American Sovereignty Restoration Act of 2009

If the US gets out of the UN its effectively abolished because we're the big gun. I don't see that it particularly erodes our sovereighnity. How so? The UN did not support our attack on Iraq and we went right ahead and did it anyway.

How does the UN hurt? I think it is beneficial to have a forum where leaders of the world can meet and express their views, even those of states that don't have dipolmatic ties with one another. I think there are lots of UN agencies that do some good, tho' I'm not an expert on the subject.

Why would you think that the nuke situation would be any better without the UN?

How much does it cost the US per year? 1/10% of Govt expenditures or less I'd bet.

it hurts because all it is, is a place where they meet to bash the US.....and we allow it to go on.....and the UN is not the reason there hasnt been any world wars,there have been many minor wars,and if this org. had any effect,those wars would have ended much sooner,some still go on....like the Sudan.....very ineffective org.......

That's the point. They can bash us and we can bash them back, but it serves as a forum where this can happen so there is at least some channel of communication and expression.

With its dominant position and veto power on the security council the US has been able to use the UN far more to its benefit than detriment.
and so is Obama or our rep. there going to bash them back?.....or do they just sit while the troll from Ven. bad mouths the country or that piece of shit from Iran does.....Bolton is the only guy i have ever heard treat them a little harshly....but even he was restrained.....so where is this bashing you talk about?....and if it only takes 1 veto on the security council to derail something,what good is it?....

Hey--I have written, called, e-mailed my senators & congressmen over the enempt & I believe corrupt United Nations. They don't do "jack" for the billions of dollars we pay them each year. Look at Darfur!

They're as political as our congress is, & just about as effective. Meaning zero, nada--Zilch.

Seriously---haven't we passed the point where we can expect anyone to listen. They don't even pretend to listen until election time rolls around anyway.

Despite him not listening, I continue to pester my Congressman. I hope he hates me. Well, his staff anyways.
I'm probably considered a murderer of congressional fax machines. I have email subscriptions to numerous orgs that let you fax pre-made letters to congressmen & administration officials.

But back on topic: The US will never leave the UN, not matter who's in office. For some reason, our politicians want us to stay in such a corrupt and disorganized organization. Now that i look at the sentence i just typed, i figure being in the UN makes our politicians feel at home.

Forum List

Back