American female chess champ refuses to wear hijab in Iran tournament

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
The real issue here should be why do women have to have chess contests separate from the men.?? The answer is women are mentally inferior - but we're not allowed to say that.

Iran Demands US Champion Wear Hijab At World Competition, LOOK How She Instantly Responds

feb 22 2017 One American champion is voicing her opposition to “women’s oppression” by boycotting the women’s world chess championship in Iran rather than bow to Iranian demands that she wear a hijab, or headscarf.

“By participating, I would be forced to submit to forms of oppression designed specifically for women,” Nazí Paikidze insisted. “It sets the wrong example, particularly for young girls interested in chess.”

Paikidze, the current U.S. chess champion, could be competing for up to $100,000 in prize money. However, she has refused to attend the event.

Why did the US Chess Federation permit a worldwide chess tournament to be held in Iran? Is that not the height of insanity? The minute that Iran tried to impose this rule on the competitors the US Chess Federation should have withdrawn the tournament and rescheduled in another country. Iran should not have even been on the list! They need to get to the bottom of who arranged that deal. Was it Russia?

The real issue here should be why do women have to have chess contests separate from the men.?? The answer is women are mentally inferior - but we're not allowed to say that.

Iran Demands US Champion Wear Hijab At World Competition, LOOK How She Instantly Responds

feb 22 2017 One American champion is voicing her opposition to “women’s oppression” by boycotting the women’s world chess championship in Iran rather than bow to Iranian demands that she wear a hijab, or headscarf.

“By participating, I would be forced to submit to forms of oppression designed specifically for women,” Nazí Paikidze insisted. “It sets the wrong example, particularly for young girls interested in chess.”

Paikidze, the current U.S. chess champion, could be competing for up to $100,000 in prize money. However, she has refused to attend the event.

Sometimes you're against women's rights, sometimes you're for them -- make up your friggin' mind.

Why did the US Chess Federation permit a worldwide chess tournament to be held in Iran? Is that not the height of insanity? The minute that Iran tried to impose this rule on the competitors the US Chess Federation should have withdrawn the tournament and rescheduled in another country. Iran should not have even been on the list! They need to get to the bottom of who arranged that deal. Was it Russia?

I think it was the highest bidder. My guest is maybe they didn't know about this rule when they gave it to Iran.

Good for her. The sad part is they will dethroned her but the tournament become worthless because they didn't play against the current champion.
Oh well. There will be another tournament next year.

Chess is one of my favorite sports. My chess board is open, my iPad and cellphone is open all the time playing chess even when I'm here in USMB.
I go to Las Vegas at least 2x a year to play chess against the best.
There is an International Chess Event this June 14 to 18 this year to be held at Westgate in Las Vegas.
Every end of the year Dec. 26 to 30 there is a North American Open Chess tournament also in Las Vegas.

Wannabes like me play against grand masters not in the tournament but on the sides. We pay them somewhere from $25 to $50 for 15 minutes max per game but away from the tournament. That is a is a lot because they play very fast. There are no money in chess so this is the only they make money on the sides. So if a grand master play for 3 days that's quite a bit but they DO'NT get paid if they lose a game.
And they kick my ass all the time. Sometimes I won but my clock runs out so I still lose.

• Banned
Sometimes you're against women's rights, sometimes you're for them -- make up your friggin' mind.

You feminists need to make up your mind. You say women are equal to men and yet you insist that women are not smart enough to compete with men at chess!! THINK

14756900943661.jpg
5368.jpg
20140601shake.jpg

Chess is one of my favorite sports. My chess board is open, my iPad and cellphone is open all the time playing chess even when I'm here in USMB.
I go to Las Vegas at least 2x a year to play chess against the best.
There is an International Chess Event this June 14 to 18 this year to be held at Westgate in Las Vegas.
Every end of the year Dec. 26 to 30 there is a North American Open Chess tournament also in Las Vegas.

Wannabes like me play against grand masters not in the tournament but on the sides. We pay them somewhere from $25 to $50 for 15 minutes max per game but away from the tournament. That is a is a lot because they play very fast. There are no money in chess so this is the only they make money on the sides. So if a grand master play for 3 days that's quite a bit but they DO'NT get paid if they lose a game.
And they kick my ass all the time. Sometimes I won but my clock runs out so I still lose.
You must be a pretty strong player, Charwin.

Looks like a very oppressive atmosphere. I don't like it. CF boards were traditionally always the roll out chess board with the algebraic notation on the sides and bottom.

CHESS_SET2.jpg

Tournament style roll out board w/ alg. notation and Staunton Style chess pieces..

Where are the clocks? I don't see them. What's with the women on the left all dressed in blue and the coach in blue? The room is painted the same blue. Is that the Iranian chess team? If so, I've got a huge problem with that. Second problem is the boards. Are the guests playing on that team's boards? It looks to me like they are. It also looks like the Iranians were looking for a psychological advantage / intimidating the guests to their country. Very poor judgment on the part of the Chess Federation. VERY.

Last edited:

Good for her. The sad part is they will dethroned her but the tournament become worthless because they didn't play against the current champion.
Oh well. There will be another tournament next year.
Exactly. How can you have a tournament without the champion attending to have the opportunity to hold onto the title?

Looks like a very oppressive atmosphere. I don't like it. CF boards were traditionally always the roll out chess board with the algebraic notation on the sides and bottom.

CHESS_SET2.jpg

Tournament style roll out board w/ alg. notation and Staunton Style chess pieces..

Where are the clocks? I don't see them. What's with the women on the left all dressed in blue and the coach in blue? The room is painted the same blue. Is that the Iranian chess team? If so, I've got a huge problem with that. Second problem is the boards. Are the guests playing on that team's boards? It looks to me like they are. It also looks like the Iranians were looking for a psychological advantage / intimidating the guests to their country. Very poor judgment on the part of the Chess Federation. VERY.
20140601shake.jpg

this picture isnt for this tournament
i think its friendly match

CHESS_SET2.jpg

20140601shake.jpg

Prior to the tournament? I call it for what it is. An intimidation tactic. Who is the man behind the girls in blue? Their coach? Who is the woman at the head of the table with the Iranian flag to her right? I call it as I see it. Intimidation / trying to get a psychological advantage before the game. Let's face it, Dani. The world's best players have never come from Iran. Chess requires imagination and when you live in an oppressive country it is very difficult to see ahead because your mind is fixated on what is going to happen over yesterday. Which is why Iran is not a nation known for inventions of cars / or any other major modern invention I can think of. I feel sorry for the Iranian people. It must be awful to live there. I'm sure they studied very hard for (to win) this tournament as if their lives depended on it (it may have). Still, imagination is greater than knowledge. Einstein said so.

Women are mentally inferior!

It appears that's what women believe. Why else do they demand sexually segregated chess?
That presents the second problem because US Chess Federation tournaments are not segregated. When the rules of the CF are not followed the tournament is no longer legitimate. Technically this means that the current champion would hold her title. Until there is a legitimate tournament.

CHESS_SET2.jpg

20140601shake.jpg

Prior to the tournament? I call it for what it is. An intimidation tactic. Who is the man behind the girls in blue? Their coach? Who is the woman at the head of the table with the Iranian flag to her right? I call it as I see it. Intimidation / trying to get a psychological advantage before the game. Let's face it, Dani. The world's best players have never come from Iran. Chess requires imagination and when you live in an oppressive country it is very difficult to see ahead because your mind is fixated on what is going to happen over yesterday. Which is why Iran is not a nation known for inventions of cars / or any other major modern invention I can think of. I feel sorry for the Iranian people. It must be awful to live there. I'm sure they studied very hard for (to win) this tournament as if their lives depended on it (it may have). Still, imagination is greater than knowledge. Einstein said so.

Firouz Michael Naderi
200px-FirouzNaderi3.jpg

is an Iranian-American scientist who spent more than 30 years in various technical and executive positions at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) where he contributed to some of America's most iconic robotic space missions. He retired from NASA in 2016 and currently is a management consultant, an advisor to early-stage high-tech startups, and a public speaker.

you are propaganda victim . im sorry for you.

List of Iranian Americans - Wikipedia

Academia/Science[edit]

Forum List

Back