Americans Acting Like Americans Again

DaGoose

Gold Member
Nov 16, 2010
Illinois
Ford, GM see Nov. sales gains as Toyota falters

DETROIT — All major automakers but Toyota reported strong U.S. sales increases in November as the auto industry's slow-motion recovery continued to gain traction.

Ford, General Motors, Chrysler, Nissan, Hyundai and Honda all reported double-digit increases. Only Toyota, which has been hurt by a string of safety recalls, had a sales drop.

Industry analysts say the solid sales numbers, combined with a strong October, show that consumers who have kept their jobs through the economic downturn are now feeling confident enough to spend money and replace older vehicles.

Yingzi Su, GM's senior economist, said the stable and increasing auto sales mean that consumers with jobs are starting to spend again, and that's a good sign for the broader economic recovery.

Once businesses see increased consumer spending, they will be more willing to hire workers, a factor that has held back the economic recovery for months.

Of the major automakers, Hyundai Motor Co. had the biggest increase, up 45 percent from the same month last year. Nissan Motor Co. sales were up 27 percent, followed by Honda Motor Co. at 21 and Ford Motor Co. with 20 percent. Chrysler had a 17 percent increase, while General Motors reported sales up 11 percent from November of last year, a month marked by consumer paralysis due to high unemployment. Toyota sales dipped 3 percent.

GM reported increased showroom traffic toward the end of the month, after its initial public stock offering on Nov. 18. The U.S. government, which spent $49.5 billion bailing GM out of its financial troubles last year, cut its stake in the company from 61 percent to about 33 percent by selling stock in the IPO. GM has maintained that government ownership has hurt its image with consumers and its sales. GM shares rose 2 percent to $34.83 in afternoon trading.

Black Friday gains, but consumers stay nervous Nissan’s new Leaf is the perfect commuter car 12 must-have toy hits from Christmases past Hyundai's big sales increase was led by the popular Sonata midsize sedan, which has sold well since its recent redesign. Sales were up 72 percent. The Korean automaker's sales have been rising all year. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40453300/ns/business-autos/

Trimmed and Linked.

You do realize that once the Feds took shares in GM and Chrysler a "kill toyota" media campaign was launched in earnest right?

The whole sticky accelerator, bad brakes recall turned out to be a myth. There was no underlying problem beyond carpet rub.

But that was enough to seriously damage Toyota's market share in the states.

With housing prices and employment dropping again. I think these sales figures are a head fake.

I'm just really happy to see the Big Three gaining in sales while Toyota is losing. Every American should be driving an American brand car.

You do realize that once the Feds took shares in GM and Chrysler a "kill toyota" media campaign was launched in earnest right?

The whole sticky accelerator, bad brakes recall turned out to be a myth. There was no underlying problem beyond carpet rub.

Not Possible.
Gawd Blast murka !!!

I'm just really happy to see the Big Three gaining in sales while Toyota is losing. Every American should be driving an American brand car.

HAHAHAAAA!
Can't say American MADE car..only American BRAND car...is that what the smoke filled union hall slogan is now?

You are wrong.

American taxpayers bailed out Chrysler. Italy's Fiat owns a large percentage of Chrysler. Recently, Fiat allowed Chrysler to build the Fiat 500 model. Chrysler put the plant for this model in Mexico.
So, U.S. tax dollars have brought new jobs to Mexico, profits for the Italian economy, and pretty much left Americans holding the bag.
See how that works?
Therefore, your catchy 'Buy American' slogan, in reality, does not pass the smell test.

From the article:

Of the major automakers, Hyundai Motor Co. had the biggest increase, up 45 percent from the same month last year. Nissan Motor Co. sales were up 27 percent, followed by Honda Motor Co. at 21 and Ford Motor Co. with 20 percent. Chrysler had a 17 percent increase, while General Motors reported sales up 11 percent from November of last year, a month marked by consumer paralysis due to high unemployment. Toyota sales dipped 3 percent.

The top 3 sales gainers were HYUNDAI, NISSAN, and HONDA.

GM had the lowest growth of any of them, excluding Toyota.

Heh.

But Toyata was the only one targeted in a world wide smear campaign after just recently surpassing GM as world sales leader.

There is plenty of time to sabotage Honda and the other chinkmobile mannys when they threaten American auto hegemony.

Last edited:
Ford, GM see Nov. sales gains as Toyota falters - Business - Autos - msnbc.com

^^^ That's where the OP got his 'thoughts'.

And.... pasting an entire article is a breach of copyright.

Yes. That's where I got my idea for a thread. Your point?

And though I now know that an entire article C&P is frowned upon I'll not do it again but I'm not so sure there's a copyright infringement. :confused:

I once e-mailed a nationally syndicated columnist and asked him about that very subject. He said he would send my e-mail to the legal dept for an opinion and let me know if there was a problem with it. I never heard back....

But Toyata was the only one targeted in a world wide smear campaign after just recently surpassing GM as world sales leader.

There is plenty of time to sabotage Honda and the other chinkmobile mannys when they threaten American auto hegemony.

:bsflag:

And though I now know that an entire article C&P is frowned upon I'll not do it again but I'm not so sure there's a copyright infringement. :confused:

I once e-mailed a nationally syndicated columnist and asked him about that very subject. He said he would send my e-mail to the legal dept for an opinion and let me know if there was a problem with it. I never heard back....

Whether you are sure whether it's a copyright infringement or not is neither here nor there. It is. And it in breach of the boards T&Cs. Paste a couple of paras and put in a link. Not rocket science - I know you're a leftie, but surely that simple instruction is not above your intellectual paygrade.

HAHAHAAAA!
Can't say American MADE car..only American BRAND car...is that what the smoke filled union hall slogan is now?

No....but being an American one should want to be patriotic enough to buy American, right?

Whether you are sure whether it's a copyright infringement or not is neither here nor there. It is. And it in breach of the boards T&Cs. Paste a couple of paras and put in a link. Not rocket science - I know you're a leftie, but surely that simple instruction is not above your intellectual paygrade.

Geez!! I admitted it was wrong and said it wouldn't happen again.

What do you want, a blood oath?

But is it really an American car?

Today, some 75 years since the Model T made Ford a global monolith, the lines between domestic and foreign automakers are so blurred as to be virtually indistinguishable. A global GM is importing an Australian Holden model (the basis for the Pontiac G8) and a German Opel model (the basis for the Saturn Aura). Meanwhile, we have the omnipotent Toyota producing trucks in both Texas and Indiana, Honda with a vast presence in Ohio and Ontario, Canada and the Koreans opening plants in both Alabama (Hyundai) and Georgia (Kia, in 2009).

Adding to the mix (and confusion) is how U.S. consumers define "American." Following the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), both Canada and Mexico have grown in importance to the U.S. marketplace. Detroit's presence in Canada is well established (and precedes NAFTA), but the free trade agreement opened a wave of investment south of our border; much of that production is directed back to the U.S. and Canada.

For example, Chrysler's retro PT Cruiser may recall American cars of the prewar era, but it's produced at a Chrysler plant in Toluca, Mexico. And according to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), only 35 percent of the PT Cruiser's content is sourced in the U.S. or Canada. The "American" Ford Fusion contains just 30-percent U.S./Canadian content, whereas the competing "Japanese" Honda Accord contains 70 percent, Nissan Altima 65 percent and Toyota Camry 80 percent.

Conversely, the all-new Toyota Tundra (engineered in the U.S. and produced at Toyota's newest manufacturing facility in San Antonio, Texas) is as wholly American as any Japanese vehicle has been to date. In conjunction with the Tundra's rollout is an intensified marketing campaign to paint Toyota as a wholly American company. The campaign includes macho TV ads whose gruff-voiced narrator sounds as if he just walked off the cattle farm. And it's reinforced by Toyota dealers throughout the country, including one in North Texas that hung its Tundra from a crane, draped with a "Made in America" banner.​
Your "American-made" car may be employing more non-Americans than Americans. Is your goal the employment of Americans, or the employment of union members?

Forum List

Back