American Made

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Navy1960, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Here are some thoughts to ponder everyone when thinking about that next glowing and inspirational speech.

President Obama walks out of the White House doors in the west wing, parked in front of the White House is his black 2011 Cadillac Hybrid Limo with it's Toyota Based Hybrid engine built in Japan. His press secretary takes him to his awaiting Italian made VH-71 presidential helicopter where he is wisked off to Andrews Air Force Base to attend a summit of the G-8. He walks aboard Air Force One and is handed a towel to wipe the rain from his brow with the presidential seal that say's West Point Stevens made in Pakistan, and walks to his office on Air Force One. While aboard and several hours after take-off and somewhere over the Atlantic the pilot annouces a mid-air refuel with an awaiting French built US Air Force KC-45. Once this is accomplished the President is reminded about his impending speech before the G-8. So the president takes his Chinese made Lenovo laptop out of his bag and whispers to his press secretary and whispers remind me again what the theme is? The press secretary then responds with , how American Manufacturing is the best in the world.!!

The point behind my little story here, is to point out that if the US government does not have the faith to purcahse American made products for it's own use , how then can the same people faithfully ask you to do the same?

2. GigiBowman

GigiBowman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I would like to vote for you Navy1960...ever consider running for some kind of office? We need Congressmen like you!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    laughs Gigi, I have never even given it one thought. I felt like 24 years in the Navy was enough. My congressional debates these days are limited to trade deals with my daughter. lol Good grades and a degree , for perks.

4. GigiBowman

GigiBowman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    You know, I bet you would actually read the bills if you became a Congressman! lol

5. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    It seems to me that as a congressmen your first obligation is to the people that elect you to the office. It is a simple concept that many tend to forget and to not take the time to actually read legislation that is presented and be told how and when to vote, is to betray the very people that sent you there to do their business. You would be shocked at some of the legislation I deal with in the Aviation business I am in now, and the absolute craziness involved. No doubt you have heard of the Stealth made famous during the gulf war? F-117, well it's projected lifespan was to last beyond the year 2018, however because someone didn't get enough F-22's in the last DOD budget the Air Force retired them all, and they are now all in storage down in Tucson a full 10 years before their useful life is done. Keep in mind these are the same people that tell you and I that the budget deficit is too large and are giving away 700 billion dollars of your's and my money.

6. Turboswede

Turboswede Very Metal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I can relate NAVY, it weird that the US government purchases so many products abroad typically in exchange for an agreement that final assembly (not manufacturing) be completed in the U.S. I remember when they were introducing the Beretta M9 to replace the M1911 and my dad just shaking his head at the beginning of the end, he still has his M1911 and even though the M9 is a fine weapon, the principal of issuing an Italian firearm for general service seemed just plain wrong.

Another pet peeve of mine is the American Flags plastered all over Korean and Japans cars, what’s the deal?

The ultimate has to be a picture I took of a “Pearl Harbor Survivor” license plate…on a Mitsubishi Diamante, ironic.

7. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189

I will go you one better than that, the very flag that fly's over the US Capitol is made in China. IMHO, there has to be a staring point where the very government we pay taxes too should be held to a standard, and we as citizens who don't hold them to those standards, how then can we expect them to do it themselves. It get's even worse than that Turbo, when you talk about DoD purchasing, it has become so ingrained now. Take a look at the XM-8

The XM8 is a developmental U.S. military designation and project name for a lightweight assault rifle system that was under development by the United States Army from the late 1990s to early 2000s. The Army worked with the small arms manufacturer Heckler & Koch (H&K) to develop the system to its requirements in the aftermath of the OICW contract, for which H&K had been a subcontractor to ATK. Although there were high hopes that the XM8 would become the Army's new standard infantry rifle, the project was put on hold in April of 2005, and was formally cancelled on October 31, 2005.

General Dynamics was involved in latter stages and H&K had plans to produce the rifle at a plant in Georgia. H&K was British owned at the start of the project, but was later bought back by a group of German investors. Engineering work was done at facilities in the United States and Germany.

Even though it was cancelled, this type of contract has been the model for the DoD lately, where a contractor will souce a foreign builder with a promise to build in the US

8. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    wasnt it mccain who said trade restrictions and buying american were sillie...look to your own side for the same examples....mccain voted to send textiles aboard...hardly popular in nc.

9. ignatov

ignatov My sons are Marines!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16
    What is this "American made product" you speak of? I'm pretty sure we don't produce anything but evangelicals, Egg McMuffins and ennui.

10. doeton

doeton Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +65
    you guys realize that the era of manufacturing as a base for our economy is over don't you?

it's time to move on.