Americans Favour Creationism Over Evolution

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
(Angus Reid Global Scan) – Many adults in the United States disagree with the theory of evolution, according to a poll by Harris Interactive. 54 per cent of respondents reject the notion that human beings developed from earlier species.

Charles Darwin’s "The Origin of Species" was first published in 1859. The book details the British naturalist’s theory that all organisms gradually evolve through the process of natural selection. Darwin’s views were antagonistic to creationism, the belief that a more powerful being or a deity created life. 64 per cent of respondents think humans were created directly by God, while 22 per cent favour evolution. Ten per cent of respondents support the concept of intelligent design, which suggests certain biological mechanisms are too complex to have developed without the involvement of a powerful force or intelligent being.

In the United States, the debate on the topic accelerated after the 1925 Scopes trial, which tested a law that banned the teaching of evolution in Tennessee public schools. Last year, Georgia’s Cobb County was at the centre of a controversy on whether science textbooks that explain evolutionary theory should include disclaimer stickers. 55 per cent of respondents believe all three theories—creationism, evolution and intelligent design—should be taught in public schools.

The Kansas State Board of Education is scheduled to vote on new proposed science standards for the teaching of evolution in August. The latest draft includes criticism of evolution by proponents of intelligent design.

Polling Data

Do you think human beings developed from earlier species or not?

Jun. 2005
Mar. 1994

Yes, think so
38%
44%

No, do not think so
54%
46%

Not sure / Declined to answer
8%
11%

Which of the following do you believe about how human beings came to be?

Human beings were created directly by God
64%

Human beings evolved from earlier species
22%

Human beings are so complex that they required a
powerful force or intelligent being to help create them
10%

Not sure / Decline to answer
4%

Regardless of what you may personally believe, which of these do you believe should be taught in public schools?"

Creationism only: "Creationism says that human
beings were created directly by God."
23%

Evolution only: "Evolution says that human
beings evolved from earlier stages of animals."
12%

Intelligent design only: "Intelligent design says that
human beings are so complex that they required a
powerful force or intelligent being to help create them."
4%

All three
55%

None
3%

Not sure / Decline to answer
3%

Source: Harris Interactive
Methodology: Telephone interviews with 1,000 American adults, conducted from Jun. 17 to Jun. 21, 2005. Margin of error is 3 per cent.

http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/index.cfm/fuseaction/viewItem/itemID/8015

Evolution is more than just whether you believe God or gods created you or whether man descended from apes.

When your doctor tells you to finish your antibiotics or you will develop a resistance to it that's because of EVOLUTION.

When you have to use a different pesticide on your lawn this year than in prior years, that is because the insects have EVOLVED to resist that pesticide.

When a virus that is spread by one species of mosquito moves to another species of mosquito that's EVOLUTION.

EVOLUTION can be observed every day. I know anti-intellectualism and anti-science fervor is fashionable in America but let's grow up and admit that evolution is a fact. If you also want to believe in creationism that's cute but the examples I cite above have nothing to do with religion. :bang3:

nucular said:
the examples I cite above have nothing to do with religion. :bang3:

You're right.. have nothing to do with religion -but have EVERYTHING to do with Intelligent design by our divine Creator...

-Cp said:
You're right.. have nothing to do with religion -but have EVERYTHING to do with Intelligent design by our divine Creator...

So you think evolution exists but God created it and guides it?

Or evolution doesn't exist and God sits around and fiddles with things like pesticide resistance?

I must agree with this one. Pretty much every woman I know would rather create their own children than wait for them to evolve. In preparation for this, I have been practicing procreation for several years. Just to make sure I get it right if it happens someday down the line.

"Has anyone noticed that the people who don't believe in evolution seem to be less evolved? 'Give us our thumbs!' "
--Bill Hicks, the funniest man who ever lived

Gabriella84 said:
I must agree with this one. Pretty much every woman I know would rather create their own children than wait for them to evolve. In preparation for this, I have been practicing procreation for several years. Just to make sure I get it right if it happens someday down the line.

"Has anyone noticed that the people who don't believe in evolution seem to be less evolved? 'Give us our thumbs!' "
--Bill Hicks, the funniest man who ever lived

"Walking Eagle"

nucular said:

Its frustrating isn't it! UNBELIEVABLE: more Americans believe in 'creation' now than 10 years ago!!!!!!! U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E. That species is surely on an evolutionary dead end path.

8236 said:
Its frustrating isn't it! UNBELIEVABLE: more Americans believe in 'creation' now than 10 years ago!!!!!!! U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E. That species is surely on an evolutionary dead end path.

Don't get too spun up...a poll of only 1,000 people can get drastically different results depending on where the poll is taken.

I was under the impression that species adaptation (of which examples were given above, and there is clear evidence) and the creation of man from an original single cell (which is still theory) are not mutually exclusive concepts. Why do some consider it impossible to believe in one and not the other? Even if species have evolved over time from one major form to another (fish to amphibian, etc.), that does not preclude the possibility that God created man.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that there are strange communities in America where people don't use zippers because they are not mentioned in the bible.

8236 said:
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that there are strange communities in America where people don't use zippers because they are not mentioned in the bible.
:link:

Abbey Normal said:
I was under the impression that species adaptation (of which examples were given above, and there is clear evidence) and the creation of man from an original single cell (which is still theory) are not mutually exclusive concepts. Why do some consider it impossible to believe in one and not the other? Even if species have evolved over time from one major form to another (fish to amphibian, etc.), that does not preclude the possibility that God created man.

I don't think any 'evolutionist' would claim trhat man developed from an 'original single cell'.
You are right though, the possibility that god created man in the sense in which you put it is fair enough. Science has nothing to say about such untestable 'god' concepts. However, where evolution and the age of the earth are concerned, it is like :bang: (ur head;).
If I said I believed that literal pink fairies lived at the bottom of my garden I hope you would say 'no I don't believe you' and 'show me'. The other above creationist people would probably accept me at my word and not challenge me.

MissileMan said:
Don't get too spun up...a poll of only 1,000 people can get drastically different results depending on where the poll is taken.

Who cares what the poll says anyway. It's not like they are asking people who have any scientific credibility on the issue. If they went to a bunch of PHDs in anthropology and paleontology and the poll came back with the same results we'd have something to talk about. And since when did "what you prefer" have anything to do with what is fact?

Powerman said:
Who cares what the poll says anyway. It's not like they are asking people who have any scientific credibility on the issue. If they went to a bunch of PHDs in anthropology and paleontology and the poll came back with the same results we'd have something to talk about. And since when did "what you prefer" have anything to do with what is fact?

It's kind of like how libs try to make points by saying "many americans now believe...blah blah blah". Then they can say whatever they want. Whatever pastiche of lies they feel like serving up.

Most poll are unreliable now, escpecially online polls. Go over to democratic underground and you will see "action alert: DU this poll!" Then all those rabid antiamerican fanatics go take it 50 times to skew perceptions. the truth doesn't matter to liberal liars.

rtwngAvngr said:
It's kind of like how libs try to make points by saying "many americans now believe...blah blah blah". Then they can say whatever they want. Whatever pastiche of lies they feel like serving up.
It's not just the libs doing this, as evidenced by the first post in this thread.

rtwngAvngr said:
Most poll are unreliable now, escpecially online polls.
Bingo!

rtwngAvngr said:

Most poll are unreliable now, escpecially online polls. Go over to democratic underground and you will see "action alert: DU this poll!" Then all those rabid antiamerican fanatics go take it 50 times to skew perceptions. the truth doesn't matter to liberal liars.

Why are you trying to imply that I'm a liberal just because I don't believe in the creation story?

Forum List

Back