American Kids Far Behind Slovenia, Vietnam in Science and Math

This has been a steady decline since about the 70s. Declining school budgets, teacher tenure systems makes it impossible to fire bad teachers,

"Teacher fired after giving zeros to students who didn't turn in assignments"

The latest ranking of top countries in math, reading, and science is out — and the US didn't crack the top 10

58471001ba6eb6d3008b7bf9-750-1038.png
Alexandra Cortez finished SECOND in her class. SECOND. How dumb did you have to be to get third????

Yes, she did finish second. The rest of her class tied for first!

The left despises education. Math is racist. Biology is sexist. High school graduates cannot read, do dimpl

The left despises hard work. That’s really why American kids in some places lag behind in math.
Do you have any idea how dumb that sounds, Tovarich?

U.S. Education System Lags Behind Other Countries | PBS NewsHour Extra
U.S. scores in reading and science rank 20th and 23rd respectively in the world. The highest scoring countries were located in East Asia. Students from China, Singapore, South Korea and Japan were at the top.
And shame on us! We're too busy teaching social things that should be taught in the home to concentrate on math and the sciences in schools. And kids get to choose curriculum, often the easy classes. American kids are tech smarter that us old fogies, yet seem unconnected. And the main problem IMHO is that we have dropped expectations. One example is: when my granddaughter was in 8th grade, her class was allowed to use calculators in class. That idea appalled me, and I was proud of her mother, who allowed the device in class along with her mates, but would not allow its use for homework. Kids tend to live up to expectations..or down to them whichever. Maybe we should all get more involved in local school board meetings. And stop making excuses for kids that disrupt and bully.

Working out math problems by hand develops mental rigor, which is important in a lot of things besides math. But Common Core eliminating cursive writing is final proof that they want to deprive us of the tools of democracy. When you are at town hall you don't want to take your laptop but you need to be taking notes. Nothing touches cursive for speed.

It's all deliberate. dumbing down a population makes them easier to control.

The left despises education. Math is racist. Biology is sexist. High school graduates cannot read, do dimpl

The left despises hard work. That’s really why American kids in some places lag behind in math.
Do you have any idea how dumb that sounds, Tovarich?

U.S. Education System Lags Behind Other Countries | PBS NewsHour Extra
U.S. scores in reading and science rank 20th and 23rd respectively in the world. The highest scoring countries were located in East Asia. Students from China, Singapore, South Korea and Japan were at the top.
And shame on us! We're too busy teaching social things that should be taught in the home to concentrate on math and the sciences in schools. And kids get to choose curriculum, often the easy classes. American kids are tech smarter that us old fogies, yet seem unconnected. And the main problem IMHO is that we have dropped expectations. One example is: when my granddaughter was in 8th grade, her class was allowed to use calculators in class. That idea appalled me, and I was proud of her mother, who allowed the device in class along with her mates, but would not allow its use for homework. Kids tend to live up to expectations..or down to them whichever. Maybe we should all get more involved in local school board meetings. And stop making excuses for kids that disrupt and bully.

Working out math problems by hand develops mental rigor, which is important in a lot of things besides math. But Common Core eliminating cursive writing is final proof that they want to deprive us of the tools of democracy. When you are at town hall you don't want to take your laptop but you need to be taking notes. Nothing touches cursive for speed.

It's all deliberate. dumbing down a population makes them easier to control.

Cursive is an an anachronism. I can print just as fast as I can write illegible cursive. How many people die each year because doctors write in cursive?

BTW, Common Core says nothing about how the problems are worked out in math, contrary to what you might think. That is curriculum, which is not Common Core Standards.

BTW, when are you going to take down that stupid photoshopped avatar?

Forum List

Back