American kids are among the dumbest in civilized world. Why?

1) unions

2) lack of competition

3) free tuition

Liberals approve of and continue to support the above status quo because it was their dream come true, and so they are 100% responsible for making our kids among the dumbest in the world!

The obvious solution is to remove liberal influence from education.

Maybe because thier parents are among the dumbest and most misinformed willfully ignorant morons in the civilized world?

As soon as you hop on your shitty little boat and get the fuck out our average will shoot right up!

If we could just raise the standards then poof problems solved. You can raise the standards all you want but as long as parents think its the states job to educate their children nothing will change. Parents are responsible for their childrens education. I raised my sons in one of the worst school systems in the state and they all have excellent educations. I would not allow them anything less but it required work on me and my wifes part. Learning and knowledge are not commodities than can be bought and sold they have to be worked for. We get our work ethic from our parents and most parents are more than willing to allow the school to try and do that and the school can not and will not do it.

Schools give our children the tools to learn but we as parents have to teach our children how to use those tools and instill in them their importance.

Before anyone starts telling me about how some parents are not as smart or educated as others let me tell you this. My Dad can not read. Never learned how. He gave me a love and respect for learning. He never taught me anything in a book but he taught me that my education was important. He taught me that I would teach myself as I went. He taught me it was up to me to become educated.

Good for you, and I respect all of that, but my statement still stands.
If the government insists on compulsory education then you should be able to expect that the education provided is of the best quality.
That doesn't mean that parents still don't have responsibilities to instill morality, life skills etc.
But you should expect that basic education, provided by the government at their insistence (except for the opportunity for home schooling of course) should be of excellent quality.

School do not have the ability to educate without parents helping at home. Parents have the final responsbility in their childs education. The only way the state can educate without parents is if the state raises your children.

I'm not disagreeing with you.
Kids will always do better with supportive and involved parents.

it sounds simple when you say it fast eh?
Surely though, if the government enforces compulsory education it should be reasonable to expect the education that is provided is of an excellent standard.

If we could just raise the standards then poof problems solved. You can raise the standards all you want but as long as parents think its the states job to educate their children nothing will change. Parents are responsible for their childrens education. I raised my sons in one of the worst school systems in the state and they all have excellent educations. I would not allow them anything less but it required work on me and my wifes part. Learning and knowledge are not commodities than can be bought and sold they have to be worked for. We get our work ethic from our parents and most parents are more than willing to allow the school to try and do that and the school can not and will not do it.

Schools give our children the tools to learn but we as parents have to teach our children how to use those tools and instill in them their importance.

Before anyone starts telling me about how some parents are not as smart or educated as others let me tell you this. My Dad can not read. Never learned how. He gave me a love and respect for learning. He never taught me anything in a book but he taught me that my education was important. He taught me that I would teach myself as I went. He taught me it was up to me to become educated.

Good for you, and I respect all of that, but my statement still stands.
If the government insists on compulsory education then you should be able to expect that the education provided is of the best quality.
That doesn't mean that parents still don't have responsibilities to instill morality, life skills etc.
But you should expect that basic education, provided by the government at their insistence (except for the opportunity for home schooling of course) should be of excellent quality.

The parents must be involved in the education along with morals etc, which are the parents' duties in the first place. If the parents are making sure the kids are doing their studies and they parents are backing up the teacher, then schooling will improve dramatically.

As I read these posts, however, I realize how fortunate we are, seems those dumbest kids in the world grow up to be the smartest adults in the world.

As I read these posts, however, I realize how fortunate we are, seems those dumbest kids in the world grow up to be the smartest adults in the world.

That's why we have to import so many skilled workers on the HB-1 visa program. We have so many smart adults, they can't qualify for jobs.

Well they're smart enough to import what we need. Suppose America just dropped the idea of trying to educate all and concentrated on the top percentage, those that want and can absorb a top education? But then the question arises what is a top education? Is it the old liberal arts education that was applicable to the children of the rich so they might be the leaders of society or should it be an education that helps the nation with the sciences and the making of money?

Very few of the very rich have a liberal arts education. They may have some undergrad liberal arts degree, but they have mostly (Paris Hilton notwithstanding) gone on to get post grad and advanced degrees.

We are graduating more and more useless people all the time. Those with degrees, sometimes more than one, that aren't qualified to do anything beyond menial labor. But, they believe that with a degree they are worth something on the world market. They aren't. They are floor moppers and fork lift drivers with a degree in some fluff course.

It isn't the recent graduates who are smart enough to import what we need. It's the old guard who can't find a domestic work force. They are the ones who import what they need. When the US has a majority of business leaders who are foreign and recognize the real needs, they will also (an in many cases have already done so) recognize that Americans don't have very much to offer.

Credible links do all of your assertions, please, Katz,or your premises are merely assertions.

I really do expect you to know matters of common knowledge. The entire tuition debate is already predicated on the real worth of useless degrees.

I can't educate you. I can give you some starting points to educate yourself.

http://www.caalusa.org/Press.pdf

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/10/e...ich-and-poor-studies-show.html?pagewanted=all

The useless degree examined in more detail.

Half of College Grads Find Either No Work or No Degree-Related Work by Bob Adelmann

The dynamic it sets up is that a child from an affluent family with a useful educational background is more likely to get a degree in a useful field. A child whose parents have a useless degree are going to be less likely to see the worth of getting a degree at all.

The more wealthy the family, the more emphasis there is on education. Ivanka Trump wasn't expected to sit around being beautiful, she went to school. Lots of schools. Ivanka Trump attended The Chapin School in New York City, and graduated from Choate Rosemary Hall in Wallingford, Connecticut. She spent two years at Georgetown University, then transferred to the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania, graduating summa cum laude in 2004 with a B.S. in Economics.

This is FAR from a liberal arts education.

Thank you for doing due diligence.

And, no, the assertions were not common knowledge.

I will enjoy looking through the links.

1) unions

2) lack of competition

3) free tuition

Liberals approve of and continue to support the above status quo because it was their dream come true, and so they are 100% responsible for making our kids among the dumbest in the world!

The obvious solution is to remove liberal influence from education.

Maybe because thier parents are among the dumbest and most misinformed willfully ignorant morons in the civilized world?

As soon as you hop on your shitty little boat and get the fuck out our average will shoot right up!

In 1958 the Chris Craft Commander was by far the finest waterfcraft 33 ft long that you could purchase on the entire planet. There were just a handfull of Commanders built with a flying bridge. Mine is one of them. Bite me moron. 12,000 pounds of Honduran mohogany and Phillipean teak.

You are an idiot.

In 1958 the Chris Craft Commander was by far the finest waterfcraft 33 ft long that you could purchase on the entire planet. There were just a handfull of Commanders built with a flying bridge. Mine is one of them. Bite me moron. 12,000 pounds of Honduran mohogany and Phillipean teak.

Yeah, yeah, I'm sure that's what they told you at Honest Larry's Used Boat World. Way to go, chump. Now climb on your leaky dingy and get the fuck out.

If American kids are among the dumbest in the civilized world might check with the parents.

You cant kill or replace the parents, but you can kill or replace the liberals who run our schools and make our kids among the dumbest in the civilized world.

Ghetto parents are in theory among the dumbest parents but they are the ones who want Republican vouchers the most. So, even dumb parents know better than liberals how to help or kids.

It all comes back to the parents. If the parents are engaged in their child's education then their child is going to do well. If they don't give a damn than neither will their kid and no amount of money thrown at the school system is going to change that. Education needs to start at home first, then continue in the schools.

Parents are why schools and students succeed well, in part, or not at all.

A parent who will not be part of the child's education is a parent in failure.

The Department of Education and the Teacher's Unions.

Next question.

Five states do not allow teacher unions. Those states have the lowest test scores in the nation. Might be easy to check the condition of education before and after the Department of education was established. Wonder if it's better or worse?

I think you are referring to an article which has already been debunked. Here is a link which you might find useful:

“There’s been a factoid making the rounds during the Wisconsin union standoff that you may have seen. I’m not sure what the ultimate source of the factoid is, but here’s the meat of it as reiterated by a blogger for The Economist [what follows is the alleged comparisons of union versus non-union states]
(Explanatory insertion my own).

“…....the factoid itself is highly dubious.*Again, it is hard to find the original source for this, but I looked up*2009 ACT and SAT state rankings, and at the very least it seems*highly unlikely*that Virginia ranks 44th out of all states. According to the ACT ranking, for instance, Virginia*places 22nd, and on the SAT (assuming the linked to list is accurate — I’m doing this fast), it ranked 33rd. It’s hard to see how those would be combined for a 44th place overall finish”

SAT/ACT Factoid Debunked | Cato @ Liberty

Note: The alleged test results were created by a blogger for The Economist. It did not appear in the magazine itself.

Oh, horse shit, Professor. You want to debunk a factoid when the article states "’m not sure what the ultimate source of the factoid is, but here’s the meat of it as reiterated by a blogger for The Economist [what follows is the alleged comparisons of union versus non-union states."

Horse shit on you, on the Cato writer, on the blogger, and on The Economist for not finding out.

You are the perfect example of not doing due diligence.

Go find out, please.

Starting to get a take on this education thing, it seems rich kids go to school to learn a trade and poor kids take liberal arts. Do some trade school, say medical schools, require a liberal arts degree for entry or do they they have to meet some liberal arts requirements in med school?

Forum List

Back