American Made (2017 Tom Cruise film)

As an 80s kid, I grew up watching a lot of Tom Cruise movies. However, the truth is that I lost interest in most Tom Cruise movies as I got older. He seemed to get into this rut of playing the same characters over and over again, and these characters usually aren't very fleshed out. He would occasionally remind me that he can actually act in movies like Collateral, Tropic Thunder, Born on the 4th of July, etc.

But every time he made a movie like a Mission Impossible movie, The Mummy, or Edge of Tomorrow, it just seemed like he was phoning it in.

American Made should put Cruise back on the map as a serious actor. He was awesome in this movie. Although he looked and talked like Tom Cruise, he seemed to disappear into this real life character of Barry Seal. For the first time in a long time, Cruise plays a very morally gray character.

Although I'm somewhat familiar with Pablo Escobar (thanks to the Narcos show), the Sandinistas, etc., I really didn't know much about this character, Barry Seal. If you don't know his life story, don't research it before watching this movie. This is the best acting I've seen Tom Cruise perform in a very long time. The first 30 minutes seemed like they were playing it safe, but the movie quickly escalates and gets really intense after about the 1 hour mark. The last 30-40 minutes were great.

9.3/10

So far, Cruise has been lucky enough to keep his youthful good looks. As he gets even older, I really hope he transitions away from playing action heroes and becomes a character actor who plays these types of roles. When he does, he is great.

This is not a documentary-style realistic portrayal the way Narcos is. The tone of the movie is very similar to what the trailer shows. There are a few times that get really tense, but, for the most part, it didn't feel like there were real stakes. But there were some really funny moments and also some pretty decent serious/drama moments. It's a bit of a dark comedy that doesn't ever get too dark.

Remake of Air America, (1990, Robert Downey Jr)

Won't even bother to watch it when it hits TV

Naw

I watched about 30 minutes of it and unless my memory is just shit, it was nothing like that.

I'd give it about, what, a 70-30 chance your memory is right? ;)

Lol

Tonight? 10-90

Now what? Bring it!

In my defense, I have no idea what your current level of alcohol consumption is. :lol:

20171001_205938.jpg

Just watched it...I'd pass. And I like Tom Cruise as an actor. Mission Impossible Rogue Nation is in my top 50 action films.

Nothing wrong with Cruise's acting in this movie...and it has a great sound track...but Meh. Not much of a plot, not much tension, not much character development... and not much action.

Air America was far superior.

I only paid one dollar to see this movie from the RedBox...and that was too much.

Last edited:

As an 80s kid, I grew up watching a lot of Tom Cruise movies. However, the truth is that I lost interest in most Tom Cruise movies as I got older. He seemed to get into this rut of playing the same characters over and over again, and these characters usually aren't very fleshed out. He would occasionally remind me that he can actually act in movies like Collateral, Tropic Thunder, Born on the 4th of July, etc.

But every time he made a movie like a Mission Impossible movie, The Mummy, or Edge of Tomorrow, it just seemed like he was phoning it in.

American Made should put Cruise back on the map as a serious actor. He was awesome in this movie. Although he looked and talked like Tom Cruise, he seemed to disappear into this real life character of Barry Seal. For the first time in a long time, Cruise plays a very morally gray character.

Although I'm somewhat familiar with Pablo Escobar (thanks to the Narcos show), the Sandinistas, etc., I really didn't know much about this character, Barry Seal. If you don't know his life story, don't research it before watching this movie. This is the best acting I've seen Tom Cruise perform in a very long time. The first 30 minutes seemed like they were playing it safe, but the movie quickly escalates and gets really intense after about the 1 hour mark. The last 30-40 minutes were great.

9.3/10

So far, Cruise has been lucky enough to keep his youthful good looks. As he gets even older, I really hope he transitions away from playing action heroes and becomes a character actor who plays these types of roles. When he does, he is great.

This is not a documentary-style realistic portrayal the way Narcos is. The tone of the movie is very similar to what the trailer shows. There are a few times that get really tense, but, for the most part, it didn't feel like there were real stakes. But there were some really funny moments and also some pretty decent serious/drama moments. It's a bit of a dark comedy that doesn't ever get too dark.

Edge of Tomorrow was an excellent sci-fi action movie. I enjoyed it much more than Collateral, which I thought was just average.

I'm interested in American Made, the trailers look good, but I'll wait for it to come to DVD or Amazon/Netflix probably.

Agree, Edge of Tomorrow couldn't be much better. It's a movie I have enjoyed watching over and over again.

Remake of Air America, (1990, Robert Downey Jr)

Won't even bother to watch it when it hits TV
Naw

I watched about 30 minutes of it and unless my memory is just shit, it was nothing like that.

I'd give it about, what, a 70-30 chance your memory is right? ;)
Lol

Tonight? 10-90

Now what? Bring it!

In my defense, I have no idea what your current level of alcohol consumption is. :lol:
View attachment 152326
Tonight was dinner & a movie!

20180308_201218.jpg

Forum List

Back