American Flag Under Assault

A Florida hotel fired its front desk supervisor after the man wore an American flag lapel pin, a violation of the hotel’s personal appearance policies that prohibit employees from wearing badges and pins. Sean May told Jacksonville’s WJXT that his manager at St. Augustine’s Casa Monica Hotel told him Thursday to remove the pin or leave. He refused to take it off and was sent home. The following day, the hotel informed him he was fired. “I wear it with pride because I like where I live and I love this country,” May told the station. When his manager gave him the ultimatum, “I said I‘m not going to remove the pin so I guess I’m going home.

There is no assault on the American flag here. The hotel has a policy that addresses all pins, badges, etc. without exception.

I bet if this guy burned an American flag in the parking lot he would not be in trouble.
In fact the hotel probably would have promoted him and the left here would have less of a problem with him doing that then wearing the pin.

I'm no lawyer and have never stayed at a Holiday Inn express, so maybe someone who is or has will comment on my comment.

First two assumptions about this case. The employee was fully aware he was not allowed to wear any kind of pin, and, as alleged, he wore the pin every work day for two years and no one said boo about it. That said, I believe there's something in the law that would negate the hotels pin ban rule because they failed to enforce it on a regular or ongoing basis.

One of the left leaning news networks came under fire for not allowing their employees to wear an American Flag pin a while back. Let's examine the motivation. The left leaning news source claimed that they didn't want to appear biased (towards their own Country?) during broadcasts. Why would a hotel in the United States forbid an employee from wearing a tiny American Flag pin? It's ironic that the left fought hard for a supreme court decision that allowed them to use the Flag for toilet paper about forty years ago and now they can't stand to see the Flag on someone's lapel. What's the motivation? It has to be political ideology. The left expects everyone to be tolerent of the symbols and beliefs of every culture on the planet but can't seem to tolerate a simple pin the size of a dime that represents their own Country.

You seem to fail to understand the direction afforded by that tolerance. The idea is that we are open to all peaceful representation in the public domain. If, say, a CUSTOMER of the hotel came in with an American flag pin and asked the manager if it was acceptable, there would be ZERO problem.

But let's get to the real issue here: immature conservatives who are not representative of their party in any way making a stink about a hotel employee blatantly violating the rules of his employer, whereby said rule breaking COINCIDENTALLY happened to involve an American flag, but could have been ANYTHING.

In short: The issue had nothing to do with him wearing an American flag. He was fired for blatantly disregarding his employer's policies even after warning. That pretty much defines the reason to fire someone.

I'm no lawyer and have never stayed at a Holiday Inn express, so maybe someone who is or has will comment on my comment.

First two assumptions about this case. The employee was fully aware he was not allowed to wear any kind of pin, and, as alleged, he wore the pin every work day for two years and no one said boo about it. That said, I believe there's something in the law that would negate the hotels pin ban rule because they failed to enforce it on a regular or ongoing basis.

So if you embezzle from your employer every work day for two years, then there will be no consequences because they failed to enforce the rule against it on a regular or ongoing basis? Groovy!

:lol:
A guy could wear a freaking dress to work and be covered by the 1st Amendment these days but the Flag has become a controversial issue. The world is upside down under liberalism.

This isn’t a First Amendment issue as there’s no potential government preemption; this has nothing to do with ‘liberalism.’

It’s got nothing to do with anything, actually, except as noted: pay attention to one’s condition of employment.

Why not allow an employee to wear a tiny American Flag? It boils down to two reasons, ideological bigotry and money. You could factor in the remote potential of vandalism or violence but that comes under the heading of ideological bigotry anyway and the money issue is tied to ideological bigotry when people refuse to stay at a hotel where an employee wears a tiny American Flag. It becomes a 1st Amendment issue the moment the employee is represented by council and my guess is that it might have happened..

That's gotta be one hungry lawyer!

A Florida hotel fired its front desk supervisor after the man wore an American flag lapel pin, a violation of the hotel’s personal appearance policies that prohibit employees from wearing badges and pins. Sean May told Jacksonville’s WJXT that his manager at St. Augustine’s Casa Monica Hotel told him Thursday to remove the pin or leave. He refused to take it off and was sent home. The following day, the hotel informed him he was fired. “I wear it with pride because I like where I live and I love this country,” May told the station. When his manager gave him the ultimatum, “I said I‘m not going to remove the pin so I guess I’m going home.

read more Welborn Freedom Watch: American Flag Under Assault - #3333 - Florida Hotel Fires Worker for Wearing American Flag Pin - The Blaze (2) Olive Garden Restaurant Apologizes After Staff Refuses to Let Patron Display American Flag in Restaurant - Fox News

There is a major difference between doing things right and doing the right thing. I would have hoped an exception could have been made here.

I bet if this guy burned an American flag in the parking lot he would not be in trouble.
In fact the hotel probably would have promoted him and the left here would have less of a problem with him doing that then wearing the pin.

In addition to making no sense whatsoever, this has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

‘He refused to take it off and was sent home.’

This could be construed as grounds for dismissal, having nothing to do with the pin. A Florida woman was fired sometime ago for 'laughing too much' at work. At will, right to work - little interpretation needed.

read more Welborn Freedom Watch: American Flag Under Assault - #3333 - Florida Hotel Fires Worker for Wearing American Flag Pin - The Blaze (2) Olive Garden Restaurant Apologizes After Staff Refuses to Let Patron Display American Flag in Restaurant - Fox News

The flag is not under attack, the hotel has a very clear uniform policy that prohibits all pins other than the name tag.

The flag is not under attack, the hotel has a very clear uniform policy that prohibits all pins other than the name tag.

Hold that thought! :clap2:

Hold that thought! :clap2:

I will.

Even if he had not read the employment agreement when he was hired, it was explained to him when he wore the pin on his jacket, and he was told not to do it again, He did, and they fired him.

End of story.

"I understand that I can be terminated for any reason or no reason whatsoever" is at the bottom of every job application in the state of Florida

:eusa_whistle:

The deeper question here, is not the pin, or the fact that the employee was fired. The real question here, is the origin of that policy in the first place-a debased popular culture (mostly inspired and produced by the political left over the last fifty years), that scorns and sneers at patriotism in any form, along with everything else that used to be considered "virtue". In the twisted logic of cultural Marxism, right is wrong, wrong is right and vice is virtue. This is the woeful legacy of the hippie sixties, and a disgusting thing it is to behold! God, how I hate everything that filthy, unwashed, drug-eating rabble did to my country!

There is a major difference between doing things right and doing the right thing. I would have hoped an exception could have been made here.
Why?

The deeper question here, is not the pin, or the fact that the employee was fired. The real question here, is the origin of that policy in the first place-a debased popular culture (mostly inspired and produced by the political left over the last fifty years), that scorns and sneers at patriotism in any form, along with everything else that used to be considered "virtue". In the twisted logic of cultural Marxism, right is wrong, wrong is right and vice is virtue. This is the woeful legacy of the hippie sixties, and a disgusting thing it is to behold! God, how I hate everything that filthy, unwashed, drug-eating rabble did to my country!
No.

A right to work state. He breaks the rules, there is no union recourse. That's the way the Right likes it, isn't it?

Let's see, the left thinks a dime sized symbol of America is offensive enough to get someone fired but if the job was unionized he would be OK? What the hell convoluted reasoning is that? It's about what we expect from the left these days. Listen up fools. Schools teach kids to respect every religious symbol (except Christianity) and be tolerent of different dress codes (like men in dresses) but a dime sized symbol of our Country ...let me say it louder ...A DIME SIZED SYMBOL OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.. is deemed so offensive that lefties have no problem defending the employer for firing a person for wearing it. The world is upside down under liberalism.

Let's see, the left thinks a dime sized symbol of America is offensive enough to get someone fired but if the job was unionized he would be OK? What the hell convoluted reasoning is that? It's about what we expect from the left these days. Listen up fools. Schools teach kids to respect every religious symbol (except Christianity) and be tolerent of different dress codes (like men in dresses) but a dime sized symbol of our Country ...let me say it louder ...A DIME SIZED SYMBOL OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.. is deemed so offensive that lefties have no problem defending the employer for firing a person for wearing it. The world is upside down under liberalism.

You seem to speak on the incorrect assumption that his firing had anything to do with the American flag. It didn't.

A DIME SIZED SYMBOL OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.. is deemed so offensive that lefties have no problem defending the employer for firing a person for wearing it.
In this one case, perhaps, size doesn’t matter.

And aren’t you conservatives all about the absolute right of the private property/business owner being absolute?

The world is upside down under liberalism.

You’ve posted that before – it was as idiotic then as it is now.

Otherwise, the conflict this issue is causing the right is interesting and telling.

Social conservatives are upset an American was fired for expressing his patriotism.

Fiscal conservatives/libertarians are supportive of the private business owner’s right to make policy regardless how capricious.

The kids on the right need to decide which is more important: property rights or individual rights – in many cases they can’t have it both ways.

A DIME SIZED SYMBOL OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.. is deemed so offensive that lefties have no problem defending the employer for firing a person for wearing it.
In this one case, perhaps, size doesn’t matter.

And aren’t you conservatives all about the absolute right of the private property/business owner being absolute?

The world is upside down under liberalism.

You’ve posted that before – it was as idiotic then as it is now.

Otherwise, the conflict this issue is causing the right is interesting and telling.

Social conservatives are upset an American was fired for expressing his patriotism.

Fiscal conservatives/libertarians are supportive of the private business owner’s right to make policy regardless how capricious.

The kids on the right need to decide which is more important: property rights or individual rights – in many cases they can’t have it both ways.

I'm not upset they fired him; that's clearly lawful. I'm not even upset at what he got fired for. After all, I (and any other American offended by this policy, also have the right to simply take my business elsewhere. What I am disgusted by, is the popular culture that caused such a policy to be adopted in the first place. When THAT gets changed, perhaps such policies will not be so profitable as they are at the moment. You see we not only have a political struggle here, we also have a cultural war ongoing. Eventually, we will win that one too.

Why?

No.

Your a smart person read my post again think about what I said !

Forum List

Back