American Idiocracy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Divine.Wind, Sep 8, 2011.

?

I'm tired of partisan politics in my government

1. Agreed

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Disagreed

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. No opinion

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. I'm not sure

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Divine.Wind

Divine.Wind American Moderate Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,336
    Back in 1989-1990 I earned an MA in International Relations from Troy State University, 3/4's of which was paid courtesy of American tax payers. Thanks guys and gals!

Besides bragging rights, the year and a quarter of night and weekend classes at Hulburt AFB also introduced me to one of the best political magazines on the planet; the Economist.

This article is a taste of why it's a great analysis of current geopolitical, economic and military situations around the globe.

Schumpeter: American idiocracy | The Economist

A few highlights:

2. Zagg

Zagg small el libertarian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I agree that our political differences are going to severely damage our economy and place in the world. But the differences are real. There's no way you can make them go away. Perhaps in a generation or two, they'll have resolved themselves. But for the immediate future, we're in a deadlock.

3. signelect

signelect BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I got my degree from Thunderbird in 1965 and the economist was great then, a voice of reason.

4. francoHFW

francoHFW Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,607
    Conservative Chancellor of the Exchequer" The greatest danger to the world economy is Right Wing fanatics in the US Congress".

"Un-American NO COMPROMISE Republicans"- TIME Magazine

5. Divine.Wind

Divine.Wind American Moderate Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,336
    Agreed the differences are real. Those differences have been with us since the days of Jefferson and Hamilton. They will never go away. In fact, it would be extremely bad for us if one side or the other did go away. In many ways it is the same situation as the different approach of parents; the colder, more pragmatic father and the warmer, more nurturing mother. To have one completely dominate or eliminate the other would be bad for the family. The same goes for politics in America. The problem we have here is the same as any other dysfunctional family. We need to keep the family, but we need to remove the dysfunction by learning to work with each other.

Several years ago, in an effort to save my own marriage, I went to marriage counseling. One of the first things the doctor told us was that all married couples fight. It's natural for disputes to come up. The difference between a good, successful marriage and a bad, failed marriage was how they fought. Good couples fight fair and keep the dispute on topic. Bad couples dredge up old bullshit and keep moving the goalposts in an effort to "win" the fight. While one or the other may "win" the fight, the marriage is doomed to failure.

6. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157
    bipartisanship is when politicians from both parties come together to screw the people.

So, no I dont have a problem with partisanship. I like it when people have different ideas and those ideas are debated on their merits.

Now will you please stop pretending that it's the GOP causing all the partisanship. It was the GOP who compromised in that poorly thought out debt ceiling "Compromise". Obama got exactly what he wanted.

7. Zagg

Zagg small el libertarian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Nice metaphor of the parents. But as far as saving this marriage goes, at the moment neither party wants to save it on terms acceptable to the other party. And by party, I don't mean just the formal party structures, but the broad chunks of the electorate that elect the politicians of the two parties. Maybe I'm wrong and a significant majority will coalesce around one or the other of the platforms offered them, or on something in between, sometime soon. I'm skeptical that that's going to happen in the next decade at least.

8. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Now that - I agree with. Absolutely. They employ some fantastic writers.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,432
    Unfortunately, the divide was turned into a chasm when Jr. and his great line "if you're not with us, you're with the terrorists". That made everyone try to say their way was the only right way.

Unfortunately, our lawmakers that we sent to Washington to represent the views of all the people of this country, have chosen instead to reduce their rhetoric to bumper stickers and tweets, instead of doing their actual jobs which includes debate and compromise.

I mean.......the views of someone in Iowa are going to be much different than those in LA or NYC, so if you want to truly represent the people, you need to compromise on things so that the whole country has a voice.

10. DontBeStupid

DontBeStupid Look it up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +422
    I think this captures it entirely. There has always been partisanship in America, but lately, both sides have taken to saying not only that they are correct, but that the other side is 100% incorrect. Obviously, neither side is always right nor always wrong, and facts don't change based on which party uses them, but all that is being tossed out the window.

We see it on this board every day. Someone posts legitimate facts, backed up with a link or site or source, and the other simply ignores them because they can't accept their opponent might be correct about something.

I think this country gets better when both sides realize the other side has something worthwhile to contribute.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011