American Restoration:

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
For those who have never watched this show, it's about a fellow in the Las Vegas area who specializes in restoring time-worn, rusted, beat-up things, like slot machines, old-time Coca-Cola ice chests, vending machines, penny scales, etc. I believe the reason I like it is the things he restores, and he does an amazing job of it, evoke nostalgia for old farts like me.

He has a shop with a yard and a couple of talented mechanics and I truly admire the work this man does. It truly is an art form -- and a little magical at times.

He does do great work, but I wonder if he's not ruining the value of some pieces.
Makes me think of Antiques Roadshow- they're always saying "well if you didn't do this or that, it would be a lot more valuable".

He does do great work, but I wonder if he's not ruining the value of some pieces.
Makes me think of Antiques Roadshow- they're always saying "well if you didn't do this or that, it would be a lot more valuable".
I understand the point you're making as it occurs from the perspective of true antiquities. But while the condition of a true antique must remain untouched the only definition of a true antique is there are no other, or extremely few, available examples.

In the example of the old machines this fellow restores, they are still plentiful. If an antique value were established for one of them, hundreds (thousands?) more would suddenly be extricatated from garages, barns and cellars all over America and would thus cancel the value.

It is an interesting trick of the mind for me that the sight of a beautifully restored like brand-new Coca Cola cooler box can bring up clear memories of a time when gas cost .35 a gallon and all that went with it. A dirty old rusty one couldn't do that.

Forum List

Back