Americans are Fat

I'm glad that I'm not fat.

I go to the gym every other day and am trying to get ripped.
I got some results, but still scrawny. (and yet I do 200 crunches with an additional 50 pounds....)

Just means that I need to pick up the pace and do 300 crunches.

If you're working hard in the gym and not gaining bulk you probably need more protien in your diet.

Ph yeah one more minor point.

We do need some FAT in our diets.

The government needs to step it up and mandate what we eat, and if we don't comply there needs to be a fee (or tax) levied against those who don't conform to said mandates.
I think the same could be applied to those who don't wear brimmed hats out in the sun for protection against skin cancer which is also on the rise.

It doesn't have to be mandated but good health should always be promoted. This is why I don't take Republicans seriously, you always have to take things to an absurd level just to make some nebulous point.

Cigarettes should be taxed as well as booze, they are both detremental to your health, your families who worry about your health and to those around you who suffer from second hand smoke, drunk drivers and high medical costs.

that is Dean right there......Sarah thank you.....i could not have said it better.....:eusa_angel:

The government needs to step it up and mandate what we eat, and if we don't comply there needs to be a fee (or tax) levied against those who don't conform to said mandates.
I think the same could be applied to those who don't wear brimmed hats out in the sun for protection against skin cancer which is also on the rise.

It doesn't have to be mandated but good health should always be promoted. This is why I don't take Republicans seriously, you always have to take things to an absurd level just to make some nebulous point.

Cigarettes should be taxed as well as booze, they are both detremental to your health, your families who worry about your health and to those around you who suffer from second hand smoke, drunk drivers and high medical costs.

that is Dean right there......Sarah thank you.....i could not have said it better.....:eusa_angel:

Hey Harry, how are you? Hope all is well on the homefront.

Harry, if obamacare passes the litmus test in the Supreme Court giving the the power for the government to start mandating, it will open a can of worms. If you don't think so....remember the Eminent Domain law that was overturned, and what it created for home and landowners?
Yeah, sound just like Dean....but.

Oh by the way...hi, Sarah.

Harry, if obamacare passes the litmus test in the Supreme Court giving the the power for the government to start mandating, it will open a can of worms. If you don't think so....remember the Eminent Domain law that was overturned, and what it created for home and landowners?

Hey Meister how goes it?

Hey Meister how goes it?

Doing just fine in the north country, Sarah. Lacking snow but have plenty of cold.

ObamaCare will decide what we can eat, we don't know what's good for us

Actually, a lot of people have no idea what is good and bad for them. People, in general, are not that smart. The average IQ is 100; that's stupid to me. Sorry to anyone here with an IQ in that range, but truthfully, 100 is pathetic. And remember, that's the average.

The only real way to get people to change is through education. People do not cook at home anymore. For most people, cooking means sticking a frozen dinner in the microwave. And the poorer people are, the more likely they are to not really cook at home. They eat a lot of fast food and at home, they eat nothing but processed foods. Mothers no longer teach their daughters to cook. In fact, if anyone cooks in the house, it's as likely to be the man. Remember when Home Economics and cooking was mandatory in high school? It should be again, and not just for the girls.

As for the fact that kids do not get anywhere near enough exercise, it should be mandated that all kids get one period of gym class every day of the school year at every grade level. I don't care if we cut their academic classes short to do it. Healthier kids will learn better in less time. It's going to take at least a full generation to turn this around. The sooner we start, the better.

Fortunately leaders like Mao and Stalin knew how to address the problem of fat citizens. A little forced starvation will be for your own good.

Americans eat too much, exercise too little and demographically spekaing, are growing older (ergo, fatter) too.

What I find most most troubling is the number of overweight children.

I suspect that the number one problem, is SODA consumption.

4f.gif

Soda consumption and video games... and parents who don't make them get out and do some type of physical activity.

Soda consumption is a far bigger factor. It'll take hours of play to burn off a single can.

For a lot of people, me included... it's a problem of addiction. There just isn't any sort of framework in this country to cope with the addictive problems people have been developing over their lifetimes when it comes to food.

No, the diet and exercise industry and all their gimmicky inventions are not a solution. Those are simply money-making industries designed around the knowledge that people will typically fail.

One needs to look within for the solution to the problem. Commitment along with the desire and willingness to make the necessary changes in one's life. In any aspect of one's life.

That's making it way too simple.

Obese seniors at risk of mental decline...
:confused:
Obesity harms 'later brain skill'
21 March 2012 - A high BMI was linked to lower cognitive scores
Being overweight in later life puts you at higher risk of brain decline, research suggests. A study of 250 people aged between 60 and 70 found those with a high body mass index (BMI) and big waists scored more poorly in cognitive tests. The Alzheimer's Society said the research, in the journal Age and Ageing, added to evidence that excess body fat can affect brain function. Lifestyle changes can help make a difference, it said. The Korean study looked at the relationship between fat levels and cognitive performance in adults aged 60 or over.

The participants underwent BMI - a calculation based on a ratio of weight to height - and waist circumference measurements, a scan of fat stored in the abdomen and a mental test. Both a high BMI and high levels of abdominal fat were linked with poor cognitive performance in adults aged between 60 and 70. In individuals aged 70 and older, high BMI, waist circumference and abdominal body fat were not associated with low cognitive performance. The lead author of the study, Dae Hyun Yoon, said: "Our findings have important public health implications. The prevention of obesity, particularly central obesity, might be important for the prevention of cognitive decline or dementia."

A spokesperson from the UK Alzheimer's Society said: "We have all heard how a high BMI is bad for our heart but this research suggests it could also be bad for the head. "Although we don't know whether the people in this study went on to develop dementia, these findings add to the evidence that excess body fat could impact on brain function. "One in three people over 65 will die with dementia but there are things people can do to reduce their risk. "Eating a balanced diet, maintaining a healthy weight, exercising regularly and getting your blood pressure and cholesterol checked can all make a difference."

BBC News - Obesity harms 'later brain skill'

Forum List

Back