American Manufacturing Recovering?

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
Manufacturing must be on the rise. I must be going to open up a factory too. The other day when I went to the doctor for a check up after the heart attack, he said it was ok for me to start making whoopie. Now, all I have to do is find the raw materials and hire some folks to start production.

Manufacturing must be on the rise. I must be going to open up a factory too. The other day when I went to the doctor for a check up after the heart attack, he said it was ok for me to start making whoopie. Now, all I have to do is find the raw materials and hire some folks to start production.

Raw materials????

sounds painful.

Manufacturing always recovers in August. Because it is down in July because that is the mandatory vacation and maintenance shutdown month.

The Plain Dealer keeps reporting good news about manufacturing, and it is obviously not cars. In light of all the gloom and doom about the economy generally, why would manufacturing be recovering?

Thankies for any discussion.

Manufacturing rebounding in Cleveland area, but business leaders unsure how long it will last | cleveland.com

Manufacturing sector grew faster in August | cleveland.com

Economy strengthens behind building, manufacturing | cleveland.com

Hold on there!

However, a measure of new orders, which are a gauge of future business, dipped to the lowest level since June 2009 after surging earlier this year. Economists said that suggests growth in the manufacturing sector will slow in coming months. Excerpt from:Manufacturing sector grew faster in August | cleveland.com

An increase in orders can be expected to replenish supplies and products consumed during the recession but it appears that this is not a sign of growth just a replenishment. Consumers are buying some products to replace old failing products but it looks like people are not going on a spending spree. It will be interesting to see what the Christmas orders will look like. Companies are starting to look at that part of the year and determine consumer demand but if the economy is sstill tanking...

Last edited:
manufacturing slowed down a LOT in late 2008 and 2009. Businesses reduced inventories like mad and eventually last winter our manufacturing base had bottomed and began a recovery.

manufacturing then led the positive signs that a broader recovery might ensue in the spring. This report follows a small downturn in manufacturing indices in june and July.

Consumer spending and confidence also perked in August. Along with at least one housing indicator (pending new home sales).

The individual monthly reports don't mean all that much. The trend lines are what matter.

DGORDER_Max_630_378.png

The Plain Dealer keeps reporting good news about manufacturing, and it is obviously not cars. In light of all the gloom and doom about the economy generally, why would manufacturing be recovering?

Thankies for any discussion.

I hope it is. I, for one, always try to find stuff manufactured in the US, and am willing to pay more for it, if I can afford to. I've been seeing a few more things made in the US, mostly things like hand-tools and similar items (not clothing, unfortunately). Our manufacturing goods is essential to our economic stability (imo), but competing with countries like China is very difficult. Basically, since we are in a global market nowadays, we, as Americans, will be forced to be more wage-competitive, as workers.

Forum List

Back