American kids are the dumbest in the world yet liberals support the status quo..????

Teachers unions have nothing to do with america being dumb. parents need only to look into the mirror for the problem.

Or watch their darling text for hour upon hour.

Who needs an education or worry about the future when you have the world at your fingertips and you're only 12 years old....

I'm not entirely fond of our education system and there are ways to improve it. I had my kids where the teaching was not that great. My wife or I had several meetings with teachers who seemed not to care. I have had meetings with teacher to help or children grow and encourage our kids.

So, some teachers aren't as dedicated, but I also know parents that think you can drop off the kid in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon and they are educated.

It cuts both ways, but I like the voucher system as it gives parents, teachers and children choices, they all would do better.

Going on strike and demanding changes is not protecting the status quo.

the only change they want is less responsibility for producing the dumbest kids in the world and higher pay!!

Republicans want vouchers and competition so that every day everyone is pressured to do better and better until our kids are the best, not the Democratic worst in the world!!.

the only change they want is less responsibility for producing the dumbest kids in the world and higher pay!!

Republicans want vouchers and competition so that every day everyone is pressured to do better and better until our kids are the best, not the Democratic worst in the world!!.

Great idea it's a free country, go for it.

Why are the teachers striking? The Chicago Teachers Union is looking for a contract that includes the following (information courtesy of Gadlin):

Pay Fairness: "CTU seeks a fairer distribution of pay [i.e. higher compensation for teachers] and to preserve the schedule for career advancement established 45 years ago in the Union's first labor contract."

Protection of Benefits: "Maintain our existing benefits and sick days without increasing the contribution rate [how much teachers have to pay out-of-pocket for health care]."

Fair Evaluation Procedure: "The Chicago Public Schools' proposed evaluation procedures could result in 6,000 teachers, or nearly a third of all CPS teachers, facing discharge within one or two years. It places too much emphasis on standardized test scores, which diminishes children’s education and punishes teachers unfairly." In other words, teacher performance will be judged by standardized test scores.

Teacher Training: "Chicago Public Schools is imposing a new curriculum at all schools and a strict evaluation system. Teachers have asked for more training, but CPS proposes no increase, or in some cases decreased, teacher training."

Timetable for air conditioning: "Teachers insist that Chicago Public Schools agree to a reasonable timetable to install air conditioning in student classrooms. In July and August, students sit in sweltering 98-degree heat." (In case you're wondering what students are doing in a classroom during the summer, Chicago has implemented some year-round public schools.)

The union is also looking for a fair recall procedure for laid off teachers and fair compensation for a longer school year.
What's Happening With the Chicago Teacher Strike, Explained | Mother Jones

Last edited:
Chicago public schools have been around for a long long time. In that time Chicago has been hiring new teachers, teachers not in a union, teachers without tenure, yet it sounds like they hire teachers unsuited for the job. Even then, half the teachers leave in a five year period.
Instead of turning over merit pay to the students to decide or to circumstances beyond a teacher's control perhaps the city should create better hiring practices.

Chicago public schools have been around for a long long time. In that time Chicago has been hiring new teachers, teachers not in a union, teachers without tenure, yet it sounds like they hire teachers unsuited for the job. Even then, half the teachers leave in a five year period.
Instead of turning over merit pay to the students to decide or to circumstances beyond a teacher's control perhaps the city should create better hiring practices.

I'm interested, how do you conclude that they're hiring unsuitable teachers?

Well if the teachers are on strike and half of the new teachers leave within a five year period, it doesn't sound like a happy marriage. By this time the district should have enough experience to know what kind of teacher fits into their programs and hire those teachers. New teachers, while probably having some inkling as to what they want in a teaching job, do not have the years of experience as to job selection. It seems the burden is on the district's hiring practices. But there is undoubtably problems that we are not even aware of and these problems may be the ones that require attempts to remedy. It may even be a clash of cultures?

a classroom generates about $400,000 in revenue. If it was used to pay teachers( rather than wasted by liberals) they could hire the best in the world and our kids would be the smartest in the world instead of the most liberal and dumbest in the world.

a classroom generates about $400,000 in revenue. If it was used to pay teachers( rather than wasted by liberals) they could hire the best in the world and our kids would be the smartest in the world instead of the most liberal and dumbest in the world.[/QUOTe

Before you go can you define the word "dumb," by dumb do you mean low intelligence, uneducated, loss of voice or other?

a classroom generates about $400,000 in revenue. If it was used to pay teachers( rather than wasted by liberals) they could hire the best in the world and our kids would be the smartest in the world instead of the most liberal and dumbest in the world.

As long as society wants special ed kids mainstreamed and desires a full diploma for them, the overall comparison of our students to their students is not even close to being valid.
Many of the countries you tout as having great students and great educational systems throw these kids into vocational training at an early age...how many times must this be explained?

Well if the teachers are on strike and half of the new teachers leave within a five year period, it doesn't sound like a happy marriage. By this time the district should have enough experience to know what kind of teacher fits into their programs and hire those teachers. New teachers, while probably having some inkling as to what they want in a teaching job, do not have the years of experience as to job selection. It seems the burden is on the district's hiring practices. But there is undoubtably problems that we are not even aware of and these problems may be the ones that require attempts to remedy. It may even be a clash of cultures?
You might be right.
Presumably the teachers on strike don't include those that have been there for longer than five years.
Presumably the lder teachers don't care.

Why It’s Never Mattered That America’s Schools ‘Lag’ Behind Other Countries

Most importantly, the innovators at the helm of an economy come from the top quarter of students. While the United States has a dismal track-record of inequality, we treat our brightest minds quite well. The “average test scores are mostly irrelevant as a measure of economic potential,” write Hal Salzman & Lindsay Lowell in the prestigious journal, Nature, “To produce leading-edge technology, one could argue that it is the numbers of high-performing students that is most important in the global economy.”

Why It’s Never Mattered That America’s Schools ‘Lag’ Behind Other Countries | TechCrunch

psik

Why It’s Never Mattered That America’s Schools ‘Lag’ Behind Other Countries

Most importantly, the innovators at the helm of an economy come from the top quarter of students. While the United States has a dismal track-record of inequality, we treat our brightest minds quite well. The “average test scores are mostly irrelevant as a measure of economic potential,” write Hal Salzman & Lindsay Lowell in the prestigious journal, Nature, “To produce leading-edge technology, one could argue that it is the numbers of high-performing students that is most important in the global economy.”

Why It’s Never Mattered That America’s Schools ‘Lag’ Behind Other Countries | TechCrunch

psik

Due to the ratings by test scores, most schools are more worried about sp. ed. and other subgroups passing so that (unfortunately) is the focus.

I'm glad you're retired, given your attitude toward education.

What I said about catering to the lower subgroups is fact. Schools could give classes concerning first aid, have 20 former students go out and save 3 people each during the summer, but if the test scores aren't high it is a "failing school".
If you don't know this then you are bankrupt in the head about what goes on in education today.

Chew on this----
Don't worry about me being retired. I rake in about $90,000 a year in pensions and them gub'ment schools pay for my health insurance and will continue to do so for the next 4 generations in my family.
I had all my teeth pulled. That way restaurants would notice and only serve me the tenderest cuts of meat knowing I can't chew.
With the name blimpo, I used to weigh 600 pounds. But since I can't chew I weigh less than a hundred.
I played major league ball and raced cars at the same time. I crashed into the Green Monster in Fenway during a heat race last summer and broke my neck. I hope it doesn't keep me from riding in the Kentucky Derby next spring.

Last edited:
Republicans want to teach their kids that the Grand Canyon came from Noah's Flood and they call the kids of other people dumb?

They belong to a party Rick Santorum says doesn't want "smart people". Hilarious!

Forum List

Back