American Idol Commentary

The ClayTaurus

Sep 19, 2005
A bit dated, but I found it amusing (if you still care)

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?...580FD3CCA257FED6643D378EE6B60045&sql=61::65SP

So, we're down to the final three this week — Elliott, Kat, and Taylor. Chris Daughtry's departure last week was still causing waves as of Tuesday: the local news was teasing an interview with him where he's citing "Voting Conspiracy," at which point he just looks like the sorest loser in American Idol history. And while it would have been pretty fun to hear what Clive Davis would have picked for demon-eyed Daughtry, after Tuesday's episode, I do believe that we had a pretty good final three — three singers who were equally matched in talent and image, if not in charisma.
AK: Anyone else catch Taylor's bizarre "please momma don't hit me" look during the first moments of "You Are So Beautiful"?

MC: Yeah, that was a variation on his usual "something stinks" look.

AK: What I've never understood about "Try a Little Tenderness" is how it works itself into the opposite of tenderness. You're yelling at me, I can't think straight — maybe you ought to give it a shot.

JM: That's exactly why Taylor does it so well. If he wins and mass fame ensues, his inevitable drug-abuse years will play to the tabloids like a first-year Sopranos episode.

STE: Taylor needs to stop crouching — it's an unappetizing stage move that can distract from his skills.

AK: The crouching is either an uncontrollable tic or IBS.

MC: Taylor has Irritable Soul Syndrome.
TS: It really is up in the air. What Kat and Taylor do next week really will matter. Does anyone know what the format is going to be? I'd like to see Simon pick songs for Kat, Randy to pick for Taylor, and Paula to pick the correct dosage. Also perhaps Ryan could take the trouble to shave off that mangy attempt at a beard.
:laugh:
TS: It was lovely to see that Clive Davis was presented with the Michael Jackson Award. He seemed truly touched and his speech warmed the hearts of accountants and execs at RCA. I know ultimately the whole thing is about money, but it is nice to have the illusion that dreams are at stake, not just careers. Why they trotted him out and had him give a kind of defensive and self-satisfied speech at that point is a mystery. It just about ruined the moment for me.

Luckily the drama of the close vote brought me back from revolutionary reveries in which the people overthrew the corporations and music was about passion and invention, not dollar bills and units. Is there a more soul-sucking word in the world of music than units?

AK: Yes: "layoffs."

HP: Yeah, the defensive and self-satisfied speech reminded me of the Lifetime Achievement Awards at the Oscars — the moment when you realize that the show is probably going to be four hours long.

AK: Clive's speech did grate, but it was necessary to point out that the show has a much greater effect than a lot of people realize. Granted, most of those people who are unaware have never seen the show and already know that they hate it and everything it represents.

JM: Clive looked super creepy in his blue, dirty-old-man robe Tuesday.

TS: He looked almost as scary as Paul Simon did on SNL. Something about being old and rich and in the music business makes your face stone cold and your eyes dead. That's why I'm aiming for old and poor.
RT: So Lost was totally awesome this week. And I guess during the season finale we're going to find out why the plane crashed and a few other riddles. I tuned in to AI just to see who was going to get the boot and that's about it.

TS: You get the boot, traitor.

RT: I regret nothing. Sometimes I get the feeling there's more quality singing in five minutes of Lost than in a whole episode of AI.

TS: By the way...Todd Bridges! Is that the best they could do for celebs on the next-to-last show?

MC: Harry Hamlin was all booked up.

Forum List

Back