American Legion Joins VFW in Call for Congressional Investigation of Israel's Attack on USS Liberty

I find it ironic that your username is Pilot1, What do you fly? A Cessna 150 or Piper Cub?

The Liberty was an Intelligence gathering ship not an offensive ship that cold do physical damage like an aircraft carrier, cruiser, destroyer or even a PT Boat. It was NO IMMEDIATE THREAT, or any type of physical THREAT to Israeli forces. They had all the time in the world to call up whomever, and ask. What do these ships make at standard speed? 15 - 20 knots? The Mirage III has a max speed of Mach 1.8 - 2.2 depending on variant. I just plainly disagree with you on this one.

I own and fly a Grumman AA5B "Tiger".

What the fuck does the speed of the aircraft have to do with it, other than flying low and slow to visually identify a ship is extremely difficult?

The ability to collect information and pass it back to the commanders was the Liberty's mission, correct? If it had been an Egyptian ship, it would have been a major threat. That is why it was attacked. It is called a target of opportunity.

I disagree with you because you have no concept of warfare.

You do realize we had another spy ship incident prior to this. Surely you have heard of the USS Pueblo.

I see by your aircraft, you are another pilot with delusions of grandeur.

I find it ironic that your username is Pilot1, What do you fly? A Cessna 150 or Piper Cub?

The Liberty was an Intelligence gathering ship not an offensive ship that cold do physical damage like an aircraft carrier, cruiser, destroyer or even a PT Boat. It was NO IMMEDIATE THREAT, or any type of physical THREAT to Israeli forces. They had all the time in the world to call up whomever, and ask. What do these ships make at standard speed? 15 - 20 knots? The Mirage III has a max speed of Mach 1.8 - 2.2 depending on variant. I just plainly disagree with you on this one.

What the fuck does the speed of the aircraft have to do with it, other than flying low and slow to visually identify a ship is extremely difficult?

The ability to collect information and pass it back to the commanders was the Liberty's mission, correct? If it had been an Egyptian ship, it would have been a major threat. That is why it was attacked. It is called a target of opportunity.

You do realize we had another spy ship incident prior to this. Surely you have heard of the USS Pueblo.

'
How did the attacking jets know to jam the American emergency frequencies if they didn't know the ship was American?

[QUOT

Yes, I remember the Pueblo. It is still in North Korea. My point is that the aircraft could Intercept, and RE-ENGAGE the slow moving ship ANYTIME IT WANTED. At the SPEED in which they fly, they could be back on top of the ships in no time. What the hell would be wrong with getting Positive ID? You obviously don't know much about warfare, because MOST ROE including OURS often demand visual CONFIRMATION of FREIND OR FOE.

Missed that class, huh? If Israel wasn't WRONG, then why did they apologize? You are CLUELESS.

What particular Egyptian ship are you referring to.

AFIK, Egypt didn't have any ships that looked anything like the USS Liberty.

Last edited:

'
How did the attacking jets know to jam the American emergency frequencies if they didn't know the ship was American?

Wow! There is so much ignorance packed into that one question.

I guess you never heard of broad spectrum jamming or anything else about electronic countermeasures. You are out of your league here man!

Last edited:
[QUOT

Yes, I remember the Pueblo. It is still in North Korea. My point is that the aircraft could Intercept, and RE-ENGAGE the slow moving ship ANYTIME IT WANTED. At the SPEED in which they fly, they could be back on top of the ships in no time. What the hell would be wrong with getting Positive ID? You obviously don't know much about warfare, because MOST ROE including OURS often demand visual CONFIRMATION of FREIND OR FOE.

Missed that class, huh? If Israel wasn't WRONG, then why did they apologize? You are CLUELESS.

Your little puddle jumper flies at what speed? In order to see a flag the aircraft would have be flying near stall.

OMG, the stupid is really strong with you! You don't know Jack Schitt about ROE, dumbass!

'

I guess you never heard of broad spectrum jamming or anything else about electronic countermeasures. You are out of your league here man!

LOL no "broad spectrum jamming," Israeli shill. Five US channels were jammed but they were able to get off a help call to the Sixth Fleet on the sixth, which the attack planes missed. That's how the USS Saratoga was able to launch F-4s. How's the weather in Tel Aviv?

American Legion Joins VFW in Calling for Congressional Investigation of Israel's Attack on USS Liberty.

American Legion Joins VFW in Calling for Congressional Investigation of Israel's Attack on USS Liberty
The Liberty Incident: Documents
[.....]
Investigations (US):

CIA Position

CIA Reports 1967

US Navy Court of Inquiry (1967)

Endorsements
JAG Summary of Events
Findings of Fact
Hanley Letter
Injured Personnel
Photographs taken during and after the attack
Joint Chiefs of Staff Report (Russ Report; 1967)

Clark Clifford Report (1967)

Senate Foreign Relations Committee Investigation (1967)

House Armed Services Committee Investigation (1971)

House Armed Services Committee Investigation (1991-2)

National Security Agency, Report to the Director (1967)

National Security Agency, Alger, Julie, "A Review of the Technical Research Program 1961-1969"

National Security Agency Report (1981)

National Security Agency Release of 2 July 2003

National Security Agency Release of 6 June 2007
NSA Hebrew Linguist #1
NSA Hebrew Linguist #2
NSA Hebrew Linguist #3​

[.....]​
`

U.S. Navy Court of Inquiry
to inquire into the circumstances surrounding
the armed attack on the USS Liberty (AGTR-5) on 8 June 1967

[......]

FINDINGS OF FACT (1-8 of 52)

1. Available evidence combines to indicate the attack on LIBERTY on
8 June was in fact a case of Mistaken identity.

2. The Calm conditions and Slow ship speed may well have made the
American Flag difficult to identify.

3. The ship's westerly heading at the time of attack - in the general
direction of Egyptian ports may have reinforced elements of
doubt in the minds of the several Israeli pilots
who looked the
ship over in the forenoon.

4. The colors were shot down Early in the action and were replaced
prior to the PT attack.

5. The immediate confusion milling around astern followed by
peaceful overtures by the attacking surface forces after launching
only two torpedoes of the six presumed available (two
on each PT boat), indicate these craft may well have identified
the colors for the First time when they got in close enough to see clearly
through the smoke and flames billowing
, at times above the mast head.

6. There are NO available indications that the attack was Intended
against a U. S. Ship

7. LIBERTY'S position at the time of the attack has been previously
ordered Changed farther to seaward by JCS
; however, the messages
relating to these changes were Not known to the ship before the attack took place.
The reasons these messages were not known to the ship can be determined
in all instances except for one. Since LIBERTY records and knowledgeable personnel
were lost in the action, it is Impossible to determine the disposition of the message.

8. The communication delays and mis-routing ERRORS which caused these several
non-deliveries combined with delays in initiating follow-up actions on operational
instructions received, all contributed to the Ship Itself being Unaware of plans and
decisions made for her Repositioning.
A detailed accounting of the five pertinent
messages are attached as appendices one through five.
[.......]
and 44 More.
[.......]

[signatures]

Isaac C Kidd
Rear Admiral , U.S. Navy
President

Bernard J Lauff
Captain, U.S. Navy

Bert S Atkinson , Jr.
Captain, U.S. Navy

Ward Boston, Jr.
Captain, U.S. Navy
Counsel for the Court​
`

Last edited:
We have the Coherent testimony of the Captain to settle any "I thoughts" of crew confusion/poor recollection/Subsequent Influence of the Liberty Lobby. Also again, the Captain himself Conceding the initial Israeli air attack might well have been in ERROR, and wanting to Read (and respond to) the SIGNAL from the Torpedo boats before Firing on them, which would/Did provoke an attack by them.
Alas, the Captain Failed to hold fire and Failed to make a coherent response to that Signal. BTW, who, on a mission to sink a ship they Ostensibly already knew the identity of, Signals First?
Again, for All to see: (and the price of inadequate response)

CAMERA: The History Channel’s Bogus “History”
(my highlighting)

[CAPTAIN] MCGONAGLE:

[......]
"..I did not have an accurate ship's position at this time, but I knew that to the left of the ship's course at that time lie shoal waters and by turning to the left I would be approaching land closer than had been given me in directives which I held in that instant in time. I realized that if I attempted to turn to starboard, I would expose a larger target to the torpedo boats. I elected to maintain a heading of 283 at maximum speed. When the boats reached an approximate range of 2,000 yards, the center boat of the formation was Signalling to us.

Also, at this range, it appeared that they were flying an Israli (sic) flag. This was later verified. It was not possible to read the signals from the center torpedo boat because of the intermittent blocking of view by smoke and flames.
At this time, I yelled to machine gun 51 to tell him to Hold Fire.
I realized that there was a Possibility of the aircraft having been Israeli and the attack had been Conducted in Error.
I wanted to Hold Fire to see if we could read the Signal from the torpedo boat and perhaps avoid additional damage and personnel injuries

The man on machine gun 51 fired a short burst at the boats Before he was able to understand what I was attempting to have him do. Instantly, on machine gun 51 opening fire machine gun 53 began firing at the center boat.
From the starboard wing of the bridge, 03 level,
I observed that the fire from machine gun 53 was extremely Effective and Blanketed the area and the center torpedo boat.
It was not possible to get to mount 53 from the starboard wing of the bridge. I sent Mr. LUCAS around the port-side of the bridge, around to the skylights, to see if he could tell QUINTERO, whom I believed to be the gunner on machine gun 53, to hold fire until we were able to clarify the situation. He reported back in a few minutes in effect that he saw no one at mount 53.
As far as the torpedo boats were concerned, I am sure that they felt They were under fire from the USS LIBERTY. At THIS time They opened fire with their gun mounts and in a matter of seconds one torpedo was noted crossing astern of the ship at about 25 yards."​

Love that Captain!
McGonagle's statement Alone is enough to Destroy the Liberty CT and his testimony quite consistent with that of the Israel in their claim of trying to signal/Identify the ship.
Alas, LIBERTY Fired on the PT boats before the Israeli-initiated communication was reciprocated.
Ask the Captain.
\\
Take Low IQ Care Stormfront juniors.
`

Last edited:

'

LOL no "broad spectrum jamming," Israeli shill. Five US channels were jammed but they were able to get off a help call to the Sixth Fleet on the sixth, which the attack planes missed. That's how the USS Saratoga was able to launch F-4s. How's the weather in Tel Aviv?

You know even less about what you are quoting than the other lunkhead. No one ever said it was 100% foolproof. Besides, no one knows what frequencies we use for communication. To assume they do is just idiotic. Why don't you stay in your areas of expertise and go play with yourselves.

We have the Coherent testimony of the Captain to settle any "I thoughts" of crew confusion/poor recollection/Subsequent Influence of the Liberty Lobby. Also again, the Captain himself Conceding the initial Israeli air attack might well have been in ERROR, and wanting to Read (and respond to) the SIGNAL from the Torpedo boats before Firing on them, which would/Did provoke an attack by them.
Alas, the Captain Failed to hold fire and Failed to make a coherent response to that Signal. BTW, who, on a mission to sink a ship they Ostensibly already knew the identity of, Signals First?

(my highlighting)

[CAPTAIN] MCGONAGLE:

[......]
"..I did not have an accurate ship's position at this time, but I knew that to the left of the ship's course at that time lie shoal waters and by turning to the left I would be approaching land closer than had been given me in directives which I held in that instant in time. I realized that if I attempted to turn to starboard, I would expose a larger target to the torpedo boats. I elected to maintain a heading of 283 at maximum speed. When the boats reached an approximate range of 2,000 yards, the center boat of the formation was Signalling to us.

Also, at this range, it appeared that they were flying an Israli (sic) flag. This was later verified. It was not possible to read the signals from the center torpedo boat because of the intermittent blocking of view by smoke and flames.
I realized that there was a Possibility of the aircraft having been Israeli and the attack had been Conducted in Error.
I wanted to Hold Fire to see if we could read the Signal from the torpedo boat and perhaps avoid additional damage and personnel injuries

The man on machine gun 51 fired a short burst at the boats Before he was able to understand what I was attempting to have him do. Instantly, on machine gun 51 opening fire machine gun 53 began firing at the center boat.
I observed that the fire from machine gun 53 was extremely Effective and Blanketed the area and the center torpedo boat.
It was not possible to get to mount 53 from the starboard wing of the bridge. I sent Mr. LUCAS around the port-side of the bridge, around to the skylights, to see if he could tell QUINTERO, whom I believed to be the gunner on machine gun 53, to hold fire until we were able to clarify the situation. He reported back in a few minutes in effect that he saw no one at mount 53.
As far as the torpedo boats were concerned, I am sure that they felt They were under fire from the USS LIBERTY. At THIS time They opened fire with their gun mounts and in a matter of seconds one torpedo was noted crossing astern of the ship at about 25 yards."​

Love that Captain!
McGonagle's statement Alone is enough to Destroy the Liberty CT and his testimony quite consistent with that of the Israel in their claim of trying to signal/Identify the ship.
Alas, LIBERTY Fired on the PT boats before the Israeli-initiated communication was reciprocated.
Ask the Captain.
\\
`

Sorry, you won't find any comfort from Captain McGonagle. His position on the Liberty was crystal clear.

"In many years, I have wanted to believe that the attack on the Liberty was pure error. It appears to me that it was not a pure case of mistaken identity. . . . I think it is about time that the State of Israel and the United States government provide the crew members of the Liberty, and the rest of the American people, the facts of what happened and why it came about that the Liberty was attacked 30 years ago today." Later, McGonagle remarked, "USS Liberty is the only US Navy ship attacked by a foreign nation, involving large loss of life...that has never been accorded a full Congressional hearing."

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
CHARTERED BY THE CONGRESS

FROM THE DESK OF:
CAPTAIN WILLIAM L. McGONAGLE, USN (RET.)
MEMBER, CMOH SOCIETY
October 24, 1998

AN OPEN LETTER TO PRESIDENT CLINTON

Re: Jonathan POLLARD

1. Please DO NOT release Jonathan POLLARD, a convicted traitor of the United States, to the Government of Israel, as part of the Middle East peace process, or for any other reason.

2. Please DO NOT release Jonathan POLLARD to the Government of Israel where he could continue to cause irreparable security harm to the United States of America.

3. Please DO NOT release Jonathan POLLARD to the Government of Israel until and unless the Government of Israel acknowledges, in writing and publicly, that the Government of Israel's armed forces (air and naval) deliberately attacked USS LIBERTY (AGTR-5) (A Technical Research Ship) on June 8, 1967.
McGonagle Letter to Clinton

LOL Israelis are the only people in the world who think if you fire on people it's not fair if they fire back. By the time the torpedo boats arrived the Liberty had already been strafed, rocketed, and napalmed for an hour. The only shame is they didn't kill any Israelis when they opened up.

Last edited:

(my highlighting)

[CAPTAIN] MCGONAGLE:

[......]

Love that Captain!
Ask the Captain.
\\
`

Sorry, you won't find any comfort from Captain McGonagle. His position on the Liberty was crystal clear.

"In many years, I have wanted to believe that the attack on the Liberty was pure error. It appears to me that it was not a pure case of mistaken identity. . . . I think it is about time that the State of Israel and the United States government provide the crew members of the Liberty, and the rest of the American people, the facts of what happened and why it came about that the Liberty was attacked 30 years ago today." Later, McGonagle remarked, "USS Liberty is the only US Navy ship attacked by a foreign nation, involving large loss of life...that has never been accorded a full Congressional hearing."

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

FROM THE DESK OF:
MEMBER, CMOH SOCIETY
October 24, 1998

1. Please DO NOT release Jonathan POLLARD, a convicted traitor of the United States, to the Government of Israel, as part of the Middle East peace process, or for any other reason.

2. Please DO NOT release Jonathan POLLARD to the Government of Israel where he could continue to cause irreparable security harm to the United States of America.

3. Please DO NOT release Jonathan POLLARD to the Government of Israel until and unless the Government of Israel acknowledges, in writing and publicly, that the Government of Israel's armed forces (air and naval) deliberately attacked USS LIBERTY (AGTR-5) (A Technical Research Ship) on June 8, 1967.

LOL Israelis are the only people in the world who think if you fire on people it's not fair if they fire back. By the time the torpedo boats arrived the Liberty had already been strafed, rocketed, and napalmed for an hour. The only shame is they didn't kill any Israelis when they opened up.

Did the commander and crews of the PT boats know who attacked the USS Liberty? What were there orders?

If they were there to assist and the ship they were supposed to assist fired on them without being fired upon, they had every right to retaliate.

Why are you such a dumbass? Don't you ever think things through?

My money is on the fact that you probably watched too many war movies on TV.

(my highlighting)

[CAPTAIN] MCGONAGLE:

[......]

Love that Captain!
Ask the Captain.
\\
`

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

FROM THE DESK OF:
MEMBER, CMOH SOCIETY
October 24, 1998

Did the commander and crews of the PT boats know who attacked the USS Liberty? What were there orders?

If they were there to assist and the ship they were supposed to assist fired on them without being fired upon, they had every right to retaliate.

There orders were to sink it, and make sure there were no survivors. That's why they circled for 40 minutes machine-gunning the lifeboats. The only reason the broke off the attack was the Liberty managed to put out a help call to the Sixth Fleet.

(my highlighting)

[CAPTAIN] MCGONAGLE:

[......]

Love that Captain!
Ask the Captain.
\\
`

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

FROM THE DESK OF:
MEMBER, CMOH SOCIETY
October 24, 1998

There orders were to sink it, and make sure there were no survivors. That's why they circled for 40 minutes machine-gunning the lifeboats. The only reason the broke off the attack was the Liberty managed to put out a help call to the Sixth Fleet.

Where are you coming up with these convenient bullshit excuses from? 40 minutes to machine gun lifeboats? That should take about 2 minutes you ignorant POS! The only machine gun you have ever seen is probably in a cartoon!

Show me a reference that says what you claim.

We all know you can't do that because it would expose you as an anti-Semitic bigot when you fail miserably..

You have failed to back up anything you claim to be true, simply because shit like that does not happen and did not happen in this case.

Forum List

Back