"American" Sedans - Do We Care?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DGS49, Jun 5, 2018.

1. DGS49

DGS49 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,800
    From all indications, Chrysler and Ford are getting out of the business of making and selling sedans.

While no one will miss the Taurus, Fusion, or Focus, the Chrysler 300 and the Dodge Charger are both interesting niche vehicles offering both a market-maximum wheelbase (120") and rear-wheel drive, as well as "muscle car" drivetrains not found anywhere else for under $40 grand.

Police departments, still complaining about the death of the Crown Vic, will shortly have to shift from Chargers to...what?...SUV's? for their baseline cop "cars"? This has already happened in my area, with most PD's now driving Ford Explorers.

The Koreans, Japanese, and to a lesser extent, Volkswagen have driven this move from FCA and Ford by producing sedans that are outstanding in every way, and they keep getting better, year after year. Fortunately, most of these "imports" are now mainly manufactured in the U.S., and carry as much U.S. content as, say, a Malibu.

Does anyone besides me believe that SUV's (and "Crossovers") are "dumb"? They are bigger, heavier, and slower than sedans, offer questionable "utility," handle poorly, get worse gas mileage and have many more parts to break over time, when compared to sedans. And very, very few people actually need AWD (available in some sedans anyway) with the advent of better tires, FWD, and all-speed traction control.

How long will GM hold out? Does anybody care?

2. WinterBorn

WinterBorn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,419
    I like an SUV, if I can’t have my truck. First and foremost, I like sitting up high so I can see better. I like the extra room. They are easier to get in and out of. They typically have better towing capacity.

As for AWD, I think plenty of people need it occasionally. Not for off-reading, but for bad or questionable roads or road conditions.

And the gas mileage isn’t as bad as it once was. Yeah, I spend a little more on gas. But nothing earthshaking

3. Cellblock2429

Cellblock2429 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,020
    /----/ Self driving cars may well end the need for personally owned cars. I've been driving and maintaining cars since 1968 and the thought of pressing an app on my phone and a car appears to drive me wherever I want without the hassle and expense of ownership is a welcome idea. I have relatives 20 years older than me who drive and shouldn't be behind the wheel. It will be my time one day.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. TroglocratsRdumb

TroglocratsRdumb Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,767
    RWD cars can take a lot more abuse than FWD cars. Cop cars need to be able hop curbs and drive across unpaved areas. You can snap a CV joint in FWD cars if you abuse them. SUVs do have higher ground clearance than sedans. Many SUVs are FWD. The Tahoe is a RWD. The LS V8 is an excellent engine. The Crown Vics could be driven for many hundreds of thousands of miles of heavy abuse. I think that they had a LEO package available with the Crown Vics. They had plenty of backseat room for suspects. The SUVs can do all of the things that the Crown Vics did and they also have better ground clearance.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  5. flewism

flewism VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +249
    All 5 vehicle mentioned in the OP are not profitable, Ford will still have the Focus, but it will be imported from China. Ford will still have the Mustang, and the Lincoln Continental is going still be here as they are profitable lines. Ford will have 7 SUV crossover lines and Lincoln five. All will be available either FWD or RWD and a AWD version on all. Gas mileage will not be an issue as hybrids versions will be available on all Ford/Lincoln vehicles except the Super duty trucks by 2021. Plus there is 3 all electric Fords in the works that will replace the C-Max hybrid, a small car, and small van similar in size to the Transit Connect and a small SUV/crossover think Eco sport size.

6. Manonthestreet

Manonthestreet Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,082
    What happens during next energy crunch or economic downturn and all you have is gas guzzling 80 grand vehicles? To me it's foolish.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Erinwltr

Erinwltr VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Business cycle after business cycle, Americans fall for the same tired, car lineup strategies. I think I will hold on to my 4 banger manual and skip the over priced gas guzzlers.

8. flewism

flewism VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +249
    If you want to be green ,yes by all means keep your manual 4-banger, but the 2021 F150 hybrid will get more miles per gallon and tow 8500lbs doing it.
    That said just the manufacturing carbon footprint on any new vehicle make your manual 4-banger a greener vehicle.
    Adding the hybrid option to any vehicle will add about $6500 to the cost.

9. Cellblock2429

Cellblock2429 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,020
    /----/ Maybe the Police will switch to Uber for their patrol cars.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Erinwltr

Erinwltr VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Isn't that 2021 F150 going to be a turbo 4 cylinder diesel? Or is it a 6? I don't tow so I'll keep my beater. Thanks for the info.