American Pharmaceutical Companies, criminal enterprises

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
I just had an experiance that demonstrates what the American Pharmaceutical Companies are getting away with. My wife's cat has a cancer that we have been successfully treating with the drug Leukeran for about a year. We had been paying about 180 dollars for 15 pills. Went in this month to refill the prescription and the price was over $400!

So we started looking online. The cheapest we could get it using discounts or coupons was about $310. Found a place in California that would sell 15 pills for $260. Made the order, as we are nearly out of the pills. Then continued to look further. And found that I can order them from a pharmacy in Canada for $84 per 25 pills. Versus $260 for 15 here in the states.

I think we need to see a few more of these CEO's being led off in cuffs.

This particular drug is also very successful in humans, so we are not just talking about peoples pets, we are talking about people. Some have to take a pill a day, and better than $17 a pill, there are many people that just cannot afford it.

I just had an experiance that demonstrates what the American Pharmaceutical Companies are getting away with. My wife's cat has a cancer that we have been successfully treating with the drug Leukeran for about a year. We had been paying about 180 dollars for 15 pills. Went in this month to refill the prescription and the price was over $400!

So we started looking online. The cheapest we could get it using discounts or coupons was about $310. Found a place in California that would sell 15 pills for $260. Made the order, as we are nearly out of the pills. Then continued to look further. And found that I can order them from a pharmacy in Canada for $84 per 25 pills. Versus $260 for 15 here in the states.

It's true, foreign countries are ripping off our companies.

No, U.S.-based pharma companies have outsourced their manufacturing to, mainly, India and China. These are branded drugs, made on the cheap, then priced at whatever the market will bear. If a branded drug costs two cents per pill to make, it may sell for $1.00 a pill in Canada or the EU, and $5.00 per pill in the U.S...because it can.

So: U.S. name-brand drug, manufactured overseas, shipped in bulk back to the States and sold to Americans for the highest price on the planet.

At least that was the norm before Shkreli et al. said "Hey, cool, let's see how high we can jack this before someone notices!"

You want to lower healthcare costs, pharma would be a good place to start. Too bad they own so many in Congress.

No, U.S.-based pharma companies have outsourced their manufacturing to, mainly, India and China. These are branded drugs, made on the cheap, then priced at whatever the market will bear. If a branded drug costs two cents per pill to make, it may sell for $1.00 a pill in Canada or the EU, and $5.00 per pill in the U.S...because it can.

So: U.S. name-brand drug, manufactured overseas, shipped in bulk back to the States and sold to Americans for the highest price on the planet.

At least that was the norm before Shkreli et al. said "Hey, cool, let's see how high we can jack this before someone notices!"

You want to lower healthcare costs, pharma would be a good place to start. Too bad they own so many in Congress.

No, U.S.-based pharma companies have outsourced their manufacturing to, mainly, India and China. These are branded drugs, made on the cheap, then priced at whatever the market will bear.

If Canada wants to pay $1 a pill, the drug company basically has no choice. If they refuse, Canada lets a generic manufacturer make it, even if the patent is still in force. Based on this threat of force, US created drugs are cheaper in other countries.

You want to lower healthcare costs, pharma would be a good place to start.

Yes, if you want to end new drug development, that would be a good place to start.

Yes, if you want to end new drug development, that would be a good place to start.

That's the excuse U.S. pharma companies always make, but it might be interesting to compare their R&D budget with their Pay off Your Congressman budget.

Streamlining some of the FDA Mickey Mouse regulations wouldn't hurt, either.

That's the excuse U.S. pharma companies always make, but it might be interesting to compare their R&D budget with their Pay off Your Congressman budget.

Streamlining some of the FDA Mickey Mouse regulations wouldn't hurt, either.

Be sure to post any actual numbers you find.

Streamlining some of the FDA Mickey Mouse regulations wouldn't hurt, either

First thing you've said that makes sense.

Be sure to post any actual numbers you find.

Pick a major U.S. pharma company (not the U.S. branch of an overseas company, for example) and either of us can check their corporate site for R&D outlays. The lobbyists' budgets would be a tad bit harder to come by.

Forum List

Back