America’s Crumbling Infrastructure

This is a disaster waiting to happen and Obama as talked about it but there is no money to fix it and Congress would never approve it anyway. It would require another stimulus package and states would sit on it or use it for pork projects as they did with first stimulus. The stimulus worked to some degree but it was not big enough. It is the sure way of jump starting the economy that we cannot afford not to take seriously. Bridges, dams, levies, highways and roads, pipelines, sewer system, power grids, transportation system, railroads are aging and past their life and need repair and would create millions of jobs and is a matter of life for Americans that has gone ignored long enough.
$2.2 trillion needed to repair?

why isn't there money to fix it.. We ALL pay hefty gasoline taxes,, what is obummer pissing that money away on?
Because he's stalled ALL drilling/production...and demanded MORE taxes.

The Libs think we just don't pay enough in taxes...

I am getting tired of this crap every time I pay.

Taxes out of my paycheck.
Federal,State,City,SS medicare,
City tax,sales tax,tax on gasoline.
Tolls that go up every friggin time I turn around...

Tolls that go up constantly.
Wasn't that money supposed to go to the upkeep on that bridge I just went over
or tunnel that i went through...

And the Libs are crying we don't pay enough in taxes...

:mad:

why isn't there money to fix it.. We ALL pay hefty gasoline taxes,, what is obummer pissing that money away on?

Statists are control freaks.

Defeat them wherever you find them. That simple.

One of the key signs that we are in the early stages of an economic collapse and that we are heading towards another Great Depression is America's crumbling infrastructure. The truth is that our infrastructure is literally falling apart all around us.
America's aging infrastructure cannot handle the number of people that we have now. With the population of the United States expected to hit 420 million by 2050, there are serious questions about how the national infrastructure is going to hold up under such a strain.

Look Out Below! America's Infrastructure Is Crumbling.
Look Out Below! America's Infrastructure Is Crumbling - Pew Research Center

This is a disaster waiting to happen and Obama as talked about it but there is no money to fix it and Congress would never approve it anyway. It would require another stimulus package and states would sit on it or use it for pork projects as they did with first stimulus. The stimulus worked to some degree but it was not big enough. It is the sure way of jump starting the economy that we cannot afford not to take seriously. Bridges, dams, levies, highways and roads, pipelines, sewer system, power grids, transportation system, railroads are aging and past their life and need repair and would create millions of jobs and is a matter of life for Americans that has gone ignored long enough.
The federal fuel tax has remained at 18cent/gal for the last 10 years and is not indexed to inflation. A third of the tax goes to support local transit and other projects leaving little money for maintenance of our Interstates and almost nothing for major expansions. Most of the money for maintaining the Interstate highways ends up coming out of state budgets which are being cut every year.

What few people seem to realize, is how much of our economy depends on our Interstate highway system which is running nearly 200% of capacity. A better highway system means, goods get to market faster, and workers become more productive which translates into economic expansion.

Another sad attempt to generate a cause that the administration can latch on to. If you want to look at the glass half empty you can say with certainty that every infrastructure in the world is crumbling. The greatest Country in the world has always handled the problem regardless of bad administrations, natural disasters, war and even the good times. In my area a couple of years ago we got hit with the remnants of a hurricane and severe flooding destroyed a lot of roads and the highway dept was blacktopping one road while it was repairing others. Interstate 81 has been undergoing bridge repair for the last four or five years. Relax doomsdayers the Country is chugging along just fine.

One of the key signs that we are in the early stages of an economic collapse and that we are heading towards another Great Depression is America's crumbling infrastructure. The truth is that our infrastructure is literally falling apart all around us.
America's aging infrastructure cannot handle the number of people that we have now. With the population of the United States expected to hit 420 million by 2050, there are serious questions about how the national infrastructure is going to hold up under such a strain.

The federal gas tax raises about 25 billion a year and since it's not indexed to inflation, it's lost 1/3 of it's purchasing power since it was last increased 10 years ago. The cost to build the transportation we need in the 21st century is estimated at over 2 trillion dollars.

Last edited:
We need a high speed train from Nowhere Ca to Las Vegas!

All it costs is 16, 17 20 billion!

Sure Spirit flies LAX to LAS for 125 and 16B pays for 125 million plane fares, but the INFRASTRUCTURE IS CRUMBLIN'!

Another sad attempt to generate a cause that the administration can latch on to. If you want to look at the glass half empty you can say with certainty that every infrastructure in the world is crumbling. The greatest Country in the world has always handled the problem regardless of bad administrations, natural disasters, war and even the good times. In my area a couple of years ago we got hit with the remnants of a hurricane and severe flooding destroyed a lot of roads and the highway dept was blacktopping one road while it was repairing others. Interstate 81 has been undergoing bridge repair for the last four or five years. Relax doomsdayers the Country is chugging along just fine.
Not all countries. China is pouring huge sums into infrastructure investments.

I see a $1.3 Trillion deficit

I see over $16T in unfunded MANDATES.

Taxes is revenue and revenue would fix it and not tax cuts and cuts in goverenment programs for the poor and creating more poverty and more spending we don't have.
Thousands of years ago Jesus saw the need for taxes.
Ezra 4:13 Furthermore, the king should know that if this city is built and its walls are restored, no more taxes, tribute or duty will be paid, and the royal revenues will suffer.

The Romans ruled most of the known world at the time Jesus lived. While the Jewish people resented this intrusion into their lives, they were nonetheless allowed basic freedoms, provided they stayed out of trouble and paid their taxes.
The Romans levied taxes on every aspect of life. There were taxes on the land as well as a poll tax on every male child over fourteen years old and every female over twenty. There were tolls people had to pay to go from one place to another, dues and market fees. There were taxes on everything.

Children's Sunday School Curriculum; Book 2

Excellent, and the United States can do the same thing and expect the same results. What happened to the Roman Empire?

The federal fuel tax has remained at 18cent/gal for the last 10 years and is not indexed to inflation. A third of the tax goes to support local transit and other projects leaving little money for maintenance of our Interstates and almost nothing for major expansions. Most of the money for maintaining the Interstate highways ends up coming out of state budgets which are being cut every year.

What few people seem to realize, is how much of our economy depends on our Interstate highway system which is running nearly 200% of capacity. A better highway system means, goods get to market faster, and workers become more productive which translates into economic expansion.

The United States federal excise tax on gasoline is 18.4 cents per gallon and 24.4 cents per gallon for diesel fuel. On average, as of April 2012, state and local taxes add 31.1 cents to gasoline and 30.2 cents to diesel, for a total US average fuel tax of 49.5 cents per gallon for gas and 54.6 cents per gallon for diesel.

There appears to be a problem with the people that manage the billions in state and federal fuel tax money. I read that in 2006 60% of the federal fuel tax went to maintain the roads and 40% went to earmarks for other projects. Just another reason to stop our Congress critters from passing earmarks and spend the money on our roads and bridges instead of high speed trains to nowhere.

The United States federal excise tax on gasoline is 18.4 cents per gallon and 24.4 cents per gallon for diesel fuel. On average, as of April 2012, state and local taxes add 31.1 cents to gasoline and 30.2 cents to diesel, for a total US average fuel tax of 49.5 cents per gallon for gas and 54.6 cents per gallon for diesel.

There appears to be a problem with the people that manage the billions in state and federal fuel tax money. I read that in 2006 60% of the federal fuel tax went to maintain the roads and 40% went to earmarks for other projects. Just another reason to stop our Congress critters from passing earmarks and spend the money on our roads and bridges instead of high speed trains to nowhere.
In 2005 the transportation bill had 6,000 earmarks. The current bill is still in Congress. I'm sure it has a lot special projects, also the Keystone pipeline.

In 2005 the transportation bill had 6,000 earmarks. The current bill is still in Congress. I'm sure it has a lot special projects, also the Keystone pipeline.

I wasn't aware of the fact that the Keystone pipeline was a federal project. I was under the impression that all the pipeline needed was permission for the right of way so private companies could build it. Correct me if I am wrong.

And, If I were a Congress critter I would attach the Keystone pipeline permission to every bill that is voted on until it passes.

This happened in 2009:

On Tuesday evening, when President Barack Obama declared before a joint session of Congress that "we passed the recovery plan free of earmarks," House Democrats, led by Speaker Nancy Pelosi, popped out of their seats like jackrabbits for a standing ovation. On Wednesday, those same House Democrats, led by Pelosi, passed a budget with, by some counts, nearly 9,000 earmarks, worth an estimated $7.7 billion.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1881855,00.html#ixzz1wNmVilsE

Last edited:

All those taxes we pay on gasoline are supposed to be for infrastructure repair. At least thats the reason one gets when you question the taxes.

What are they doing with all that tax money if not fixing infrastructure??

How many billions a year do they get in gas taxes and road tolls??

I see over $16T in unfunded MANDATES.

Taxes is revenue and revenue would fix it and not tax cuts and cuts in goverenment programs for the poor and creating more poverty and more spending we don't have.
Thousands of years ago Jesus saw the need for taxes.
Ezra 4:13 Furthermore, the king should know that if this city is built and its walls are restored, no more taxes, tribute or duty will be paid, and the royal revenues will suffer.

The Romans ruled most of the known world at the time Jesus lived. While the Jewish people resented this intrusion into their lives, they were nonetheless allowed basic freedoms, provided they stayed out of trouble and paid their taxes.
The Romans levied taxes on every aspect of life. There were taxes on the land as well as a poll tax on every male child over fourteen years old and every female over twenty. There were tolls people had to pay to go from one place to another, dues and market fees. There were taxes on everything.

Children's Sunday School Curriculum; Book 2

Excellent, and the United States can do the same thing and expect the same results. What happened to the Roman Empire?

Post-Empirical period, it was the longest lasting republic in history and one of the primary models for most modern, Western government.

However, I think the greatest analogy to the USA and the Roman Empire is the same as it is to the Greek Empire, British Empire and so on.
The single greatest contributor to their downfall was expanding their military presence so far around the world, it became unmanageable both logistically and financially.
Sound familiar?

All those taxes we pay on gasoline are supposed to be for infrastructure repair. At least thats the reason one gets when you question the taxes.

What are they doing with all that tax money if not fixing infrastructure??

How many billions a year do they get in gas taxes and road tolls??
Fuel taxes are suppose to go for transportation, but not necessarily roads. The tax has to be renewed periodically which means a new bill with new wording so the money can go wherever congress wants to seen it. About 25 billion a year comes from the fuel tax but there's other money that's added to the bill that goes elsewhere.

Why Did Jesus Pay Taxes with a Coin from the Mouth of a Fish?
Jesus paid the temple tax so that even the hated tax collectors would have the opportunity to accept him as their rock of salvation. As Jesus told John the Baptist, "Blessed is he who is not offended because of me."
Why Did Jesus Pay Taxes with a Coin from the Mouth of a Fish? > Kids Talk About God > Bible Lesson Archive

"Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar’s," meant that the emperor was owed nothing.

If Jesus would have said that it is lawful to pay the tribute, he would have been seen as a collaborator with the Roman occupiers and would have alienated the people who had just proclaimed him a king. If Jesus would have said that the tribute is illegitimate, he risked being branded a political criminal and incurring the wrath of Rome. With either answer, someone would have been likely to kill him. Jesus immediately recognized the trap. He exposed the hostility and the hypocrisy of his interrogators and recognizes that his questioners were daring him to enter the temporal fray of Judeo-Roman politics.

And let's not forget: Tiberius Caesar – a man, who, in his personal life, was a pedophile, a sexual deviant, and a murderer and who, as emperor, claimed to be a god and oppressed and enslaved millions of people, including Jesus’ own.

Jesus paid the temple tax so that even the hated tax collectors would have the opportunity to accept him as their rock of salvation. As Jesus told John the Baptist, "Blessed is he who is not offended because of me."
Why Did Jesus Pay Taxes with a Coin from the Mouth of a Fish? > Kids Talk About God > Bible Lesson Archive

"Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar’s," meant that the emperor was owed nothing.

If Jesus would have said that it is lawful to pay the tribute, he would have been seen as a collaborator with the Roman occupiers and would have alienated the people who had just proclaimed him a king. If Jesus would have said that the tribute is illegitimate, he risked being branded a political criminal and incurring the wrath of Rome. With either answer, someone would have been likely to kill him. Jesus immediately recognized the trap. He exposed the hostility and the hypocrisy of his interrogators and recognizes that his questioners were daring him to enter the temporal fray of Judeo-Roman politics.

And let's not forget: Tiberius Caesar – a man, who, in his personal life, was a pedophile, a sexual deviant, and a murderer and who, as emperor, claimed to be a god and oppressed and enslaved millions of people, including Jesus’ own.
I suppose there is some link between Caesar being a pedophile and a sexual deviant and our crumbling infrastructure, but I can't quite see the connection.

The Romans certain saw the need for good roads. They were a key to their economic success and some exist today after 2,000 years. At the rate we're going some of our interstates may not make it to the end of the decade.

I suppose there is some link between Caesar being a pedophile and a sexual deviant and our crumbling infrastructure, but I can't quite see the connection.

The Romans certain saw the need for good roads. They were a key to their economic success and some exist today after 2,000 years. At the rate we're going some of our interstates may not make it to the end of the decade.

It was in reference to the OP using an incorrect analogy of trying to tug at our heart strings by stating that Jesus was in favor of Roman taxation. I'm certainly not against maintaining good infrastructure. Perhaps if we weren't taxing and spending on worthless items year after year we could actually use taxation properly and apply it to our infrastructure.

Last edited:

It was in reference to the OP using an incorrect analogy of trying to tug at our heart strings by stating that Jesus was in favor of Roman taxation. I'm certainly not against maintaining good infrastructure. Perhaps if we weren't taxing and spending on worthless items year after year we could actually use taxation properly and apply it to our infrastructure.

I'm in this late but I agree with the above in bold. If we knew the money would actually get spent on our infrastructure and not pork or whatever, I'd be all for a huge investment into that effort.

New Topics

Forum List

Back