American road trip

NoNukes

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2010
At the computer
My family and I are flying over from Ireland at the end of March for a three week road trip. We would like to hear from people about attractions that we should see, good eating places
(especially local places for breakfast), and interesting places to stay.

Our route is;

Nashville-Memphis-New Orleans-Louisiana-San Antonio-El Paso-Tombstone-Tucson-Grand Canyon-Utah-Yellowstone-Vegas-Yosemite-San Francisco-Los Angeles

We would appreciate any suggestions. Thank You.

They make a mean steak in New Orleans. Also, cajun catfish. And of course the crawfish. The only thing I miss about the Deep South is the cajun catfish.

The center of attraction in New Orleans is Bourbon Street in the evenings. During the day, you can take a dinner tour on a paddle wheel boat down the Mississippi river and back, and visit some antebellum plantations. You can buy the tickets for the boats at the end of Canal Street at the riverfront near the mall.

If you are going to party in New Orleans at night, the hot spots are the Cat's Meow and Pat O'Brien's pub.

I prefer Pat O'Briens. The Cat's Meow is for 20-somethings who can't handle their liquor.

And since you are from Ireland...Pat O'Briens. :lol:

Stick to the tourist ends of Bourbon Street and Canal Street. Do not venture off the beaten path. New Orleans is a very dangerous place. If you travel down Bourbon Street, with Canal Street at your back, and you eventually come to a big gay bar, you do not want to go any further than that. The gay bar is at the limit of the safe zone.

Blues bars are big on Bourbon Street. Most people think "jazz" when they think of The Big Easy and music. But the blues on Bourbon Street are where its really at. I've lost my ever loving mind listening to the blues on Bourbon Street drunk on...bourbon.

For breakfast, beignets at the Cafe Du Monde come highly recommended. Yum-yum-yummy! Fried dough with powdered sugar.

I hope you are not going to New Orleans during Mardi Gras. It is just a little too nuts then. Two weeks before Mardi Gras is just about right. But Bourbon Street is an impenetrable mob during Mardi Gras. Sure, the "show us your tits" ritual is fun, but it gets old fast. The parades on Canal Street are a sight to see, though.

Last edited:
all of above but be warned....new orleans is not for the faint of heart and you can be a in crowd of a thousand and find yourself suddenly alone in the warehouse district.....just stay where you can see cops .....

that is a lot to do...and a lot of driving...remember this is not like europe...we drive for hours....and gas prices are high

They make a mean steak in New Orleans. Also, cajun catfish. And of course the crawfish. The only thing I miss about the Deep South is the cajun catfish.

The center of attraction in New Orleans is Bourbon Street in the evenings. During the day, you can take a dinner tour on a paddle wheel boat down the Mississippi and visit some antebellum plantations. You can buy the tickets for the boats at the end of Canal Street at the riverfront near the mall.

If you are going to party in New Orleans at night, the hot spots are the Cat's Meow and Pat O'Brien's pub.

I prefer Pat O'Briens. The Cat's Meow is for 20-somethings who can't handle their liquor.

Stick to the tourist ends of Bourbon Street and Canal Street. Do not venture off the beaten path. New Orleans is a very dangerous place. If you travel down Bourbon Street, with Canal Street at your back, and you eventually come to a big gay bar, you do not want to go any further than that. The gay bar is at the limit of the safe zone.

Blues bars are big on Bourbon Street. Most people think "jazz" when they think of The Big Easy and music. But the blues on Bourbon Street are where its really at. I've lost my ever loving mind listening to the blues on Bourbon Street drunk on...bourbon.

For breakfast, beignets at the Cafe Du Monde come highly recommended. Yum-yum-yummy! Fried dough with powdered sugar.

I hope you are not going to New Orleans during Mardi Gras. It is just a little too nuts then. Two weeks before Mardi Gras is just about right. But Bourbon Street is an impenetrable mob during Mardi Gras. Sure, the "show us your tits" ritual is fun, but it gets old fast. The parades on Canal Street are a sight to see, though.

pay attention nonukes....this is All good advice.... i bolded one part so you pay attention.

Mt. Rushmore and Devil's Tower are cool.
And Wind Cave.

Lynchburg, TN is 1-1/2 hr. south of Nashville. You could tour the Jack Daniels distillery.

Last edited:

Nashville-Memphis-
Watch out for the state highway troopers.... they mean business and are mean as hell.
BBQ and Music stops.

New Orleans-Louisiana-
It was pretty well covered in the above posts.... do not stray from the tourist areas.
Crawfish and deep fried catfish are a must!

San Antonio-
The river walk

El Paso-
Not much going on here.... do not cross over into mexico no matter how appealing it may be to cross that bridge. The downtown area closes down about 3pm... so don't bother looking for anywhere to eat. When i am there i stay at the comino real... they have a great Tiffany ceiling and the museum is right next door.

Tombstone-Tucson-
Depending on when you are going.. its HOT!! Do your walking and walking tours in the morning and late evening. The have "the worlds largest rose bush"

Grand Canyon-Vegas-
The helicopter tours of the grand canyon are great! Food can go from 5 star to all you can eat. There are several places to get half price show tickets. Dont miss the free shows. The Bellagio water show at night and the Treasure island pirate show. The newest thing on the block is the city center. If you are into shopping, each hotel has its own mini mall and there are outlets at both ends of the strip.

Yosemite-
Make sure you have enough gas before you drive in.... they have closed the gas stations for renovation. You must have a permit to camp....so call ahead if that is what you want. The Ahwahnee Hotel is my favorite

LosAngles
Disneyland!!

Drive up the coast road from LA to SF... the coast is beautiful.

SF
the ferry building Saturday morning..

anything else?

The center of attraction in New Orleans is Bourbon Street in the evenings. During the day, you can take a dinner tour on a paddle wheel boat down the Mississippi river and back, and visit some antebellum plantations. You can buy the tickets for the boats at the end of Canal Street at the riverfront near the mall.

No, will be in New Orleans later than Mardi Gras. We have been there before, and are looking forward to returning. Thank you for your information.

The center of attraction in New Orleans is Bourbon Street in the evenings. During the day, you can take a dinner tour on a paddle wheel boat down the Mississippi and visit some antebellum plantations. You can buy the tickets for the boats at the end of Canal Street at the riverfront near the mall.

pay attention nonukes....this is All good advice.... i bolded one part so you pay attention.

Thanks

oooooooo louie armstrong park......dont go there....

i like the gay bars......air conditioned....cheap drinks....and the bartenders are normally eye candy even if they play for the other team

Nashville-Memphis-
Watch out for the state highway troopers.... they mean business and are mean as hell.
BBQ and Music stops.

New Orleans-Louisiana-
It was pretty well covered in the above posts.... do not stray from the tourist areas.

San Antonio-
The river walk

El Paso-
Not much going on here.... do not cross over into mexico no matter how appealing it may be to cross that bridge. The downtown area closes down about 3pm... so don't bother looking for anywhere to eat. When i am there i stay at the comino real... they have a great Tiffany ceiling and the museum is right next door.

Tombstone-Tucson-
Depending on when you are going.. its HOT!! Do your walking and walking tours in the morning and late evening. The have "the worlds largest rose bush"

Grand Canyon-Vegas-
The helicopter tours of the grand canyon are great! Food can go from 5 star to all you can eat. There are several places to get half price show tickets. Dont miss the free shows. The Bellagio water show at night and the Treasure island pirate show. The newest thing on the block is the city center. If you are into shopping, each hotel has its own mini mall and there are outlets at both ends of the strip.

Yosemite-
Make sure you have enough gas before you drive in.... they have closed the gas stations for renovation. You must have a permit to camp....so call ahead if that is what you want. The Ahwahnee Hotel is my favorite

LosAngles
Disneyland!!

SF

anything else?

Thank you. We have been on the coast road and we are looking forward to driving from SF to LA.

Nashville-Memphis-
BBQ and Music stops.

New Orleans-Louisiana-

San Antonio-
The river walk

El Paso-

Tombstone-Tucson-

Grand Canyon-Vegas-

Yosemite-

LosAngles
Disneyland!!

SF

anything else?

Thank you. We have been on the coast road and we are looking forward to driving from SF to LA.

Hearst castle is fun to see.
The madona inn is fun... just pick the room you want!
Contact the Madonna Inn
and the tickle pink is one of my favs.
Carmel California Inns | Tickle Pink Inn | Big Sur Hotels

Anderson pea soup along the coast always good eats
Breakfast at the Tuck house in Carmel by the Sea ... very cute place.
Deep fired artichokes in castrovill.. a must!

My family and I are flying over from Ireland at the end of March for a three week road trip. We would like to hear from people about attractions that we should see, good eating places

Our route is;

Nashville-Memphis-New Orleans-Louisiana-San Antonio-El Paso-Tombstone-Tucson-Grand Canyon-Utah-Yellowstone-Vegas-Yosemite-San Francisco-Los Angeles

Well, how fun. When you get to El Paso,TX, touch bases here and say hello over here in Las Cruces, NM--30 miles away is all. Great cafes, restaurants, Spanish cuisine, salsa bars, museums, lots to do and see. We here will host for you. Let us know when the time gets closer, through the board here in private messages.

How fun and your trip sounds great.

Robert

Nashville-Memphis-
BBQ and Music stops.

New Orleans-Louisiana-

San Antonio-
The river walk

El Paso-

Tombstone-Tucson-

Grand Canyon-Vegas-

Yosemite-

LosAngles
Disneyland!!

SF

anything else?

Hearst castle is fun to see.
The madona inn is fun... just pick the room you want!
Contact the Madonna Inn
and the tickle pink is one of my favs.
Carmel California Inns | Tickle Pink Inn | Big Sur Hotels

Anderson pea soup along the coast always good eats
Breakfast at the Tuck house in Carmel by the Sea ... very cute place.
Deep fired artichokes in castrovill.. a must!

Thanks.

Our route is;

Well, how fun. When you get to El Paso,TX, touch bases here and say hello over here in Las Cruces, NM--30 miles away is all. Great cafes, restaurants, Spanish cuisine, salsa bars, museums, lots to do and see. We here will host for you. Let us know when the time gets closer, through the board here in private messages.

How fun and your trip sounds great.

Robert

Thank you so much. My wife mentioned Las Cruces, so we may take you up on it.

Forum List

Back