American Mechanics who Fix German Cars...

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
...would be snickering in their beer if they heard about this latest German military development...
Germany’s Puma panzer hangs in the balance after report of mass outage

It is a trait that brings a ton of aggravation to owners of older German cars and a ton of money to mechanics who work on them: The Germans' love of over-engineering everything. Time and time again, components of passenger cars that have worked fine for decades using gears, levers and cables are replaced by electronic brains, computers, motors, and switches. Nothing is improved, but a simple, reliable component is made much more complex, "elegant" in design, and ultimately unreliable.

What would happen if the German Engineers were free to design from scratch, like something designed for military application at public expense? See linked article. It's funny.

My VW is an outlier. :)

I actually don't mind working on it, because while it has been rock solid dependable for 9 years, when I do work on it, I"m always impressed by the engineering. I will have to remove the grill and bumper cover to change a headlamp sometime soon, but that's not that bad.