American Flag Under Assault

Let's see, the left thinks a dime sized symbol of America is offensive enough to get someone fired but if the job was unionized he would be OK? What the hell convoluted reasoning is that? It's about what we expect from the left these days. Listen up fools. Schools teach kids to respect every religious symbol (except Christianity) and be tolerent of different dress codes (like men in dresses) but a dime sized symbol of our Country ...let me say it louder ...A DIME SIZED SYMBOL OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.. is deemed so offensive that lefties have no problem defending the employer for firing a person for wearing it. The world is upside down under liberalism.

You seem to speak on the incorrect assumption that his firing had anything to do with the American flag. It didn't.

That's where the spin comes in. We know how rigid dress codes can get among hotel employees ....well....don't we? What we (Americans) are asking is that perhaps the rigid dress code enforced in a hotel could be relaxed enough to allow an American the simple freedom to display a dime sized symbol of his own Country on his lapel. Is that too much to ask while America is at war? FDR would be rolling over in his grave.

This isn’t a First Amendment issue as there’s no potential government preemption; this has nothing to do with ‘liberalism.’

It’s got nothing to do with anything, actually, except as noted: pay attention to one’s condition of employment.

Why not allow an employee to wear a tiny American Flag? It boils down to two reasons, ideological bigotry and money. You could factor in the remote potential of vandalism or violence but that comes under the heading of ideological bigotry anyway and the money issue is tied to ideological bigotry when people refuse to stay at a hotel where an employee wears a tiny American Flag. It becomes a 1st Amendment issue the moment the employee is represented by council and my guess is that it might have happened..

Not when they are told in advance and they sign and agree to it

:eusa_hand:

Tell me again popeye. In the greatest Country on the face of the earth was any American ever forced to sign a document as a condition of employment that he would never display the American Flag on his lapel? I don't think so. You nit-picking nose-picking lifties are pretty quick to defend the petty interpretation of petty corporate rules when they undermine certain freedoms. Let's put it this way, I would agree that the employee could be fired if he ran across the dining room periodically with a ten foot Flag that splashed linguini sauce around but a dime sized American Flag on a lapel is only offensive when viewed through bigoted hate filled eyes.

I really hope you're being sarcastic, but in the event you are not: no. If you want to relax, don't work a job that requires professionalism in dress and behavior.

Here is another Perspective that will help his case in Court. He wore the Pin every day for two years at work, before being confronted. That opened the door. Why all of a sudden is it a problem? If he did wear the pin Everyday, without being called on it, it does imply allowance. Sorry, but that Supervisors Ass and the Hotel's check book are going to take a big hit.

May, 26, said he wore the pin everyday for two years and never had a problem with it until his manager approached him. The station said it received a massive community response to May’s story, which first aired Thursday.

Welborn Freedom Watch: American Flag Under Assault - #3333 - Florida Hotel Fires Worker for Wearing American Flag Pin - The Blaze (2) Olive Garden Restaurant Apologizes After Staff Refuses to Let Patron Display American Flag in Restaurant - Fox News

I bet if this guy burned an American flag in the parking lot he would not be in trouble.
In fact the hotel probably would have promoted him and the left here would have less of a problem with him doing that then wearing the pin.
Yes, unless the hotel has a policy against burning the flag.

Let's see, the left thinks a dime sized symbol of America is offensive enough to get someone fired but if the job was unionized he would be OK? What the hell convoluted reasoning is that? It's about what we expect from the left these days. Listen up fools. Schools teach kids to respect every religious symbol (except Christianity) and be tolerent of different dress codes (like men in dresses) but a dime sized symbol of our Country ...let me say it louder ...A DIME SIZED SYMBOL OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.. is deemed so offensive that lefties have no problem defending the employer for firing a person for wearing it. The world is upside down under liberalism.

You seem to speak on the incorrect assumption that his firing had anything to do with the American flag. It didn't.

That's where the spin comes in. We know how rigid dress codes can get among hotel employees ....well....don't we? What we (Americans) are asking is that perhaps the rigid dress code enforced in a hotel could be relaxed enough to allow an American the simple freedom to display a dime sized symbol of his own Country on his lapel. Is that too much to ask while America is at war? FDR would be rolling over in his grave.

When I was in the military, I was not allowed to wear a flag pin on my lapel. Where is your outrage there?

Here is another Perspective that will help his case in Court. He wore the Pin every day for two years at work, before being confronted. That opened the door. Why all of a sudden is it a problem? If he did wear the pin Everyday, without being called on it, it does imply allowance. Sorry, but that Supervisors Ass and the Hotel's check book are going to take a big hit.

May, 26, said he wore the pin everyday for two years and never had a problem with it until his manager approached him. The station said it received a massive community response to May’s story, which first aired Thursday.

Welborn Freedom Watch: American Flag Under Assault - #3333 - Florida Hotel Fires Worker for Wearing American Flag Pin - The Blaze (2) Olive Garden Restaurant Apologizes After Staff Refuses to Let Patron Display American Flag in Restaurant - Fox News
Who cares? Could have been new management, a new complaint, or just the enforcement of previously established but overlooked rules. He's an employee and at the mercy of his employer when it comes to rules he's already agreed to abide by. Had he been doing anything else out of line with company policy and it was overlooked for any stretch of time, it wouldn't change the fact that he was still breaking company policy. Really, insert anything else in there. Say he was taking pillow mints every day until someone finally told him to stop. Or taking soaps, or sexually harassing guests. What does prior allowance have to do with the fact that he's breaking the rules now?

I bet if this guy burned an American flag in the parking lot he would not be in trouble.
In fact the hotel probably would have promoted him and the left here would have less of a problem with him doing that then wearing the pin.

It has noting to do with flags, pins, left or right; it has only to do with property rights. First Amendment restrictions concerning preemption apply only to lawmaking entities, not private companies.

What exactly are conservatives advocating here? The government telling a private business owner he can’t fire an employee because he’s wearing a flag pin?

When I was in the military, I was not allowed to wear a flag pin on my lapel. Where is your outrage there?

What Military did you serve in? Today they wear the Flag on their arms and if they are killed they have the Flag draped on their coffins.

What Military did you serve in? Today they wear the Flag on their arms and if they are killed they have the Flag draped on their coffins.

On my flight suit yes...but not on my Khakis, Summer Whites, Winter Blues, or my Dress Whites/Blues.

Oh, and I served in the United States Navy for 21 years. And you?

Who cares? Could have been new management, a new complaint, or just the enforcement of previously established but overlooked rules. He's an employee and at the mercy of his employer when it comes to rules he's already agreed to abide by. Had he been doing anything else out of line with company policy and it was overlooked for any stretch of time, it wouldn't change the fact that he was still breaking company policy. Really, insert anything else in there. Say he was taking pillow mints every day until someone finally told him to stop. Or taking soaps, or sexually harassing guests. What does prior allowance have to do with the fact that he's breaking the rules now?

Every example you listed was a crime. So the comparison is apples and oranges. If he wore the pin as stated everyday for 2 years prior, and the matter was never addressed, until this time, he has a case. Any Lawyers here want to voice in on this? Feel Free.

On my flight suit yes...but not on my Khakis, Summer Whites, Winter Blues, or my Dress Whites/Blues.

Stop whining. What do you expect working for the Government all of those years, Silly? :D

Last edited:

Stop whining. What do you expect working for the Government all of those years, Silly? :D

:razz:

Every example you listed was a crime. So the comparison is apples and oranges. If he wore the pin as stated everyday for 2 years prior, and the matter was never addressed, until this time, he has a case. Any Lawyers here want to voice in on this? Feel Free.

using mints from a hotel is a crime? How about taking a pen and using it? the only reason one is a "crime" and one isn't is because the boss dictates which is acceptable. But if you don't like mint usage so much, you can insert any other non "criminal" policy. Coming late repeatedly. Leaving early. Being disrespectful to guests. Take your pick the concept is the same.

using mints from a hotel is a crime? How about taking a pen and using it? the only reason one is a "crime" and one isn't is because the boss dictates which is acceptable. But if you don't like mint usage so much, you can insert any other non "criminal" policy. Coming late repeatedly. Leaving early. Being disrespectful to guests. Take your pick the concept is the same.

Stealing Mints, Pens, Stationary, is a crime. Coming Late or leaving Early is stealing time. Wearing a Flag Lapel for two years before being called on it, is not taking something that doesn't belong to you. It is not the same concept, or context. I do understand your point. What I am saying is Institutions and Companies have lost in the past on issues like this. The Pin is freedom of Expression, Speech, and even Religion. It is not tacky, if it was, there may be an argument there.

Stealing TIME?! I'm sorry, can you point me to the last person in the US prosecuted for punching in late to work repeatedly?

You seem to think freedom of speech extends into the private domain. It doesn't.

If your job requires you to stand in silence and you fail to do so, you can be fired. If your job requires you to have a specific dress code and you decide street clothes are acceptable, you can be fired. This really isn't a difficult concept.

Stealing TIME?! I'm sorry, can you point me to the last person in the US prosecuted for punching in late to work repeatedly?

You seem to think freedom of speech extends into the private domain. It doesn't.

If your job requires you to stand in silence and you fail to do so, you can be fired. If your job requires you to have a specific dress code and you decide street clothes are acceptable, you can be fired. This really isn't a difficult concept.

You don't get Prosecuted, you get Fired. Having Someone Else Punch You In or Out is a Crime. It is Stealing Time. You need to talk to some of your Union Friends about that.

No argument there. I'm just pointing out that ignoring something, or allowing it for 2 years, and then slamming the Firing Hammer Down does look bad on you, and having established a Precedent, may work against you in Court.

The company wins. Get over it. The laws of the US favor commerce.

Not that simple. The Company could lose It's Customers over something silly like that. It's really up to the CEO and the image he want's to present in the end.

Forum List

Back