Americans Buying AK47's Like They Are Going Out Of Style

Do you honesty think that banning certain firearms will keep them out the hand of criminals? If you do. then you are one stupid fucker!

Yes, by and large.

If the US instituted a few basic controls over gun purchasing, the availability of guns to criminals would be massively reduced.

Of course a rich drug dealer will always be able to get guns, but if you want to stop every teenage hooldum packing heat, then balanced laws can achieve that.

A compulsory psyche evaluation and a compulsory firearm safety course would be a start.

Hmmm. A quick search on the interwebs sez $700 - $900 for an AK-47.

Intentional homicides by country,Involving Firearms: (% of homicides using firearms)

USA 2.97 (60%)

Canada 0.54 (34)

Germany 0.47 (37)

Finland 0.43 (20)

Australia 0.31 (20)

Spain 0.25 (20)

NZ 0.18 (15)

England 0.12 (8)

Gun violence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Did you by chance miss this post?

The weapon of choice is a kitchen knife and the killing generally takes place at the weekend. Finnish capital crime has over the years "moved indoors" from an earlier predominance of slayings committed outside.

Helsingin Sanomat - International Edition

BigReb -

No, I saw it, but I don't see the relevance. What point are you trying to make?

Finland has the 4th highest level of gun ownership in the world - and close to the highest homicide rate in Europe as a result.

Do you honesty think that banning certain firearms will keep them out the hand of criminals? If you do. then you are one stupid fucker!

Yes, by and large.

If the US instituted a few basic controls over gun purchasing, the availability of guns to criminals would be massively reduced.

Of course a rich drug dealer will always be able to get guns, but if you want to stop every teenage hooldum packing heat, then balanced laws can achieve that.

A compulsory psyche evaluation and a compulsory firearm safety course would be a start.

The world’s first 3D-printed gun | ExtremeTech
The ULTIMATE Homemade AK-47 Pistol for 24HRAK47

Funny how some of those countries listed who have the most extreme gun control legislation on the planet also have extremely high gun crime statistics.

I wouldn't describe any of the countries on the list - except the US - as being extremely high on homicides. Which ones do you mean?

But if you rank the countries by gun ownership stats, the list looks almost identical.

England: England has worse crime rate than the US, says Civitas study - Telegraph
BBC News | UK | London crime rates high
England Murder Rates vs USA

From the last link: While England has not yet reached the American level of murders, it has already surpassed the United States in rates of robbery and burglary. Moreover, in recent years the murder rate in England has been going up under still more severe gun control laws, while the murder rate in the United States has been going down as more and more states have allowed private citizens to carry concealed weapons

BigReb -

Finland has the 4th highest level of gun ownership in the world - and close to the highest homicide rate in Europe as a result.

You saw it be failed to recognize that knives were the preferred choice of weapons to kill with in your country?

On a side note who does have the highest homicide rate in Europe in your opinion?

Last edited:
If we could let logic and reason have a moment here. What exactly about an AK-47 do you fine offensive?

Is it the caliber of the ammunition it uses?
Well that makes no sense as an AK-47 uses the equivalent of a .308, probably the most popular rifle caliber in the world. There is nothing special about that round. It's a slightly less powerful version of the what is probably the most popular hunting caliber, the century old 30-06. Bottom line, the bullets that come out of an AK-47 are nothing special.

Is it the semi-automatic capability of the firearm's action?
Well that's nothing special. 80% of firearms out there are semi autos. Remember, we're not talking about FULLY automatic firearms, which require special federal clearance and extensive fees to purchase.

Is it the fact the AK is made overseas?
Lot's of firearms, even those from American based and owned manufacturers, that are made overseas. Is that the issue?

Is it because AK-47s are used in crime?
Statistically, that's just not the case. Sidearms are the overwhelming choice for criminals.

Seriously, can someone tell me what is it about the AK-47 specifically that bothers you?

BigReb -

You saw it be failed to recognize that knives were the preferred choice of weapons to kill with in your country?

I don't see a point there.

Finland has very high gun possession. Finland has a lot of murders. Some are committed with knives.

If you want to make a point out of that - go right ahead.

BigReb -

I don't see a point there.

Finland has very high gun possession. Finland has a lot of murders. Some are committed with knives.

If you want to make a point out of that - go right ahead.

You don't see a point? when are you going to push for knife bans?

TJVH:

Homicides using guns:

USA: USA 2.97

England 0.12

The USA has a gun homicide rate around 240 times that of the UK.

Total homicides:

USA 4.55

England 1.45

The USA has a homicide rate more than 3 times that of the UK.

So which country is doing better?

TJVH:

Homicides using guns:

England 0.12

Total homicides:

USA 4.55

England 1.45

And those high death rates in the USA will be found in cities that have strict gun control. or gun free zones.

Seriously?

Finland has a massive problem with mass-shootings. We've had a half dozen shootings in schools or amongst teenagers during the past 5 years. In one something like 20 people were killed.

Let's deal with the bigger issue first.

Seriously?

Finland has a massive problem with mass-shootings. We've had a half dozen shootings in schools or amongst teenagers during the past 5 years. In one something like 20 people were killed.

Let's deal with the bigger issue first.
The bigger issue is to much gun control

And those high death rates in the USA will be found in cities that have strict gun control. or gun free zones.

It is far, far more complex than that.

For one thing, guns bought in one state or city do not always stay there.

There are also a host of other factors to consider: urban/rural ownership, weapon type, age of owner....too many to list here, but they are covered by the major studies.

Patterns in some states show gun control not working - in others it seems to be working.

The international patterns are much clearer.

TJVH:

Homicides using guns:

England 0.12

Total homicides:

USA 4.55

England 1.45

This from the link: In both countries, facts have no effect whatever on the dogmas of gun control zealots. The fact that most guns used to murder people in England were not legally purchased has no effect on their faith in gun control laws there

If we could let logic and reason have a moment here. What exactly about an AK-47 do you fine offensive?

Is it the caliber of the ammunition it uses?
Well that makes no sense as an AK-47 uses the equivalent of a .308, probably the most popular rifle caliber in the world. There is nothing special about that round. It's a slightly less powerful version of the what is probably the most popular hunting caliber, the century old 30-06. Bottom line, the bullets that come out of an AK-47 are nothing special.

Is it the semi-automatic capability of the firearm's action?
Well that's nothing special. 80% of firearms out there are semi autos. Remember, we're not talking about FULLY automatic firearms, which require special federal clearance and extensive fees to purchase.

Is it the fact the AK is made overseas?
Lot's of firearms, even those from American based and owned manufacturers, that are made overseas. Is that the issue?

Is it because AK-47s are used in crime?
Statistically, that's just not the case. Sidearms are the overwhelming choice for criminals.

Seriously, can someone tell me what is it about the AK-47 specifically that bothers you?

Minor point of correction: what we're discussing is the AK-M semi-auto variant of the AK-47. The round is not the .308 (7.62x 51) but the less powerful 7.62 X39, which is closer in ballistic performance to the old 30/30. Accuracy is average, but the weapon is simple, easy to maintain, and extremely reliable, even under adverse conditions. In short, an excellent, short to medium range defensive weapon.

The bigger issue is to much gun control

If you are comfortable having a gun homicide rate 245 times that of England, then say so.

If you are comfortable having a total homicide rate 5 times that of Germany, then say so.

Personally, I'd say many Americans would want to look at those countries and see how they work to preserve lives.

Forum List

Back