American Flag Symbol of Racism?

mgh80

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
So I got to thinking today, and for the record I'm against the Confederate flag being flown on public property (due to it being a flag that doesn't represent the USA)-but I support anybody's right to do so on private property (and I don't think most people who fly it do it for racist intentions)...but what about the US flag?

People are claiming that the Confederate flag is a symbol of racism/oppression because of slavery in the south. If that's your argument, fine.

However, with that logic how could the American flag NOT be a symbol of racism/oppression. After all the USA slaughtered millions of Natives, and their symbol was the American flag. During the Trail of Tears what flag did they fight under? The American flag.

So if the Confederate flag is a symbol of racism/oppression against black people...how could the American flag not be a symbol of racism/oppression against Natives?

You do have a point... but the difference is between America and the Confederacy is that America came out for the better. America learned and slavery was abolished, under that very same American flag.

You do have a point... but the difference is between America and the Confederacy is that America came out for the better. America learned and slavery was abolished, under that very same American flag.

I'm not so sure we came out better when it comes to the Natives though.

I'm not so sure we came out better when it comes to the Natives though.

But we cannot dwell on the sins of our past. We must look forward to the redemption our future brings.

The pain that thinking seems to cause some people. It's inspiring.

The American flag means different things to different people. To some...it is a symbol of aggression and oppression. To others...a symbol of freedom and opportunity.

Isn't it controversial? Let's discuss it!

The American flag stands for a democratic federalist republic not secession and slavery. And just last week that was demonstrated with two SCOTUS decisions. It stands for a unity that is difficult in the real world of politics and people.

It wouldn't be at all surprising to see this conversation on a national level before long.

Maybe we'll have a period of cleansing in this country in which we eliminate all words, phrases, symbols, icons and objects that may "offend" a certain political group.

The central government can then enforce these laws with a specific group of officers charged specifically with those crimes. Watching and listening for lawbreakers.

To prove our allegiance to these laws, perhaps we can have a phrase that we should recite, maybe with some kind of hand/arm movement, whenever those officers are around.

There might need to be something done about the specific religion that clearly offends these people more than other religions do and may present a threat to us all.

We'll be happy then.

Last edited:
It wouldn't be at all surprising to see this conversation on a national level before long.

Maybe we'll have a period of cleansing in this country in which we eliminate all words, phrases, symbols, icons and objects that may "offend" a certain political group.

The central government can then enforce these laws with a specific group of officers charged specifically with those crimes. Watching and listening for lawbreakers.

To prove our allegiance to these laws, perhaps we can have a phrase that we should recite, maybe with some kind of hand/arm movement, whenever those officers are around.

There might need to be something done about the specific religion that clearly offends these people more than other religions do and may present a threat to us all.

We'll be happy then.

That was awesome! You are brilliant.

We'll be happy then.

you want to compare the confederate battle flag, sent flying over segregationist states after they were forced to desegregate with the american flag?

okie dokie...

We'll be happy then.

you want to compare the confederate battle flag, sent flying over segregationist states after they were forced to desegregate with the american flag?

okie dokie...
Straw man, I'm not comparing the two flags.

As I clearly said, it wouldn't surprise me to see a conversation about the American flag. Two different flags.

So, it would not surprise me to see someone else compare the two.

Clear?

We'll be happy then.

okie dokie...

As I clearly said, it wouldn't surprise me to see a conversation about the American flag. Two different flags.

Clear?

Like you compared your imaginary liberal PC police to nazis? Like that? You didn't intend to intimidate anyone with that now, did you? That wouldn't be like you at all.

Good point, the freedoms that the flag represents are what ultimately destroyed slavery.

Probably not good enough argument for some, though.

Good point, the freedoms that the flag represents are what ultimately destroyed slavery.

Who? Who are you talking about?

Well, I can't help those people. History is my guide, not my emotions. :)

Well, I can't help those people. History is my guide, not my emotions. :)
We'll see if we're entering The Great Cleansing that I describe in Post 9 here before long.

We'll be happy then.

okie dokie...

Clear?

you're claiming to not compare the two flags, but you're making up in your head a circumstance where the flags are treated the same.

it was clear when i read your initial post. your pretense that you aren't doing what i said and calling it by another came is disingenuous. in other words, we see through you.

clear?

Forum List

Back