America’s first dogs vanished after Europeans arrived, study finds

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
This is the first I've heard of this. Looks like folks loved and cared for dogs in America 10,000 years ago.

3P5YWSXFAM3IBBNI6IEO7RZL3Y.jpeg

A dog buried nearly 10,000 years ago in western Illinois, at what is known as the Koster site. The site contains the earliest dog remains found in the Americas. (Del Baston, courtesy of the Center for American Archaeology)

For thousands of years, dogs lived alongside early Americans. This human-canine partnership has been gleaned through bones: The earliest dog remains found in North America were buried nearly 10,000 years ago in what is now Illinois. By 7,000 years ago, other bones show that “we have lots of dogs all over the place,” said Angela Perri, a zooarchaeologist at Durham University in England.

But then, sometime after the 15th century, these ancient dogs disappeared. European colonists — and the canines they brought with them — all but wiped the early dogs’ genetic signature from Earth, according to the largest-ever study of ancient and modern dog DNA in North America and Siberia.

“This paper makes really clear that the ancient American dog appears to have almost entirely vanished, though nobody seems to have any good explanations for why,” said Elinor Karlsson, a University of Massachusetts professor who studies dog genetics and was not involved in the research, which was published Thursday in Science. “It’s almost like a huge chunk of history that’s been kind of lost.”
<more>

Well they didn't love and care for horses...they hunted and ate them probably contributing to their extinction. I can't blame them. Horse meat is tasty stuff.

This is the first I've heard of this. Looks like folks loved and cared for dogs in America 10,000 years ago.

A dog buried nearly 10,000 years ago in western Illinois, at what is known as the Koster site. The site contains the earliest dog remains found in the Americas. (Del Baston, courtesy of the Center for American Archaeology)

For thousands of years, dogs lived alongside early Americans. This human-canine partnership has been gleaned through bones: The earliest dog remains found in North America were buried nearly 10,000 years ago in what is now Illinois. By 7,000 years ago, other bones show that “we have lots of dogs all over the place,” said Angela Perri, a zooarchaeologist at Durham University in England.

But then, sometime after the 15th century, these ancient dogs disappeared. European colonists — and the canines they brought with them — all but wiped the early dogs’ genetic signature from Earth, according to the largest-ever study of ancient and modern dog DNA in North America and Siberia.

“This paper makes really clear that the ancient American dog appears to have almost entirely vanished, though nobody seems to have any good explanations for why,” said Elinor Karlsson, a University of Massachusetts professor who studies dog genetics and was not involved in the research, which was published Thursday in Science. “It’s almost like a huge chunk of history that’s been kind of lost.”
<more>
Did the Europeans genocide the dogs like they supposedly did the Indians..via the *use* of influenza and smallpox?

Or did all the dogs just get parvo like the dogs on the rez?

<more>
Did the Europeans genocide the dogs like they supposedly did the Indians..via the *use* of influenza and smallpox?

Or did all the dogs just get parvo like the dogs on the rez?
I'm sure it's because of evil white people.
Apparently they are the worst thing that happened to planet Earth.
Course everywhere I've been all over the world, whites tended to bring civilization and a workable society.
Course every society has it's criminal element.

Then getting back to this subject.......this could be the result of diseases that settlers brought with them and accidentally passed on to the native humans and pets.
This is why you need closed borders and a workable immigration policy.

Last edited:
Chihuahua (¿Chiwawa river?) ... or Australian Shepards for example; American dogs but everyone thought once they came from Australia ... and so on ...

Well they didn't love and care for horses...they hunted and ate them probably contributing to their extinction. I can't blame them. Horse meat is tasty stuff.

This was a very short time after the Red Indians had arrived in America. The Red Indians found very soon ways to avoid the extinction of other species. Not so the idiots who came to America after Columbus.

Last edited:

This was a very short time after the Red Indians had arrived in America. The Red Indians found very soon ways to avoid the extinction of other species. Not so the idiots who came to America after Columbus.

Yeah...tribesman that learned to live in their environment after 10K years...slow clap. I am not impressed by Native Americans in the least.

Yeah...tribesman that learned to live in their environment after 10K years...slow clap. I am not impressed by Native Americans in the least.

And I am not impressed from the English speaking mass-murderers of so many different Red Indian nations and tribes. When Columbus came lived about 60 million Red Indians in America. This was about 10% of the world population. And how many Red Indians did you meet last Thanksgiving? Exactly no one? You are a shame for all mankind.

Last edited:

<more>

interesting stuff there

several sites out here over the years

suggest that some dogs became lunchable

in most societies the dog had an important role

And I am not impressed from the English speaking mass-murderers of so many different Red Indian nations and tribes. When Columbus came lived about 60 million Red Indians in America. This was about 10% of the world population.

the native American back then was pretty good at wiping each other out as well

<more>

was not able to access the article

do you know off chance what the dna said

about which ancient breed of dog they came from

Love the vid!

No worries. Pretty sure injuns don't give a rats fuck about you either.

I thought dogs were originally from wolves?

Regardless...here is a vid I love:

And I am not impressed from the English speaking mass-murderers of so many different Red Indian nations and tribes. When Columbus came lived about 60 million Red Indians in America. This was about 10% of the world population.

the native American back then was pretty good at wiping each other out as well

I don't discuss with you now about the history of Red Indian tribes.

Forum List

Back