth and power their direction, while using both parties to keep us squabbling over social issues. Now they are laughing at us.

How much longer until it's pitch-forks and torches time?

Last edited:
I read the rest of the article Truth thank you, but what it shows is that Republicans spend on roads just like Democrats do, and guess what? they both contained the smae amount of useless pork and accomplish nothing. Further, in the current situation we find ourselves in, States can never hope to do anything about the road an infrastructure situation , when they are looking at additional millions in unfunded mandates and in the case of Arizona for example are facing a 3 billion dollar budget shortfall.

Most states are in finacial trouble.

Can you tell us why they are in finacial trouble?

I can tell you why my state is, one is over spending on social services, especially state Medicaid, a loss of tax revenue because of the forclosures, underfunding the states rainy day fund, and a failure to recognize spending was out pacing revenue and not adjust to it and continue to operate without proper planning. Arizona for example requires a super majority in our legislature to raise taxes for any purpose and knowing this and by not cutting back on social services the state kept gorwing them and then the housing crisis hit, still more revenue loss, and still more social spending, and now you have a budget crisis, So you see truth , if the Fed. comes to Arizona, and says " YOU WILL SPEND 1 billion on Medicaid" there is no place other than to lay off teachers, fire, police, stop road projects to get it. How other states raise their revenue or find themselves in a like crisis am pretty sure its close to the same but won't say for sure, Texas though, is an exception , to my knowledge Texas by law has a state rainy day fund that gives it a large surplus each year.

Navy is spot on, at least in defining one of the many problems facing our nation; and, 2parties provides and example of why fixing anything is near impossible.
2Parties seems to want to privatize everything done by government, and by inference stop the government from regulating economic matters (i.e. the banking, insurance and health care industries).

Monies spent on infrastructure makes sense, at least when the dollars spent go to domestic improvements and to pay salaries and benefits to Americans (who in turn will pay taxes, and buy goods and services in their communities). Building a $ 700 billion dollar embassy in Iraq was stupid (insane when one takes into consideration an estimated $ 1.3 billion annual operating budget).
2Parties must believe those who build bridges and roads are government employees and concludes they are therefore incompetent.
The fact is investing our tax dollars in such repairs, rebuilds and new roadways provides jobs to the private sector, and as has been shown time and again, the private sector seems to find cost overruns an entitlement.

Now these are not exact numbers, but just take a nuclear power plant, now before you all start beating me up on nuclear power, I'm a strong nuclear power advocate. The average plant employ's between 1000 and 1500 people on a perm. basis and thats just the plant, and does not include the additional 2 to 3000 support people. During the constuction phase a power plant creates somewhere around 15 to 20,000 jobs in all phases of consturction. Now it seems to me and maybe this is being too simple I suppose that knowing this and knowing the benefits in terms of jobs, etc. etc. etc. at least to me thats a real stimulus. What seems to be lost on some, is that when these people are employed , they also have healthcare insurance, and in an environment like that, then perhaps, the Govt. could actually focus on real healthcare reform like costs, rather than what some K Street lobby group wants them to focus on.

Navy is spot on, at least in defining one of the many problems facing our nation; and, 2parties provides and example of why fixing anything is near impossible.
2Parties seems to want to privatize everything done by government, and by inference stop the government from regulating economic matters (i.e. the banking, insurance and health care industries).

Monies spent on infrastructure makes sense, at least when the dollars spent go to domestic improvements and to pay salaries and benefits to Americans (who in turn will pay taxes, and buy goods and services in their communities). Building a $ 700 billion dollar embassy in Iraq was stupid (insane when one takes into consideration an estimated $ 1.3 billion annual operating budget).
2Parties must believe those who build bridges and roads are government employees and concludes they are therefore incompetent.
The fact is investing our tax dollars in such repairs, rebuilds and new roadways provides jobs to the private sector, and as has been shown time and again, the private sector seems to find cost overruns an entitlement.

I just wish all Americans would realize that it is the same thing as doing the needed repairs on your own home.

There is no other way to fix this than to pony up the money to fix it.

WHO amoung you is willing to PAY this bill?

We haven't spent four trillion on wars in other countries. We have spent by now close to 20 trillion on the welfare state in the last forty years and people wonder why we can no longer afford to maintain our infrastructure. 20% of the populous works for state federal or local government another thirty per cent is drawing a government check and you wonder why we have no money to maintain or improve infrastructure?

Forum List

Back