Americans are not white, colored or hyphenated

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by immto, Nov 26, 2009.

1. immto

immto Return to Freedom

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52
    This whole hyphenated Americanism crap is really getting out of hand. The idea that we are running around using hyphenated titles to describe ourselves is wrong and really quite asinine. I've touched on this subject before with people who either think I'm racist or agree with me wholeheartedly. Why do black Americans who have never been to Africa call themselves African-American? Their parents are not from Africa nor are there grandparents or great parents. Nothing about them is African.

In addition to this we now have Italian-Americans and Irish-Americans and Whatever-Americans. Why can't we simply be Americans?

I think I'm going to take it a step further and make the decision to stop using the hyphenated PC titles that have become so politically correct. In fact I'm renouncing Political Correctness. I'm going to use plain common sense language from now on and that's that.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,768
    good luck.

3. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    I just want to know one thing... Since the start of the Somali terror trials up here in the Twin Cities for those sending boys back to that nation to fight with Al Shabaz, they've been calling the defendants "Somali-Americans".

So... are they Somali-Americans or African-Americans?
    And if not, why not?
    And what's the difference?
    Not to mention, are they then able to claim both?

4. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,416
    Austrio-Germanic-Slovenian-Anglo-American here.

5. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +355
  6. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475

Oh you wild man you! LOL

7. immto

immto Return to Freedom

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52
    :lol:
    I Believe the PC term would be Somali-African-Shithead-Americans :) Are they American or just in this country on Visa if that? I know of the trials but I don't much of the details.

I myself am a German-Mexican-American. I don't go around calling myself that but my Mom was born in Gemany and My dad in Mexico which makes me a 1st generation American. When I try to explain this to people who call them selves "Blank"-Americans ofen they don't get why it's significant for you or your parents to be from another Nation. It's one thing to celebrate ones heritage and traditions but it's an another thing to go around calling your self somthing that you're not to gain some sort of sub-national recognition. I've gotten myself into some heated situations. When someone addresses them self to me as an African-American I ask them what part of Africa are they from? I usually get a blank stare for a few seconds as they formulate a way to anwser. One time, I got a immediate anwser and it was Tanzania, he immediately welcomed my question and said, No one evers asks me that, Africa is such a large place and americans don't ask which part of Africa I am from? The funniest part of this story is that he asked me why blacks here in America call them sleves African-Americans :lol: I told him I did not know and asked if he figured it out to please get back to me.

8. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    Well, my lineage is so mixed, I just basically say if it's from western or northern europe, I've got some in me, with the largest percentage being Norse, and the wierdest being Magyar. Nothing like a little Hungarian Gypsy to explain the rest.

9. immto

immto Return to Freedom

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52
    It would make life so much more simple. And then maybe we could actually get to a point that Martin Luther King Jr. would be proud of. I think if he were alive today, he'd feel like he failed miserablely.

10. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I know quite a few Americans who are black. I have yet to meet one who prefers 'African-American'. Actually, I know some who get really offended by it.