Americas Cup

Oracle are playing their single race postponement card.
There's only going to be one race today.

The good guys are looking solid now.
Two more days racing and this could be wrapped up.
A change of tactician for Oracle couldn't change the game as Team New Zealand thrashed the America's Cup defenders twice today.

A come-from-behind win by 47-seconds was followed by a massive 1min 6sec start-to-finish victory in the second race of the day.

That took Team New Zealand to six wins to Oracle's one in the series, leaving them needing three more victories to lift the cup.

Oracle still need 10 wins to hold the cup and must surely have run out of ideas now.
America's Cup: Two wins edges Team NZ closer to... | Stuff.co.nz

the oracle got caught cheating......

You'd think The Oracle would have seen this coming.

That did make me laugh!!! VERY clever, idb!!

Great to see the Kiwis doing well....it's a wonderful sailing country.

Shame about the cheating from the US team....no one likes to see that.

I wouldn't call it cheating.
They're using the rules and it appears to have worked for them, they've picked up a couple of races.

There's been some real drama, with NZ losing a race over the weekend when they nearly capsized, and the second race being postponed.
Then, today, a real nail-biter in the second race (Oracle sailed away with it in the first).

One race left today (hopefully).
One win needed by NZ to take the cup away.

Oracle have the crucial port entry to the start box though which seems to be a huge advantage going by previous results.

Second race called off just as the boats hit the start line at race pace!!!
Could tomorrow be the day that the cup comes back down-under?

Well, Oracle have just won their seventh race in a row!!!
They have been able to get the boat sailing several hundred percent better than it was at the start of the regatta...Larry has obviously blown millions on it over the last couple of weeks by flying in a team of designers and engineers from New Zealand.
On top of that, the Oracle team are just out-sailing the Kiwis.
This could be one of the great comebacks in sporting history.
It has all come down to one more race - winner take all.

Seeing these huge machines racing at full tilt is awesome stuff.
What makes it even better is that the good guys are about to win!
America's Cup - americas-cup - sport | Stuff.co.nz

If you are referring to the good guys as being genuine American products, look again!:eusa_whistle: most of them are from Australia and overseas.
Anyway, now it's 8 wins even and tomorrow will be the deciding day! Oracle does look to be the faster boat with a great team full of confidence so they are probably favored to win the cup. Congratulations to Larry Ellison for funding Oracle!

( on a note aside....it must be devastating for the Kiwis when they were up 8 to 1 and all they had to do was win one race to get the cup :()

Seeing these huge machines racing at full tilt is awesome stuff.
What makes it even better is that the good guys are about to win!
America's Cup - americas-cup - sport | Stuff.co.nz

If you are referring to the good guys as being genuine American products, look again!:eusa_whistle: most of them are from Australia and overseas.
Anyway, now it's 8 wins even and tomorrow will be the deciding day! Oracle does look to be the faster boat with a great team full of confidence so they are probably favored to win the cup. Congratulations to Larry Ellison for funding Oracle!

( on a note aside....it must be devastating for the Kiwis when they were up 8 to 1 and all they had to do was win one race to get the cup :()

Oh yes, looking at the NZ captain after the race was a study in dejection.
He'll know that there are millions watching while he leads one of the greatest chokes in history.

The racing has had this country on the edge of it's metaphorical seat for the past three weeks or so.
Racing starts at 0815 here so it's difficult to get anyone to answer the phone in the mornings until the races are over.

Oracle USA won, by about 700 meters if I overheard correctly. By the final leg of the race it really wasn't even that close. The last turn by the Golden Gate Bridge, NZ was roughly 23 seconds behind Oracle (a guy behind me counted it out). NZ was seriously struggling with their tacking and just couldn't make up the distance. I walked down to Fort Mason to watch the final race and there were pretty solid and excited crowds there and all along the waterfront.

I actually ran into Team NZ at a karaoke bar right around when they were on the verge of winning a few weeks back. They were really happy and excited, leading NZ chants from the stage. A lesson not to count your chickens, I suppose.

Last edited:
Oracle USA won, by about 700 meters if I overheard correctly. By the final leg of the race it really wasn't even that close. The last turn by the Golden Gate Bridge, NZ was roughly 23 seconds behind Oracle (a guy behind me counted it out). NZ was seriously struggling with their tacking and just couldn't make up the distance. I walked down to Fort Mason to watch the final race and there were pretty solid and excited crowds there and all along the waterfront.

I actually ran into Team NZ at a karaoke bar right around when they were on the verge of winning a few weeks back. They were really happy and excited, leading NZ chants from the stage. A lesson not to count your chickens, I suppose.

For sure, but it's hard not to count your chickens when you're 8-1 and needing only one win!

The transformation to the Oracle boat in a couple of weeks has been astonishing.
When the racing started they were being beaten up all over the place.
If racing hadn't been cancelled several times while NZ still had the technology advantage over them it would have been finished long ago.

This has been the most amazing regatta...and I'm not a sailor.

Amazing stuff...but THREE races called off with NZ leading...it's not great tournament.

Amazing work by Oracle, of course...but I think NZ deserved to win.

Amazing stuff...but THREE races called off with NZ leading...it's not great tournament.

Amazing work by Oracle, of course...but I think NZ deserved to win.

The last race just showed the progress in Oracle over the course of the regatta.
NZ were leading and Oracle simply sailed 'round them...it was the opposite at the start of the competition.
There was no way we could match the money that Ellison was able to bring to bear on his challenge over those couple of weeks.

That's the name of the game now though...it's a seriously big-boy's game.

Agreed.

But given most cups in the past have been first to five wins, I think ETNZ have a right to feel more than a little hard done by. OK, Oracle was faster in the end, but I think first to seven wins should be plenty to win any tournament. Dragging it out for 2 weeks made it a bit farcical to me.

Forum List

Back