American influence crumbling

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by The_Halfmoon, Nov 17, 2009.

1. The_Halfmoon

The_Halfmoon Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    America is at a serious crossroads right now. We all hear everyday probably the terms "multi-polar" world, but I think some of us understand this new world is the same as the one yesterday, but with a much more diminished role for US intervention abroad.

Bottom line, if there ever was an American empire, it is crumbling. RAPIDLY. Bellow is an article from the Asia Times which points out 6 signs of diminishing American power. In a way I don't think this is all bad, but I do feel America has been a force for good and I worry about a world without American supremacy.

Asia Times Online :: South Asia news, business and economy from India and Pakistan

Here's a summary of the 6 points, and you tell me if you agree or not:

1. The G-7/G-8 has now officially deferred to the G-20. This demonstrates the rapid rise of the "BRIC" countries (Brazil, Russia, India, and China). Jeffrey Sachs is quoted as saying: "The G-20's true significance is not in the passing of a baton from the G-7/G-8 but from the G-1, the US."

2. Americas economic rivals are looking for an alternative to the dollar. Again, the BRIC countries are moving away from the US.

3. Although there is a lot of misleading information about this issue, both Russia and China have rebuffed the US diplomatically regarding Iran. Obama thought he could buy the Russians by nixing the missile shield in Eastern Europe. But he seems to have received little for his rather significant sacrifice.

4. China has gone a step further, and outright developed a DEEP relationship with Iran. This not only shows a dismissal of US interests by China, but also a bypassing of traditional US allies in the Gulf.

5. International support for the war in Afghanistan is very rapidly diminishing. Gordon Brown has only pledged an extra 500 troops and "only if other European nations increase their own military involvement, something he undoubtedly knows is highly unlikely."

6. The bypassing of Chicago by the IOC for the 2016 olympics. The writer notes, "few said so, but in the course of the Olympic decision-making process the US was summarily and pointedly demoted from sole superpower to instant also-ran, a symbolic moment on a planet entering a new age."

What do you think?

2. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Of course. America has passed it's golden age and is in decline. How far it goes down and if we ever regain much is the question.

3. The_Halfmoon

The_Halfmoon Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    yah, definitely. I don't think it will stop being the most powerful single nation. But it may stop being so powerful that the world agrees to every one of its diplomatic goals.

4. Claudette

Claudette Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,628
    Gee. I wonder if the rest of the world can take care of itself now?? Mayby fight their own wars. Feed their own hungry people. Hey they might even provide medial care, fight AIDS. Who knows what they can do when we Americans aren't there to do it for them????

Mayby this being a third world country isn't such a bad deal after all.

5. The_Halfmoon

The_Halfmoon Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    well, resource exporting countries have definitely suffered under US hegemony, but I think a significant amount of trouble has been kept under check by the US.

We all remember when Russian influence crumbled in the Balkans, so who knows.

6. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    It's the progress of globalisation that's all. Globalisation results in a "flatter" world (not a Flat Earth of course) and that means that economic power and political influence will eventually find its own level. The US is possibly the last superpower.

Ironically enough the BushCheney Administration which touted the military invincibility of the US actually exposed its limits. Corporations don't care about national interests or political influence unless they can be exploited, so corporations are driving globalisation.

Unlike early in the 20th Century when the United States was undergoing massive growth in its economy and corporations enlisted the power of the US military to colonise countries in the North-America/South America/Caribbean axis, corporations now have little use for US military power, it could well be that the invasion and occupation of Iraq is the last blatantly obvious use of US military power to secure corporate interests in another nation.

Other previous imperial/colonial powers enjoyed growth, stability and then decline, all due to geopolitical forces at work. It's happening to the US now, the 21st Century will be a global century, you're watching history being made.

7. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,030
    Except for #6, all those have been in process for years.

Perhaps instead of #6, we'd say "President wins Nobel Peace Prize."

8. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    I think anyone that has ever shopped at walmart is responsible for the dimming of the influence america once held. It is selfish traitors that leap over dollars to save dimes that have brought this on. The neo cons have dumbed you all down and now you complain?

9. kyzr

kyzr Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +629
    I almost thanked you for your post, until you blamed America's decline on the "neocons". IMHO it was Walmart and the mad rush to relocate too many factories overseas, including high-tech. The economic lead we had on the world went away due to simple greed by Wall Street, CEOs and the Corporate Boards.
    Congress was bought-off to prove that they are whores, who don't care about domestic jobs, or our standard of living.

As to our "decline", I hope that means no more "foreign aid" and no more playing the "worlds cop". Let the rest of the world start paying for their own security.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  10. logical4u

logical4u citizen

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +543
    IMHO, it is because our leader has declared that we are no longer a Christian nation, therefore the blessing that we have received will be diminished as well.