America's Debt Denial

Blagger

Rookie
Sep 8, 2010
Under your skin.
Is America in denial about the extent of its financial problems, and therefore incapable of dealing with the gravest crisis the country has ever faced?

This is a story of debt, delusion and - potentially - disaster. For America and, if you happen to think that American influence is broadly a good thing, for the world.

The debt and the delusion are both all-American: $14 trillion (£8.75tn) of debt has been amassed and there is no cogent plan to reduce it.

The figure is impossible to comprehend: easier to focus on the fact that it grows at $40,000 (£25,000) a second.

Is this stubbornly ignorant attitude towards its undeniably dangerous level of debt going to knock America from its perch? Obscurity's inevitable, you know. All of the great powers fade over time. However much their legacy endures, the Greek, Roman and British empires all faded into the background. But the question is: will America's standing in as the world's #1 superpower be overshadowed by Chinese ambition ahead of expectations?

Is the US in denial over its $14tn debt? - BBC

No, the USA is not in denial.

It simply cannot find the political stones to solve the problem.

Is America in denial about the extent of its financial problems, and therefore incapable of dealing with the gravest crisis the country has ever faced?

This is a story of debt, delusion and - potentially - disaster. For America and, if you happen to think that American influence is broadly a good thing, for the world.

The debt and the delusion are both all-American: $14 trillion (£8.75tn) of debt has been amassed and there is no cogent plan to reduce it.

The figure is impossible to comprehend: easier to focus on the fact that it grows at $40,000 (£25,000) a second.

Is this stubbornly ignorant attitude towards its undeniably dangerous level of debt going to knock America from its perch? Obscurity's inevitable, you know. All of the great powers fade over time. However much their legacy endures, the Greek, Roman and British empires all faded into the background. But the question is: will America's standing in as the world's #1 superpower be overshadowed by Chinese ambition ahead of expectations?

I've been to China - trust me - they have a long way to go before catching up to the USA. We are the greatest nation on earth! Don't let the media or anyone else fool ya !

I think you mean liberals don't have the stones to solve the problem. Plenty of conservatives do. But they continue to be vilified by the left.

I think you mean liberals don't have the stones to solve the problem. Plenty of conservatives do. But they continue to be vilified by the left.

Wrong! Gutting every federal program including SS and Medicare does not show having the political stones to do anything while insisting on further tax cuts. The idea is completely delusional. So conservatives are no better than liberals who really don't want to cut anything. We need both cuts in spending and an overall increase in taxes. If this was attacked from both sides of the equation, the pain would be minimal to both sides. Instead, we have people like Tim Pawlenty who believe we can run an effective government on 13.5% of GDP. This is at a time when defense and security spending is 6% of GDP, and SS and Medicare is 8% of GDP. Not only is it laughable, it's absurd.

If the Brits, who are mostly liberal, are saying; "Holy Shit!! $40,000 a second!"

Maybe it's time our own libs faced the fact you can't be everything to everybody.

People have to re-learn to care for themselves.

If the Brits, who are mostly liberal, are saying; "Holy Shit!! $40,000 a second!"

Maybe it's time our own libs faced the fact you can't be everything to everybody.

Is there anyone left to teach them ?

Didn't you get the memo? REAGAN proved that deficits don't matter!!!!
That settles it, REAGAN is God.

"Reagan proved deficits don't matter."
Dick Cheney

'I don't worry about the deficit. It's big enough to take care of itself.'
Ronald Reagan

Thier fellow Americans.

While I'm certain there's more than a few who would turn a blind eye to another plight. Most of us would dig deep to help a person out that actually wanted to learn.

Feed a man a fish and all that jazz.

Thier fellow Americans.

While I'm certain there's more than a few who would turn a blind eye to another plight. Most of us would dig deep to help a person out that actually wanted to learn.

Ok--are any of them willing to learn ?

You've never heard of the Tea Party groups? You didn't realize the major asskicking the democrats got in the midterm elections last november? I wouldn't say most Americans are in denial, not even the dems. The question is what to do about it, that's where the differences lie. Some people think all we need to do is knock off a few hundred billion out of the defense budget, being the boys home from the ME, and raise taxes on the rich. Problem solved.

Thier fellow Americans.

Some are, some, clearly, are not.

As mean as this sounds; Hunger is a great motivator. so if you limit a persons choices to working or going hungry, most people will choose to work. Even a shitty job is better than hunger.

Thier fellow Americans.

As mean as this sounds; Hunger is a great motivator. so if you limit a persons choices to working or going hungry, most people will choose to work. Even a shitty job is better than hunger.

They will either work or steal if it is not handed to them. Cross your fingers.

Wrong! Gutting every federal program including SS and Medicare does not show having the political stones to do anything while insisting on further tax cuts. The idea is completely delusional. So conservatives are no better than liberals who really don't want to cut anything. We need both cuts in spending and an overall increase in taxes. If this was attacked from both sides of the equation, the pain would be minimal to both sides. Instead, we have people like Tim Pawlenty who believe we can run an effective government on 13.5% of GDP. This is at a time when defense and security spending is 6% of GDP, and SS and Medicare is 8% of GDP. Not only is it laughable, it's absurd.

Wrong.

We need to cut taxes. Give us all the ability to crank up production and employment.

We need to cut spending and pay down the fucking debt without screwing ourselves into the ground with yet more idiotic taxation.

We would need to tax a whole lot less if we could grasp the obvious, simple and correct solution: STOP SPENDING so fucking much.

They will either work or steal if it is not handed to them. Cross your fingers.

:lol:

You get 3 hots and a cot in jail.

and boredom gets to many of them so they take a prison job. Thus learning how to work for a living.

Is that a win - win? or am I just :cuckoo:?

I never said anything about tax cuts. I could care less if they are cut, raised, or stay the same. The government has demonstrated it only knows how to spend more than it takes in, that is the real problem.

Its not like taxes have any chance in hell of being cut, they haven't been cut in nearly 10 years. And dispite Obama's promise that middle class taxes would be lowered, my taxes have only gone up since he has taken office.

No, I mean exactly what I wrote.

OK, so you're just and idiot then and can't admit some folks do know how to solve the problem.

Didn't you get the memo? REAGAN proved that deficits don't matter!!!!
That settles it, REAGAN is God.

"Reagan proved deficits don't matter."
Dick Cheney

'I don't worry about the deficit. It's big enough to take care of itself.'
Ronald Reagan

Thankfully we got some real conservatives in Congress in the 90's and they balanced that budget. :eusa_shhh:

Forum List

Back