Americans on trial in Egypt - Americans didn't show up

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
Trial is adjourned after Americans fail to appear in Cairo court - CNN.com

Cairo (CNN) -- The trial of international aid workers -- including 16 Americans -- accused of fraud in Egypt got a brief start Sunday as intense behind-the-scenes diplomatic discussions simmered over the case.

Out of the 43 defendants facing fraud charges, only 14 non-American workers showed up to court for a trial unfolding in the wake of the revolution that ousted former President Hosni Mubarak, and increasingly shaky relations with the United States.
"None of the foreigners have been served documents to appear in court or received anything in writing. As far as I know, none of the foreigners are appearing in court today," said Les Campbell, regional director of the National Democratic Institute.

Earlier, the Egyptian general prosecutor's office said a failure to appear could result in a maximum, mandatory sentence of five years and possible additional charges, a spokesman for the Egyptian general prosecutor's office said.

"We have a problem. ...We have a problem with a lot of our friends around the world."

Ya think?

Cairo (CNN) -- The trial of international aid workers -- including 16 Americans -- accused of fraud in Egypt got a brief start Sunday as intense behind-the-scenes diplomatic discussions simmered over the case.

Out of the 43 defendants facing fraud charges, only 14 non-American workers showed up to court for a trial unfolding in the wake of the revolution that ousted former President Hosni Mubarak, and increasingly shaky relations with the United States.
"None of the foreigners have been served documents to appear in court or received anything in writing. As far as I know, none of the foreigners are appearing in court today," said Les Campbell, regional director of the National Democratic Institute.

Earlier, the Egyptian general prosecutor's office said a failure to appear could result in a maximum, mandatory sentence of five years and possible additional charges, a spokesman for the Egyptian general prosecutor's office said.

"We have a problem. ...We have a problem with a lot of our friends around the world."

Ya think?

I think the judge is providing time for a negotiated settlement. Imo, the Egyptian government wanted to send a message to the west to stay out of their affairs, and now that the message has been sent, they will be willing to settle for a fine and an apology for inadvertently not filing all the necessary forms in a timely fashion, or something of that sort.

Ya think?

I think the judge is providing time for a negotiated settlement. Imo, the Egyptian government wanted to send a message to the west to stay out of their affairs, and now that the message has been sent, they will be willing to settle for a fine and an apology for inadvertently not filing all the necessary forms in a timely fashion, or something of that sort.

I wish I had that kind of confidence in the diplomatic process these days. IMO, Americans should just stay home.

I wish I had that kind of confidence in the diplomatic process these days. IMO, Americans should just stay home.

It strikes me as terribly arrogant for Americans to presume to go over there to teach Egyptians how to bring about democratic change.

It strikes me as terribly arrogant for Americans to presume to go over there to teach Egyptians how to bring about democratic change.

Well, I went there with a group of nurses to teach them about 'evidence based practice.' They invited us. No doubt, just like they did the ones on trial.

Well, I went there with a group of nurses to teach them about 'evidence based practice.' They invited us. No doubt, just like they did the ones on trial.
Whom might PRESUME to do so? The Egyptians are free to ignore the attempts.

Teaching a technology is a very different matter from presuming to teach people who live in a vastly different society from your own how to challenge their government.

Of course they are, but for an American to presume to teach an Egyptian about how to change his government strikes me as similar to a man telling a woman how to cope with her menstrual cycle.

Of course they are, but for an American to presume to teach an Egyptian about how to change his government strikes me as similar to a man telling a woman how to cope with her menstrual cycle.

Obviously you have never been to a gynecologist.

Teaching a technology is a very different matter from presuming to teach people who live in a vastly different society from your own how to challenge their government.

Evidenced based practice is not 'technology'. It is a theoretical foundation of medical and nursing practice. Just like democracy is a theoretical foundation of our government.

Evidenced based practice is not 'technology'. It is a theoretical foundation of medical and nursing practice. Just like democracy is a theoretical foundation of our government.

A technology is the practical application of knowledge to a particular situation, so ebp is certainly a technology. You seem to be under the impression that the Americans who were arrested were teaching classes in political science; they were not. They were trying to teach Egyptians how to bring about political change in Egypt. It is hard to imagine why they thought they knew more about how to behave effectively in Egypt than Egyptians did.

A technology is the practical application of knowledge to a particular situation, so ebp is certainly a technology. You seem to be under the impression that the Americans who were arrested were teaching classes in political science; they were not. They were trying to teach Egyptians how to bring about political change in Egypt. It is hard to imagine why they thought they knew more about how to behave effectively in Egypt than Egyptians did.

Funny to you maybe. You clearly do not understand the difference in theory and technology. I can tell you that I know more about the theory of what I do than the Egyptian nurses know. If you think they have a leg up on that one go get in the hospital there. LOL. They don't even have a licensing exam.

Forum List

Back