Americans Have No Idea How Few Gay People There Are

American_Jihad

Flaming Libs/Koranimals
May 1, 2012
Gulf of Mex 26.609, -82.220

By Garance Franke-Ruta
May 31 2012

Surveys show a shockingly high fraction think a quarter of the country is gay or lesbian, when the reality is that it's probably less than 2 percent.
queernation.banner.jpg

One in ten. It's the name of the group that puts on the Reel Affirmations gay and lesbian film festival in Washington, D.C., each year. It's the percent popularized by the Kinsey Report as the size of the gay male population. And it's among the most common figures pointed to in popular culture as an estimate of how many people are gay or lesbian.

But what percentage of the population is actually gay or lesbian? With the debate over same-sex marriage again an emerging fault line in American political life, the answer comes as a surprise: A lower number than you might think -- and a much, much, much lower one than most Americans believe.

In surveys conducted in 2002 and 2011, pollsters at Gallup found that members of the American public massively overestimated how many people are gay or lesbian. In 2002, a quarter of those surveyed guessed upwards of a quarter of Americans were gay or lesbian (or "homosexual," the third option given). By 2011, that misperception had only grown, with more than a third of those surveyed now guessing that more than 25 percent of Americans are gay or lesbian. Women and young adults were most likely to provide high estimates, approximating that 30 percent of the population is gay. Overall, "U.S. adults, on average, estimate that 25 percent of Americans are gay or lesbian," Gallup found. Only 4 percent of all those surveyed in 2011 and about 8 percent of those surveyed in 2002 correctly guessed that fewer than 5 percent of Americans identify as gay or lesbian.

Politics - Garance Franke-Ruta - Americans Have No Idea How Few Gay People There Are - The Atlantic

Last edited:

By Garance Franke-Ruta
May 31 2012

Surveys show a shockingly high fraction think a quarter of the country is gay or lesbian, when the reality is that it's probably less than 2 percent.
queernation.banner.jpg

One in ten. It's the name of the group that puts on the Reel Affirmations gay and lesbian film festival in Washington, D.C., each year. It's the percent popularized by the Kinsey Report as the size of the gay male population. And it's among the most common figures pointed to in popular culture as an estimate of how many people are gay or lesbian.

But what percentage of the population is actually gay or lesbian? With the debate over same-sex marriage again an emerging fault line in American political life, the answer comes as a surprise: A lower number than you might think -- and a much, much, much lower one than most Americans believe.

In surveys conducted in 2002 and 2011, pollsters at Gallup found that members of the American public massively overestimated how many people are gay or lesbian. In 2002, a quarter of those surveyed guessed upwards of a quarter of Americans were gay or lesbian (or "homosexual," the third option given). By 2011, that misperception had only grown, with more than a third of those surveyed now guessing that more than 25 percent of Americans are gay or lesbian. Women and young adults were most likely to provide high estimates, approximating that 30 percent of the population is gay. Overall, "U.S. adults, on average, estimate that 25 percent of Americans are gay or lesbian," Gallup found. Only 4 percent of all those surveyed in 2011 and about 8 percent of those surveyed in 2002 correctly guessed that fewer than 5 percent of Americans identify as gay or lesbian.

Politics - Garance Franke-Ruta - Americans Have No Idea How Few Gay People There Are - The Atlantic

And? Are you just posting stuff with no comments of your own?

a couple of observations, based on the premise of the OP...

if the homosexual population is indeed around 2%, that puts them at about the same concentration as the Jewish population... which, even though it's relatively small, would make America a much less interesting, vibrant and successful place if it did not exist...

if the homosexual population is indeed around 2%, then why should folks feel so threatened that "the gays are taking over"...?

a couple of observations, based on the premise of the OP...

if the homosexual population is indeed around 2%, that puts them at about the same concentration as the Jewish population... which, even though it's relatively small, would make America a much less interesting, vibrant and successful place if it did not exist...

if the homosexual population is indeed around 2%, then why should folks feel so threatened that "the gays are taking over"...?

AJ is fearful being recruited

More left-handed people, yet fewer protests.....

I don't think they HAVE to protest not being allowed to marry or serve or keep their jobs or be allowed to adopt. If lefthanded people were denied such things, do you think they would do NOTHING?

Left handed people are born that way, they do not choose to become left handed. :lol:
They dont have have left handed parades to tell everyone they are left handed :lol:

I don't think they HAVE to protest not being allowed to marry or serve or keep their jobs or be allowed to adopt. If lefthanded people were denied such things, do you think they would do NOTHING?

Left handed people are born that way, they do not choose to become left handed. :lol:
They dont have have left handed parades to tell everyone they are left handed :lol:

Is anyone having their rights denied for being left handed? Do they have anything TO protest?

BTW...there ARE Left-handed conventions.

BTW....when did you CHOOSE to not be ...er...."lefthanded"?

my first wife was always pissed off about how it's a right-hander's world...

'course, she has a flamin' lib, so we don't have to take her into account... :redface:

'course, she has a flamin' lib, so we don't have to take her into account... :redface:

I take it from your post that she was allowed to marry. How generous of our government to allow her that "special right".

I take it from your post that she was allowed to marry. How generous of our government to allow her that "special right".

I know this isn't the proper time or place for my declaration and proposal, but I'm goin' ahead anyhow... I love you, bodie... always have ever since our first encounter years ago in Hansterland...

if I had a sex change operation, would you marry me...?

Is anyone having their rights denied for being left handed? Do they have anything TO protest?

Scissors
Pencil sharpeners
Computer mouse
Cameras
Guitars
Firearms
Writing (penmanship)
Desks in classrooms
Table saw
Wrist watches
Desktop keyboards
Cooking and baking utensils
Notebooks
Manual can openers
Belts
Those damn stylist pens are usually attached on the right
Ice cream scoops
Pants with only one back pocket (it's always on the right)
Coffee makers often only have one water level indicator on the left side, which means pour with your right hand.

But hey, we lefties just live with what we've been born with and are okay with it all, adapting where necessary.

Scissors
Pencil sharpeners
Computer mouse
Cameras
Guitars
Firearms
Writing (penmanship)
Desks in classrooms
Table saw
Wrist watches
Desktop keyboards
Cooking and baking utensils
Notebooks
Manual can openers
Belts
Those damn stylist pens are usually attached on the right
Ice cream scoops
Pants with only one back pocket (it's always on the right)
Coffee makers often only have one water level indicator on the left side, which means pour with your right hand.

But hey, we lefties just live with what we've been born with and are okay with it all, adapting where necessary.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those are all things that can be supplied thru private, merchantial sources......they are not restricted THRU the government, are they?

Being left handed isn't sexually perverse. Being homo is.

Pretending there's a correlation between the two is pathetically ignorant.

Being left handed isn't sexually perverse. Being homo is.

Pretending there's a correlation between the two is pathetically ignorant.

I remember when nuns whipped kids to "cure" them of their left-handedness...

plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back