Americans Renounce Citizenship

Figaro

VIP Member
Jul 23, 2014
Significant numbers of people are continuing to renounce their U.S. citizenship or end their long-term U.S. residency.
There are 776 names on the Treasury Department list published Friday for the third quarter of 2014

Unlike other developed nations, the U.S. taxes citizens on income they earn anywhere in the world. The rule dates to the Civil War. U.S. tax liabilities can also cover children born to Americans abroad, extending the reach of the Internal Revenue Service across generations as well as oceans. There are only partial offsets for double taxation for people who owe taxes both to the U.S. and a foreign country, and the reporting rules are onerous, experts say.

No other country taxes children who may never have been in their parent's home country. They are infected with citizenship through their parents. This is insanity

We have an out of control government. Citizens won't take that kind of abuse forever.

We have an out of control government. Citizens won't take that kind of abuse forever.

Yes they will. Because it happens over time, not all at once. If these policies came about instantly, people'd resist, protest, and possibly rebel. As it stands though, governments know if they make changes slowly, subtlely, and over time the people will acclimate to the incremental changes bit by bit until big changes have taken effect.

Yes they will. Because it happens over time, not all at once. If these policies came about instantly, people'd resist, protest, and possibly rebel. As it stands though, governments know if they make changes slowly, subtlely, and over time the people will acclimate to the incremental changes bit by bit until big changes have taken effect.

Actually people aren't taking it. They are giving up their citizenship. This means that the government not only doesn't get the increases they want, the government is losing what it was getting.

I believe the elite statists would prefer to execute these traitors and take their property.

Actually people aren't taking it. They are giving up their citizenship. This means that the government not only doesn't get the increases they want, the government is losing what it was getting.

Less than 800 rich people is hardly a rebellion. That's for tax reasons, not anything substantial.

Less than 800 rich people is hardly a rebellion. That's for tax reasons, not anything substantial.

I am willing to bet millions of Americans would renounce their citizenship if they had good options open to them.

It's 800 people, not all are rich, but they aren't the only ones. That's the recent ones. Many of those who are giving up citizenship are just working people. They live in another country. Maybe they took a job, or married a foreign national and now lives in the home country of the spouse.

American citizenship isn't as attractive as it once was. Would you want to become a citizen if it meant that you would be taxed if you went back to your home country, or that your children would be taxed if they were never in the United States?

American citizenship isn't as attractive as it once was. Would you want to become a citizen if it meant that you would be taxed if you went back to your home country, or that your children would be taxed if they were never in the United States?

Good point.

It would be funny if the millions of Mexican illegals, made legal by King Obama, returned to Mexico.

Moreover, who wants to be the part of almost completely moral decayed society? Or to be the representative of state, which head is insane man, whom almost all the world hates

According to your post it's been going on for over 100 years. Not too many people seem to have a big problem with it.

If you're an American you should pay taxes.

Being an American isn't an infection.

I'm proud to be American and I have no problem paying taxes.

I don't take all this nation has to offer and not give back or pay for what I use.

700 and something people out of over 300 million.

Maybe if corporations would start paying taxes we could have enough money to pay the nation's bills and properly maintain our infrastructure.

When I retire I'll likely renounce my citizenship to avoid the taxes thing as well. Find a peaceful little country that never goes to war, has similar freedoms to the US, and spend my life in peace and no-stress. :)

This is not entirely correct. If you are living in a country that has a double tax agreement with the US, then the host country tax is what you pay - the US government at most might require a tax return (but won't tax you again).

Forum List

Back